1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HUD Customisation - VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Goffik, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or is the HUD editor in VR mode completely broken? Half the widgets can't be selected or moved at all... eg, track map, lap timing, mini-Motec. Also, I can't seem to move any of the items in the "Message" category at all. Finally, setting the delta widget to full for the Lite HUD makes it appear during editing, but when driving it is still not visible.

All of these things work fine in 2D mode as far as I can tell, but the settings don't carry over to VR. You have to edit it all again, except you can't.

Which brings me onto a question... where is the file where the HUD widget positions are saved? Being able to edit the file manually would be better than nothing until the in-game editor is fixed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing here? The HUD editor is still not working in VR. I still can't select or move the track map, lap timer, mini-motec or anything in the Messages category. Is this just affecting me alone or what?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Baku

Baku Member

I was struggling to manage the HUD in VR yesterday and done racing without any since it is pain in the back ATM. However, the only thing that worked for me is to get the HMD off in the HUD edit mode, catch the HUD element with my mouse on the 2d screen and then putting the HMD back reposition it on the VR space using mouse ( most probably a screen resolution mismanagement ). I wish the 1-9 num buttons ( zoom/rotation ) would work with every HUD element separately and not altogether. Moreover I could not manage keeping, say pedals and gears element only and disable all the others - still a confusion for me. Hopefully Reiza will improve the VR HUD. Kinda wish the AC Race Essentials app would be available for AMS2 ;) polished and working in VR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you're doing this. On my monitor I can see the outline boxes of all the widgets, but I still can't even select them, let alone move them. How are you getting your mouse over far enough to click widgets like the track map and mini-motec instead of their outline boxes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

You need to use a gamepad (an Xbox controller) to repo the HUD. It was the same with PCars2.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Woodee

Woodee Simracing Junkie AMS2 Club Member

i was able to move elements around with the mouse with the Valve Index.

7. Baku

Baku Member

I just clicked on the hud element itself ignoring the outline boxes.

8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Yeah, well that was my problem. On my monitor the actual HUD elements on the right and bottom of the VR layout are off the screen and unselectable.

However, I did find a solution thanks to you. :) I thought perhaps you have a monitor with a bigger resolution than my 1920x1080. So, I forced AMS 2 to run in windowed mode at the resolution of my Rift S, which is 2560×1440. Hey presto, all the HUD elements were selectable and moveable. Customised the HUD, restarted the game in usual resolution, and all is well.

They do need to fix this issue though as it's not exactly an elegant solution!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

It still sucks if you don't have a monitor bigger than 1080p though. :(

How do you force AMS2 to run at a higher resolution than 1080p, if that's the highest the monitor can run at? It won't let me go any higher in-game, when in windowed mode.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  10. Baku

Baku Member

I am glad it worked out for you. My monitor is 1440p. As I have mentioned it looks like a resolution mismanagement.
    Have you tried/succeeded to get the pedals hud moved ?

11. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

interestingly i use a 1920x1080 window on a 4k TV, but have no problem with my HP-Reverb customising the VR HUD.
    Could it be an Oculus related problem?
    With my old Oculus CV1 i had a similar problem with pCARS2 too

@Baku : Telemetry HUD is not editable

12. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Nope. It's not an option in the editor, as far as I've seen. I've been looking for the file where your custom HUD settings are saved, because we may be able to edit it manually. I can't seem to find it though.

I'm thinking yes, it probably is. Perhaps if I were to run the game in SteamVR mode, the HUD editor would work normally?

13. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

try. With Oculus you can try SteamVR.
    With my Reverb i can't try Oculus SDK ;)

14. Baku

Baku Member

Thx. Maybe in the future.

15. Joshua Lukins-Claydon

Joshua Lukins-Claydon New Member

This worked perfectly thanks.

Also if you click the help tab, the screen is straight out of PC2, background and all, I think they forgot to change it!

16. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Had to use the controller method too just now, please fix HUD customization whilst using VR (Quest 2 here so might be an Oculus issue).
    When you use a gamepad you can actually use it as a mouse to select and move widgets around, so maybe better to copy that cursor method over instead of the regular mouse cursor for VR users, which is always offset or doesn't work.

17. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It kind of depends a little on the VR set. Previously I used quest 2 and HUD set up was really difficult. The problem is if you click on the object nothing happens. You have to hunt a little with your mouse till you find the "anchor". It will always be ff the object. Off by some way.
    With my current Reverb head set it's a little easier.

At least that's what I found - haven't used the quest for a while but this is what I remember.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mister dog

Yeah I knew about this already (and it's also annoying) but with me the below widgets were not selectable at all anymore. I tried hovering my mouse cursor all over the place to see if I would eventually highlight it but to no avail. It does look like an Oculus VR issue indeed going of all the feedback.

19. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

I haven't dared to touch my VR HUD for over a year now, in case I break things, :D but from what I can remember, for some reason, the higher your desktop monitor resolution, the more closer aligned the two vertical planes(and therefore each element's grab points) are.
    I only have a 1080p monitor, So it's hard for me to set Windows to a higher res and try it.

20. mister dog

Controller method works like a charm though, if you have one for your PC you can get over your stage fright :D

• Like Like x 1