1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Real Weather Report Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Random weather uses the same slot function and normal weather.

I believe real weather is based on time progression.

2. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have no idea about real weather, but on random I think it's one slot per condition, so if the random condition is overcast and you have only one slot, the whole race will be overcast.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

Instead of using real weather in my custom championship and so I have some unexpected situations I asked my wife to assign 2 slots to each race and to the practice sessions so I don’t know what’s coming. Some don’t change much at all and some wet to dry and vice versa. I told her to try and be realistic depending on location.
    The track condition and grip transitions are spot on and it has either dried up slowly as expected with a line forming over multiple laps making me cool down the wets as it wasn’t quite time for slicks. On the other hand when it has started raining the track has progressively over a lap or two lost it’s grip as expected.
    For me these transitions feel perfect so it must be real weather screwing up.
    To note I do not speed up time everything is run in real time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How long are the races? If you are using real time each slot is an hour, so the weather wont change at all if the session is shorter and you are not using sync to race. I think I might just do 2 or 3 random weather slots with sync to race time progression, to see if that works in custom championships.

5. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

sorry I use sync to race yes , Most races 45 minutes to an hour

6. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

Right, correct.

Right, I mean, yeah you can do that, but that just seems so unnecessary right? Why can't the game do it? It could, if it implemented a system like this Custom Random Weather Generator. Except even this is not perfect because you choose the number of slots. The game should choose. And if you do it yourself, random slots, you still know how many slots there are, and how fast they'll cycle through. If it's real time and you race for an hour you know you'll get 1 slot of static weather. If its x2 or x5 it'll be 2 slots in 1 hour race or 5. You'll know how long each one will last. You know the weather will probably change. It really breaks immersion due to the inherent artificial nature of it. This is why getting Real Weather to work will truly take the game way, way above anything pCARS2 was able to achieve.

So, anyway, i'm gonna retry the championship using Real Time and Real Weather and see if the results are better. But this'll be problematic 'cuz what happens if I want to do an IMSA championship with the 24 hour cycle? It's very cool it works in Single Race. I hope they get it working in Championship mode. And if not, implement that Random Weather Generator. It doesn't change anything in how the game handles weather. Just take away the spoiler aspect of how it currently does it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

This would be my proposed work around

Have the game choose the number of slots, between 1 and 4, and set it sync to race. The higher the chance of rain, the more slots you get. Don't tell the player how many slots are chosen. Only inform the player "hey, we're choosing the number of slots, this is the % chance of rain". Call the mode "Dynamic Weather".

I think implementing such a system is imperative in case Real Weather eventually breaks/expires due to licenses or whatever else, like it eventually did in pCARS2

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  8. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

30/01/2023

imola 2001

real weather 14:00

snow wetness?

upload_2023-1-30_21-24-44.jpeg

9. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

i hope to see rainbow after rain or on its conditions. it will be great

10. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm testing Group C cars right now, trying to establish the exact differences between them. So I wanted to test at Spa 93, using the weather conditions from Spa 480km of 1989. So I set date at 17/09/1989, and asked for real weather, at 12:00 PM.

I don't know if this is a feature or not, but you don't get the same conditions each time. While air and track temperature remain the same, sometimes I'm getting a dry track, while others I'm getting a moist track. While it doesn't change the driving experience much, it does impact my testing, so I will just replicate it with the weather conditions that I want from now on.

Question: is this behavior a feature or a bug?

11. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

An issue what bothers me a lot:
    Is there any reason why I have to synchronize PC clock each time when starting AMS2 to get current real weather?
    If it is not synchronized real weather is just available back to a date when it was synchronized.

Changing battery at the main board didn't help
    And since some weeks, everytime when doing a synchronization, PC / Windows 11 hangs up. Nothing is working anymore, just a hard shut down. No input from keyboard or mouse. I don't know why.

Isn't there a solution without a synchronized PC clock? I don't think that there is a lack of more than some milliseconds....

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Are other people dong something special with their PC clocks to use RealWeather? I thought we all just clicked the AMS 2 icon and played the game? These days of online everything, who doesn't have their clock set automatically to their network time?

13. alink

In Windows there is a fix period of 1 week for auto synchronization. No option to set it daily. Just in registry.
    I wonder, why clock has to be synchronized? Is it necessary that time has an accuracy of ms so that real weather works, isn't seconds or a minute enough?
    I changed the router as well. I don't know why there is this issue and what to do.

14. Waylon

Waylon New Member

Hi,

Not sure if this has been covered already, but I keep coming across 2 issues.

1. Discrepancies between the real historic weather in single player to multiplayer mode.

I have several examples but the latest one is at Fontana, Auto Club Speedway Sports Car Course. Date: 03/01/23 Time: 16:00 Time Progression x 5. Laps: 10 Car: F-USA Gen 3

In single player mode it’s raining at the start, drying steadily through the race and ending with a light haze. (I can recommend it!) In multiplayer it’s dry and full sun.

2. Weather not the same in different race sessions.

When i set the qualifying start time the same as the race, the weather and track conditions are not the same.

If anyone can shed some light on these issues it would be appreciated.

15. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm 99 % certain that quali and practice do not happen on the same day as the race, but can't find a post confirming it for the life of me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. John Manetti

John Manetti Active Member AMS2 Club Member

yes this is a nuisance for me too, because every time you have to go manually to synchronize the Windows clock, in order to make the weather work in Single Player.

I want to clarify instead of in the MP if you try to create a MP room with the real weather at the current time of reality. this will not play, but will set the room to random weather by four slots for each session. HERE

This is an almost two year old bug, reported by me multiple times, and still not fixed. I think it's not that hard to fix it.

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Q = 1 day prior to Race. P = 2 days prior to Race. Does not yet show-up in the UI, which would be very useful!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Claudio Araujo de Almeida

Claudio Araujo de Almeida New Member

Hi guys.
    Why real weather isn't updating since 29 april?

19. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Maybe due to there not being an update to the game since then

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. alink

My last real weather is 27th April 2023