1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GTP/GR-C Lap time comparisions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Dylan Hale, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

The XJR-14 was boped mid season in IMSA in 1992. It was given a 50kgs weight penalty (or more, but i believe it was this) Which basically ruined their chances. The car was already braking wheels with the downforce it produced, and the extra weight made setting up the car a nightmare. Up to that point the Jaguar was dominating the races, and only mistakes and failures prevented it from winning them all.

Times at Magny cours: Williams FW14B in qualy : 1:13.864
    Philippe Alliot in the Peugeot: 1:16.415 (would be 8th on the grid for the F1 race)

The corvette GTP was an old chassis with less downforce than even the run of the mill 962 in IMSA. The only thing it had going for it was power, when equipped with the 3.4 V6 turbo. It had at least 25% less downforce than the C9.

In 1992 the jaguar did 1:09.856 at Mid-Ohio beating the toyota by more than a second. Given that that toyota got less power and more weight for the following year, its safe to say that the fastest car in IMSA back then was actually the XJR-14.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Pete Sauber chose fast drivers .....
    "Ve don't vant you boys to vad up ze car going too fast ...."
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been going through some stats, and yes, it seems like I remembered several things wrong. Thanks for the corrections!

Do you remember at which round was the weight penalty applied to the Jag? I do remember that its very low weight was a hot topic, which kinda boiled over after the tyre blowouts at Road Atlanta.

Now, back to the Vette GTP: are there any windtunnel numbers regarding the downforce it produced? Yes it had lots of power, but that was not enough around the street circuits that IMSA raced.

4. Richard Wilks

There are yes, here: Mulsanne's Corner Race Car Aerodynamics Database: 1985 Nissan-Lola 810

We can compare directly with the XJR-9 for example: Mulsanne's Corner Race Car Aerodynamics Database: 1988 Jaguar XJR-9

I believe the Jaguar got the penalty from Portland onwards. The season was marred with controversy about illegal fuels too.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Ouch, near half the downforce! Nope, the car we have in sim has bucketloads more of downforce, it's faster than the 962C even being a lot heavier.

I take back what I've said, this car has been massively sped up. I guess I understimated the big leap the GTPs did from mid to late 90s. On the track, this car in sim performs like something 3 or 4 years newer.

6. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

Yes, besides differences between 962 Wspc and 962 Imsa, the corvette gtp is not the Eagle mkiii or the Nissan zx (they are really 3'' faster of 962 and you need the late Jags to have some challenge). Grid positioning and race results are quite clear, and the "problem" is mainly in the excessive downforce of the corvette model in Ams2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Turbo Granny

Turbo Granny Well-Known Member

Just a tought I had, the Corvette GTP that is in game isnt the 85 season one is it? Maybe through the years until 89 it evolved something on the downforce or no? Seems to be the Corvette run by Peerless Racing in 88 and 89 acording to wikipedia.

8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The AMS2 corvette has less downforce than the other Gr.C cars actually. Believe it or not. ;)

It's tuned by engine mostly and has a critical suspension setup. The car is balanced well enough to extract a certain optimum from what it has.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  9. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

What does this mean then? That what the Porsche needs to get closer to the Vette is a better setup by we the users? (Not a problem with that personally, just want to know).

10. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The Porsche is the Dinosaur in the field pretty much. Its main disadvantage is engine power. So for setup -> boost, less cooling and good balance. But no chance on any high speed tracks naturally.

EDIT: and yes of course also reliability can be a strength

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  11. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep, on twisty tracks like street circuits or in poor weather conditions the Porsche can come to life with some set up work, but realistically, it biggest advantage will come in full distance races with ADM active. It should be both noticeably more fuel efficient and less prone to mechanical failure than the Corvette and Mercedes.

Still, I would not be opposed to either a GTP | Group C split when we have enough cars, or a Group C Era 1, Era 2 and Era 3, because whenever ya'll stop sitting on the Nissan's this problem is only going to get worse with the ZX turbo and R90c, both arguably the fastest cars of their time periods not screwed over by BOP like the Jaguars apparently were.

Also worth noting Aston Martin had a Group C car as well, the AMR1, also conveniently from 1989 like the C9

12. Turbo Granny

The ZX Turbo was teased at anypoint? I only remember the R390 GT1 and the R90C.

13. Dylan Hale

It hasn't, I'm just assuming under the assumption that Reiza wants to split the GTP and Group C cars.
    The ZX Turbo actually was the direct competition for the Corvette in the year it is modeled 1985-1986....
    Just as the R90C is the direct competition for the C9 Sauber, 962, and conveniently the AMR 1 in 1989-1990.

14. Turbo Granny

From the images I see in the internet the C4 GTP in game is the 88 with the small block V8

Anyway The ZX Turbo would be a great adition for a GTP class. I wonder what happened with that Nissan deal...

15. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

One of these beauties was sold for 'just' 320K the other day to one lucky new owner ^^ I just hope he fires it up every once in a while and that it doesn't collect too much dust.
    Ex-Peerless Racing Chevrolet Corvette GTP Race Car

So, Lola only built 7 of these beautiful machines. This is what a 10.2l V8 looks like, absolute monster of an engine block.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  16. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

You'll see it... :whistle:

17. Turbo Granny

My god imagine having one of these as a track day toy.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Turbo Granny

Well, color me intrigued :D

19. Dylan Hale

Oez has been teasing it too elsewhere?

20. Richard Wilks

The corvette GTP would have no chance against the Nissan GTP given that the model that would come would be probably the later GTP ZX with all the aero developments. In fact, the corvette had no chance against the 962 or the XJR-9 even back in 1988.

The nissan that reiza teased was the R89C, which was actually slower than the Sauber C9 back in 1989

• Informative Informative x 1