1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive frame drops at random(ish)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Aletdownofstate, May 10, 2020.

1. Aletdownofstate

Aletdownofstate Maldonado's Front Wing

I can't confirm exactly when this started, but I first noticed from 0.8.4.0 and seems to have gotten worse with 8.9.1.0.

I typically get around 140-180fps. Lately it seems, I get huge frame drops where the game drops to 10-20 fps for a second or two, for no appreciable reason. It seems to be at roughly the same sections of track each time, but not necessarily lap to lap.

It doesn't seem to be track/car combo specific, at least with the ones I've tried so far. And now happens on track/car combos that it previously didn't happen on (Eg Interlagos GP in the Formula V10, not that I had any problems with hitching/frame loss before now.) Also happens at the same points in replays.

PC temps all normal, no throttling going on. Doesn't seem to happen in any other game.

Win10 v1909.
    GeForce GRD 445.87 (latest)

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. ohyeah2389

ohyeah2389 It's The Little Things

Getting this too, but it's a lot less often and much shorter when it does, freezing for 1-3 tenths of a second. No idea what affects it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Seems strange with your spec. Are sure there is no background process eating something?
    Or just an idea - check DPC latency, some times drivers/hw can spike. Dunno, could be a weird combination of things with this engine.

4. Aletdownofstate

Nah, nothing running in the background that you wouldn't expect to be, or that could produce a massive spike like that. I figured the only change I had made recently was installing RTX Voice, wondered if that was interfering. No difference with it off.

I believe it does roughly coincide with when I updated to the latest Nvidia driver, so I'll try rolling back a version or two to see if it makes a difference. Will look into checking the DPC latency too, see if anything anomalous pops up.

Will also run it on my second machine to see how it performs on that, i7 4790, GTX 1660Ti, 16GB DDR4, so it terms of performance it'll run it perfectly fine, it's on Win7 though so maybe that'll factor into it. Win10 1909 could just be jank somewhere.

EDIT

I'll see if there's any funkyness going on in PCars 2 as well.

Quick test on the other machine. Same settings, other than an overall lower framerate due to less powerful hardware, it's running flawlessly. Was on a different GRD though, so updating it to the latest now to see if that makes a difference.

At the very least I can play it again while I diagnose what's going on with this machine.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  5. Madonion

Madonion Member

iv had weird issues when i set my page filing myself. i set my page filling back to auto but anyway

15k likes might give this a try?

6. Baku

Baku Member

I get the some of this in VR from time to time. Using the 960EVO NVMe, frankly I have blamed the VR itself on those drops, but since it looks that flats are getting the similar hiccups I have just disabled the windows game mode recordings to give it a try. Thx @Madonion .

7. Aletdownofstate

Already tried auto/manual, didn't seem to make a difference.

Already had it disabled.

I actually think it's fixed. I just found that I had a random, optional Windows update. Upon installing it and restarting, I seem to have got a framerate boost of up to 40fps (2-220 now) and the drops seem to have more or less stopped. I still get one by the S/F line at Kyalami, but it's only down to like 175fps so that's not a big deal.

Need to test more extensively, and it VR but the 20 minutes I had the game on seemed okay.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Baku

Baku Member

I hope it is !
    Then it is most probably some random Windows app background [update] process. Might try to try playing with my antivirus disabled for testing.

9. Touno71

Touno71 Member

I have the same problem that happens randomly.
    It is impossible for me to play correctly because it happens without knowing why, even though I have no program running in the background.
    It's been 3-4 days since the problem occurred when it never happened and it is only on automobilista that it happens.
    Did you find a solution ?

10. Aletdownofstate

No permanent solution. I've been reading a lot that it's primarily down a Win10 thing and that people are waiting on it being fixed in the v2004 update. I'm getting on a few other games, but not all.