VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Chuck a towel over the monitor and test

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree that it does seem to be too dramatic a difference, even for that.
    However, I'm not sure what you mean by OpenXR for Windows interfering with OpenXR Toolkit. the OpenXR for WMR app is just a UI that lets you change a few WMR options. You still need the WMR runtime. OpenXR Toolkit is just an OpenXR layer, it can't do anything without an OpenXR runtime (in this case WMR). If anything, it is the thing that is 'interfering'. There may be some conflict, and you could disable the toolkit temporarily to see if you get the same behaviour. You could also enable the WMR frame timing overlay to see if it tells you where the delay is - GPU or CPU.
    Good luck either way - I hope you're able to get to the bottom of it. If you do, please update us here to help out anyone else who hits the same issue.
    Cheers

3. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

I completely agree with the conflicting info and I also don't understand how it would/could work . Just saw the post on Reddit with some people saying it solved their issue. I will try later this week and give feedback here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would shutting off the monitor work for not overheating it, or it's also a matter of avoiding reflections. I could do both...

I have a Lenovo Explorer VR, and its inside-out tracking is maybe too primitive and somedays it drives me nuts.

5. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

Shadow causes stutters

I have Quest 3 and using Oculus runtime. I play at 72hz with 1.5x supersampling in Oculus App. I noticed some microstutters recently and recorded a 2 laps race at Imola with 13 cars in the grid.

PC Specs: AMD Ryzen 7600, RTX 4070Super, 64GB RAM at 6000mhz

Test run with shadows: Everything is maxed out except grass and particles. The weather is sunny. As its seen, neither CPU or GPU bottlenecks the system. Yet, the frametimes are not stable at all. There are microstutters and time to time, there are stutters as well.
    upload_2024-2-21_21-46-14.png

Test run without shadows: Every setting is the same except the shadows are OFF. The weather is sunny, too. The big stutters are gone and microstutters are decreased. The load on the GPU and CPU didn't change that much.
    upload_2024-2-21_21-47-22.png

Comparison: The lows are much better without shadows. Thus, less stutter happened.
    upload_2024-2-21_21-52-7.png

Is this behaviour normal even thou there is no GPU and CPU bottleneck in both cases? What is the matter with the shadows that can cause this much stutter? Could it be LoD issue?

Attached Files:

6. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Nice to see some real numbers and analysis here. Given there are no obvious usage bottlenecks from gpu or cpu (max thread is the one to look at here, rather than total) then it's probably waiting for something, but that can be hard to track down without detailed application traces. Could be io, could be memory (RAM or VRAM). Not sure if CapFrameX can help here.
    Also worth noting, that tools like CapFrameX have to use a certain amount of guesswork as they don't have full visibility of what the application/game is doing. In particular, there is always a certain amount work that goes into generating each frame that isn't captured by the hooks it uses.
    Hopefully Reiza can look at this, reproduce and maybe discover an as yet unknown problem or optimisation to improve things.

7. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

I checked the RAM and VRAM usage and those were fine as well. Even though there was a wait, it wasn't because of insufficient resources. VRAM usage was around 7.5 GB which is way lower than what 4070super has. (12GB)

To be honest, there are still microstutters even without the shadows. It's better than before but it's still there. I hope someone from Reiza have a look to it.

8. Zask

Zask New Member

I had the odd microstutters, changing render frames ahead from 1 to 3 in performance settings fixed it for me. I run a 12 core amd processor with a 3090 to a G2 headset.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

Thanks, I'll try it out. Have you noticed any input latency with this change?

10. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

Render frames ahead 3 helped a bit but it didn't eliminate all the microstutters. I also disabled the Windows Defender but no luck. I think something is wrong with the game engine in VR, especially shadows, which are problematic. But even without shadows, there should be some other setting that causes microstutters.

11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I hope not because I’m about to buy a new PC an VR, just for AMS2.

12. ulotrix

ulotrix Member

I don't know if everybody noticed this or even if they had it at the beginning. I might be a bit picky. It's not that bad after I tweaked it but it's still there.

13. FearFactor

FearFactor New Member

Sorry for late reply. To be honest never done that coz never had such problems. But thanks for this hint and i will check it.

14. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

About the AMD motion reproduction issue with openxr. Uninstalling openxr for windows did nothing. The issue remains.

Tested in daylight without opponents with perfect normal performance. Turning motion reprojection on crushes framerate from 90 to 20. Something very strange is going on for AMD.

Would love to hear about other AMD users with openxr and motion reprojection.

15. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Is anyone else experiencing some weird issue with VR camera movement on Quest 3 with Virtual Desktop ? I am using the camera fully locked to the car and when steering there seems to be some occasional odd jitter i cannot explain. The framerate is totally smooth at 72hz, response time is at an average 10 ms, no problems in that area, yet going through corners i notice some weird occasional jitter, often enough where it is annoying.

16. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Try shadows off

17. CaptainPeanut

CaptainPeanut New Member

The in-game Helmet Overlay is bugged on the Formula Reiza car. It's partially transparent, so you are able to see the steering wheel through what should otherwise be a solid material. The Helmet Overlay works as it should on every other car I've raced in the game, so I think the Formula Reiza is the only one that is bugged.

On a separate note; raindrops still do not appear on our "visor" (face) despite having the option turned on in the settings. Come on Reiza, this has been a bug since the release of the game (actually since Project Cars 2, which has the same bug).

Attached Files:

18. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

Set Textures to MEDIUM. Even with spare VRAM, Madness Engine stutters streaming Textures. And track Textures, because microstutters happens more even in the same parts of track. Maybe the engine have a hard limit of track Textures loading, even with lots of VRAM.

Shadows I set only at MEDIUM too. But shadows at different levels impact FPS more even and no microstutters at LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
  19. Djangopass

Djangopass Formula Vintage cars

Hi all. I couldn`t find a specific related topic on this argument but it is somehow related to the VR.
    When I try to customize the HUD (Light, Cockpit, Chase, Bumper) in VR I cannot click with the mouse pointer onto the bottom row. It looks like the screen I see doesn`t match with the region my mouse can reach. When I try to do this not using VR I have no problem. The problem is that if I modify something in Monitor view this is not portable to the VR view. Anyone experience the same?

PS. Is it possible to switch off the Bumper HUD avoiding to cycling on it during the race?

20. Mad Day Man

Mad Day Man Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a similar problem. I need to fiddle around a lot to hit the right spot with the mouse, so i can move the elements and turn their status. You have to be very sensitive with your mouse and look exactly when a HUD element gets highlighted, then quickly hit the left mouse button and move the element. Needs much patience, but at the end it is possible for me and i got somehow used to it.

• Like Like x 1