1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. MrTulip

MrTulip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've done some testing today in AMS2 and Dirt Rally2 with Varjo Aero, and so far my gut feeling is that any benefits of running OpenXR is eaten by OpenXR Tools themselves. (Steam has been set to use Varjo OpenXR and the game has been set to OpenComposite openvr_api.dll.)

At least this seems to have happened in DR2.0 where I get visibly lower performance and more stuttering with OpenXR Tools and OC openvr_api.dll together compared to just plain OC openvr_api.dll.

DR2.0 has always had odd tendency of getting slomo and boosts when it dips just under native HMD display framerate, which makes it really easy to spot how much more it struggles with OpenXR Tools on compared to having it off.

In AMS2 I don't see performance gains when I use OpenXR Tools + OC openvr_api.dll compared to what I get with Steam+VarjoXR using vanilla AMS2 openvr_api.dll. The latter looks much better quality wise, which beats the purpose altogether, as the gains of fixed foveated rendering pretty much require the use of MSAA High that is harder for the display adapter.

For testing I used OpenXR Tools to check FPS with OpenComposite and for SteamVR fpsVR to check the first lap performance at Laguna Seca (22 cars and clear day).

I noticed the effect in DR2.0 so late today that I haven't had time to check AMS2 with OpenComposite without OpenXR Tools, so I don't know yet whether the result will be smoother like it was in DR2.0 or not. It is hard to measure, of course, without the luxury of OpenXR Tools FPS overlay, so it is just about repeating the same scenario over and over and trying to spot whether the fps go under the smooth 90 fps in more less spots on the track than just the usual ones.

Also as I said, OpenXR Tools part in this is just a hunch by now; it also seems that some DR2.0 process crashes in the background as there is bugsplat on the desktop, yet curiously the game still works. So it might actually be so that when the game runs faster, it might do so just because the OC openvr_api.dll may have wiped out a proverbial obstacle from the rendering pipe.

2. WingmanBOT

WingmanBOT New Member

The FPS overlay in OpenXR Toolkit was known to suck some resources in the early betas but I think it’s resolved now.

I have an identical spec pc to you (G2) and I see a reasonable increase to allow scaling at 100% rather than 85% when using SteamVR. Quality of image and smoothness is very noticeable. Varjo headset and software is known for being more efficient so perhaps your gains are less.

Hoping that the menu/hud issue when using NIS or FRS is resolvable but not sure if that’s a toolkit or AMS issue?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

Do we know whether the menu/Hud issue is resolvable for sure? May pop over to the discord…

4. Xblurone

Xblurone Member AMS2 Club Member

Without menu and hud I’ll stick with steam for now. Also the distortion of fixed forfeiting on the outer ring is disturbing, getting horizontal lines etc which look like reflections of some sort that look very unnatural. Without nis/ fsr it also becomes a blurry mess for some reason…

5. mbucchia

mbucchia New Member

Hey! That reply to you was incorrect, the only limitation with AMD cards is that you cannot use Foveated Rendering in DX11 apps. But OpenComposite and the other features of OpenXR Toolkit will work fine on AMD.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

So I'm guessing that this doesn't work for Oculus headsets in AMS2. I have it working in rf2 as that loads VR through steam VR, and I've always used opencomposite to bypass steam VR. But in AMS2 there is an Oculus start up option and the OpenXR toolkit doesn't load using it. However, the newer opencomposite .dll file seems to work in AMS2, and it is much smoother as a result.

7. mbucchia

mbucchia New Member

Oculus mode (OVR) is not the same as OpenXR, it's totally expected that OpenXR toolkit would not work with it.

8. Xblurone

For oculus you don’t need it. Just run in oculus mode and use fov tangent multiplier. At 0.7;0.6 for much better results on max resolution. I wish we could do the same in openacc or steam vr natively. Ffr isn’t the same and fov reduction is linear instead of separately settable horizontal and vertical crop resolution.

9. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks. I do use the FOV tangent set to .80/.50 via the Oculus tray tool to gain headroom in my RiftS, but I thought the whole point of this programme was to use the FFR option to reduce the load on the headset while running full screen instead. Never mind, it does still work in rF2 anyway. And, again, the latest openvr.dll I dropped into the X64 folder using the opencomposite ini, seems to work fine.

10. richiehatchet

richiehatchet New Member

You can use both FOV tangent and FFR together. I'm using the vrperfkit tool in Oculus mode.

my settings for 5600X / 2070 Super / Quest 2, allows me to run MSAA High and Shadows High

FOV Tangent = 0.85;0.6
    FSR = off
    FFR inner/mid/outer ring = 0.66/1.33/1.4
    mid ring has to be high due to FOV tangent(?) or you get a circle of weird artefacts in the outer edges that look like reflections

Xblurone if you set FOV tangent before starting Steam VR, it's picked up by Steam VR as the headset's resolution (leave steam vr fov as 100%)

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  11. patrick le

patrick le New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey everyone - I got a chance to play with OpenComposite OpenXR a bit more. Few notes:

- I have a RTX 3080 + G2 headset there is no need to turn on FSR. If upscaling is disabled (not running FSR) I get great improvements with FFR alone. With FSR disabled the menus/hud still work and I'm running races mostly locked in at 90fps. I'm running mostly high/med graphic settings
    - With no FSR - there is no more slight shimmering in the distance

The above is currently my go to for AMS2...

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I also have motion compensation, don't you think it's worth it then? I work with fsr 1.1 as far as I know. Is this tool from nuscorpi only suitable for certain cards or for all? I still have little overview Greetings

13. amndingo768

amndingo768 New Member

Unfortunately can't get it to launch AMS2 in VR after following the instructions. There is an error: "Unknown string property - dev: 0, prop: 1006". I made the opencomposite.ini with "admitUnknownProps=enabled" with wordpad and placed in the x64 folder. This error message makes me think it is not reading that .ini file. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

14. Shpalman

Shpalman Member AMS2 Club Member

try to leave only that "admitUnknownProps=enabled" and delete all others

15. amndingo768

amndingo768 New Member

Thanks for the help. The folks on discord figured out my mistake. I did not have the windows explorer view options set to show all file extensions. Turns out it was actually saved as a .ini.txt file. Deleted the .txt off and it worked fine.

16. Xblurone

What are setting for rain please? I can’t get even I’m my 3080ti a stutter-free experience in the rain on my G2

17. Tregonhawke

Tregonhawke New Member

Hi @richiehatchet, I'm probably missing something, but why are your mid/outer rings greater than 1.0 ? Does that really still give you 4 different render zones ? I assume 1.0 (and above) is the whole image, so your example only has two FFR zones. Which would explain why you have no artefacts on the outer edges.

18. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

What do you use for motion compensation?

19. Mike Evans

Mike Evans Member

OVRMC

20. richiehatchet

richiehatchet New Member

I think it's because I'm running an anamorphic FOV using FOV tangent with the horizontal fov greater than vertical fov, aspect ratio 0.85/0.6 = 1.41. It's what I came up with using trial and error by increasing the ring figures to push the artefacts out wide enough not be visible.

• Like Like x 1