Forcing AMS2 to start on second/third monitor, and missing resolution in options menu

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Viperion_NZ, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Viperion_NZ

Viperion_NZ New Member

OK so I have a bit of a weird setup now with my new monitor; I have two monitors that are 1920x1080, and one that is 3440x1440 (1440p widescreen). The widescreen monitor is #3, and sits on the right hand side of my desk. I want to race on that monitor by itself.

Couple of things that aren't working:
    - AMS2 absolutely refuses to start on any monitor other than monitor #1. This is not a new issue. As far as I can tell the only way to "solve" this is to force the opening window, before the Reiza window shows, onto another screen using Alt-Windows-RightArrow. Is there a better way yet to tell AMS2 to start up on the #3 screen?
    - there appears to be no 3440x1440 option in the resolution options in the "Performance" options screen. In fact the only 1440p option appears to be a triple screen one (10420x1440).

To get it working on my new monitor tonight, I had to dive into an XML file and manually enter 3440 and 1440 into the right fields. When I did that it forces that resolution (which is good) but because my #1 screen is 1920x1080 the window doesn't "fit" and I can't move the loading window onto the correct screen.

So what I had to do was force that change through the XML and change my #3 monitor to be my "main" monitor in the Windows setting, which is less than ideal.

There must be an easier way to get the game, at the right resolution, on the right screen. What am I missing?

2. Piston Broke

Piston Broke New Member

yup, the only sim that lets you choose which monitor it starts up on is Raceroom, such a simple thing, one would think, to be implemented, yet completely missing from a shed full of games.

3. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Did you try setting the 3rd monitor as the 1st one when you wanna race?
    There is a guide too.

Another solution involves Steam. Install Steam and start it up in Big Picture mode, under display settings, select the monitor you want to play the game on. By doing this steam changes the windows primary display temporarily until you leave big picture mode. You can add non steam games to your steam library as shortcuts so you can launch any game (or any other program) via Big Picture which launches on the display you chosen.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  4. Piston Broke

Piston Broke New Member

Or. Reiza could just implement an option in the settings and save everyone a lot of faffing about :whistle:

• Like Like x 1