1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steering Linearity

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Andrew Holmes, Apr 2, 2020.

1. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Not sure exactly what you mean by snappy? IMHO the V8s feel like I would expect and the karts feel reasonably close to real karts, they break away quickly and you need to be fast on the wheel to catch them.

What's the actual issue you find? At Interlagos I use max 90 deg rotation for all corners, most around 45 deg:

Is it that you are finding it hard to feel the grip through the FFB so that you are turning more than needed without realising and so mostly understeering?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

This would be my guess. Understeer is very hard to feel with the default FFB, especially if you haven't optimised the settings. The result is you understeer without realising, then the wheels find some grip, and that makes the car "snap" and feel very twitchy. Getting your FFB sorted so that you can feel understeer properly is the key.

3. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Let's start with the v8's. I always feel akward with this car. It s like having a baloon between the car and my wheel. Or like the weight balance from left to right is strange and very noticeable. Or like i have a wrong setup...Here are the default settings in my car setup menu

IMG-1665
    IMG-1666

Do you have same settings as well?

Btw my ffb settings: 60/48/100 (g27)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  4. NuScorpii

@Haris1977 Yes, I have the same settings. The only change I've made is to the brake balance (56/44) but that doesn't affect the overall handling, just the stability under braking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

The thing is that i only have this feeling with this car. Not with others. Maybe this car over-exaggerates this “weight transfer” feeling or is it smth with my setup or..i m out of ideas

Anyway lets give some time to Reiza, maybe there is a fix for that

6. NuScorpii

I've just seen your edit with the FFB settings added. 100 FX seems very high, have you tried using less? I wonder if you could be getting some odd clipping artefacts.

7. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Yes i ve tried with various values between lfb and fx, off as well. Even with values close to zero, weight balace / baloon feeling is there. Less, but there. This not about clipping. It is a matter of physics / setup. Snappiness is a second thing.

Maybe it is smth specifically to g27 owners or some of them.

8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

To be honest, it might be something with the game, but just on your end. I mean, I find the V8 absolutely fine to drive, one of my favourites. Yet I find the Camaro ridiculously "snappy" and twitchy, despite others saying that it is fine for them.

9. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I also find the camaro snappy, even on 14 degree on settings. I m sure there will be some updates until the v1.0 release, i m pretty sure they are watching us

But for the time i dont touch the v8s and sc brazil (same weight balance problem but less than the first). Karts and camaros do nt have physics / setup problems. They are just too snappy for me (@karts dor is 180) with no wheel setup atm.

I will just wait for updates

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  10. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Ironically, I find the V8s one of only 2 cars enjoyable to drive (using xbox controller) - Unos being the other. All the rest feel odd and I agree that Camaros are very snappy.

I fear controller users will be ignored and all efforts will be put into giving only wheel users the optimised experience.

11. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

The Super V8 weighs 1.5TON, so it's not going to feel the most nimble when throwing it around.

The ARC Camaro is a very short wheel base, so that should inherently feel more snappy. Just like old tarmac rally cars,, Talbot sunbeams etc...They often kicked the arse out aggressively and gripped back up aggressively, while longer wheelbase cars like Mantas were more progressive, for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. KCW

KCW Member

I did find them snappy when i first got the game, but not since the update. Snappy by definition id call it over sensitive to steering inputs.
    I agree with all that, the Camaro tends to want to lose the arse very quick.

the V8 Supercars seem to drive pretty close to those in rF2, not quite as good, but still good none the less.

13. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

My mistake. It is kind the opposite. @sampopel is right. Too much of the movement happens after 20 - 25 dor in an akward and sudden way. And yes i ve recalibrated my wheel and pedals many many times as ppl suggested here. I even re downloaded the game.

This is strange and shouldnt be happening.

14. NuScorpii

I had something very strange that happened quite similar in the karts initially. And every time I took a wide line near the pit entrance it felt like it wanted to go a bit towards the pits. Control was odd a bit like how you describe. Steering Assist was off, but I tried enabling and then disabling it again just to make sure and the odd behaviour stopped and karts felt much better.

Try enabling Steering Assist, try it out to see if it makes a difference then disable it and try again.

15. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I did enable the steering assist, then off. To my surprise it made no difference. I ve seen that if you leave sensitivity=50 this effect is less noticeable, but lowering that number (i ve set it to 42), makes it appear again.

