1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to VR - Observations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by InfernalVortex, May 20, 2020.

1. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I will preface this with saying, I've just had my first VR session ever 30 minutes ago, and I dont know what is normal or is not normal for VR yet.

But I immediately cut 2 seconds off my "Kansai" laptime in the Formula V12 within 30 minutes. I'd been struggling for a couple of weeks to string together decent laps there. Then I switched over to the Formula Vintage and lapped Imola 72 which was notoriously difficult to me when I first started, but I ended up breezing around it powersliding everywhere. I found that I was catching slides constantly and it almost didnt matter how sideways I got the car I could keep the slide and the car going the right direction most of the time. I started pushing things til it got too far, but it was incredible how suddenly intuitive the oversteer was to correct even in the Formula V12

My question to you guys, does VR significantly improve perception of minute oversteer? Or is this more because my VR headset has lower latency than my gigantic TV monitor that my laptimes are so much better? My television is in game mode, and has ~13ms latency. This is excellent for a television, but terrible for a monitor. I can see the latency when I turn the wheel quickly, but you really have to be looking for it. It is pretty fast for a television. Is this enough to account for the difference? I suddenly feel like Michael Schumacher with the headset on. It's a wild experience, not sure how I'll feel going back to racing on a proper monitor now...

The other thing that I noticed was braking zones and turn in points seemed a lot more obvious, but I kind of expected that. What I didnt expect is how much more obvious camber and crowns in the road surface would be. You can just perceive it a lot better in VR. At least I can.

What do you guys think?

Edit: sorry guys I didn’t even see the VR thread. If the mods could move it that would be great, or delete if that’s more appropriate.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Cliff

Cliff Member

The difference is that you are now in the middle of the 1:1 3D simulation rather than looking at a small 2D representation of it through a small window. Everything is now more natural and intuitive and is bound to give you greater positional awareness.

Welcome to VR.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. eSTee3

eSTee3 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have triples and VR. For me, triples is for when I want to race online (better framerate and car detail), while VR is for practicing and setting lap times. Once the online has ratings to keep the dive bombers out of races, then I'll use VR for online. iRacing is a perfect example of this type of game. I use VR for everything iRacing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Madonion

Madonion Member

Have you done the sharpeness setting in VR? it's in a .txt document.

i only race in VR. This game does VR so well and its so smooth and graphics still look good. Couple this with the awsome FFB and its one cool little package.
    It's just better as you sit behind the wheel and can look left or right into a corner and get those apexes right instead of behind your wheel looking up to a monitor seeing everything else.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I still feel a little silly responding to my thread given there's a VR sticky, but since we're here...

I remember people saying they use monitors for online racing. I was thinking that was for endurance and eye strain reasons and not being able to just leave a race. I didnt consider the effect of enduring unanticipated accidents... That sounds... horrible...

Also, I literally just turned on the headset and went into session. I didnt mess with any graphics options. I did notice I seemed to have a framerate stutter at Monaco turning onto the pit straight and into Ste Devote, so I was curious if this is a hard spot to render. Seems mostly fine in the select other tracks I've raced, including Kyalami which I think I recall someone complaining about before. I have the FPS counter in Steam turned on, but I have no idea where it is in VR. Is there a way you guys track your frame rates? Do I need to play around with my vsync settings?

I've got a Ryzen 3600 and a 2070 Super. Not top tier hardware but it's current, so not sure if this is to be expected or not, as I just built this system a month ago.

6. Madonion

Madonion Member

you get use to VR the more you play at first i got motion sick and now i can sit in it for 5 hours no issues, just have a fan blowing onto you!
    If you have a oculus headset then u can boot up the oculus debug tool and enable performance monitor to show frame rates.

if i was you i would turn all settings from MSAA to medium ect as on my 4790k and 1080 i run these no problem and then once you felt how smooth they are you can increase them and if you notice any stutters then put them back to medium.

This is the best thing you can do for VR!
    VR Sharpening filter for Oculus?

• Like Like x 1
  7. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Yeah MSAA is the big FPS killer. I run it low with trilinear filtering as a decent compromise, but there are other combinations.

8. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

If you've got an nvidia card, I've found the best performance / quality settings to be to turn on FXAA and MFAA in the nvidia control panel and then in game have MSAA low and use a high amount of sharpening in the graphics config xml for the HMD.

• Like Like x 1