I guess there is smth strange here. I think the 50 value is the "right" one, and the default one for wheels with900 dor (?) but for me all cars are undrivable with that value.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  16. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

I have found that this behaviour is car dependant. There are cars (like the evo's) where too much of the movement happens after 20 / 25 dor and there are other cars (like the sprintrace) where too much of the movement happens between 0 - 20 / 25 dor.

So this is a quite strange feeling in all cars atm

• Like Like x 2
  17. sampopel

Yeah, I'm finding this too on xbox controller. I don't know what the linearity graph looks like for steering (possibly varies from car to car) but I don't think it'll be a nice straight line or a gently curved line, more like a sine wave or something bizarre, with sudden increases in steering across the full range.

Doing a direct back-to-back comparison with AMS1, same cars and tracks:

In AMS1, the steering feels terrific for all cars, I really feel confident going into corners at speed and it feels natural holding the car on a line throughout the corner. I can throw the cars around and feel in control. Most of all, it's great fun.

In AMS2, taking corners is a choppy experience. I have to hold the controller in EXACTLY the right place for the duration of the corner because even the slightest movement of the controller from that position will cause the car to lurch and slide. On long corners, this lurching can repeat numerous times throughout the corner. Even those cars that feel least bad (eg. V8s) still have the lurching, it's just less pronounced and more manageable. It's just not feeling right.

In AMS2, trying to drive the Forumla cars at racing speed around Monaco/Azure is (for me) impossible because the car is lurching around into the barriers at the slightest of movement in the controller. I presume it can't be as bad with a steering wheel otherwise everyone would be complaining.

AMS1 feel very similar to rFactor - ie. extremely enjoyable to drive.
    AMS2 feel very much like PCars2 did - ie. tolerable at the best of times, unpleasant and even undriveable at worst.

18. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

Yes. I feel that the linearity “graph” is not right. As i said before, if you leave sensitivity to 50, this is less noticeable. As you decrease or increase (?) that value, smth is weird in the car(s) feeling.

I know it is difficult to play but check your steering with sensitivity=50. I think this is the “right” value. Apart from the steering snappyness that you will have, this “changable linearity” is not so obvious with that value (50). Then check other values too to compare.

I ve already emailed @Renato Simioni to check that out when he has the time. 100% different feeling than the AMS1

19. sampopel

I think the steering sensitivity value of 50 may be for steering wheels only. The default value for xbox controller is something like 17. Anyway, I've tried 17, 50, 100 and 0 and all have the same choppyness in steering.

I'm trying to perceive exactly what the problem is and I think part of it for me might also be to do with the speed at which the steering wants to re-centre (ie. immediately in AMS2). As you turn a corner, you are naturally making small adjustments in your steering as you go round the corner. As I'm making these adjustments, on AMS2, I'm noticing the steering is wanting to immediately snap back to centre much more that when steering in AMS1, which seems to dampen out these minor adjustments in a nice spongy way, making the whole experience in AMS1 nice and smooth, compared with the choppyness of AMS2. I have controller damping set to 100 in ASM2 (I have tried other values from 0 upwards) and the choppyness is always there - lower damping values just makes the cars more twitchy.

This is particularly noticeable at, for example, turn 1 at Donington where, every time I take that corner at racing speed in AMS2, the cars seems to briefly but noticeably straighten up 3 times throughout the corner, I think in response to me making minor corrections as I take the corner.

I accept that with a wheel, because you have much larger range of movement (eg. 180 degrees left and right, or whatever you have set up) compared with a controller stick (1cm left and right), then you can far more easily make small adjustments with larger wheel movements and also hold the wheel at the correct angle using one or both hands far more easily than balancing a little stick at exactly the correct angle using just your thumb, where even 1mm movement can be significant. But other sims (including AMS1, rFactor, RaceRoom) have proven an analogue thumbstick can still give a very enjoyable driving experience.

My guess if the rFactor physics engine is doing some nice analogue smoothing of some sort to make the steering with a controller (and wheel) feel smooth and natural in AMS1, whereas the Madness engine is doing it differently (less well or not at all).

20. Haris1977

Haris1977 Active Member

You can also tell your thoughts to Renato too (you can send him email) in order to investigate it. Or post it in bug section. I m guessing your problem relates to mine and maybe it s not only you and me, or for some reasons may not be noticeable to all users.

This is my number 1 problem atm. An other one is that for me karts and v8's are undriveable (these are the only to vehicles in which the steering lock in edit car option are greyed out)