1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Kostis Vigos

Kostis Vigos Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Sorry for the late answer.
    I have a Driving Force GT and the settings I use are 97/75/30, sometimes a bit more, others a bit less. I have tried the AJR, F309 and Sprint Cars and all have the issue, most of all the AJR. All the bumps and effects feel normal. It's just the oscillation. The steering wobbles.

I even tried it on my real car today, to make sure I wasn't crazy and it was normal some how.
    I can try to shot a video if you want.

2. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The file names are just great!

The way I see it, if a 'Canned Effect' feels natural, and is only simulating/boosting a typical Raw force(s) without negatively affecting others already present in the FFB profile, I say bring it on. :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Member

That would be extremely helpful.

4. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

I am trying this for the first time tonight, having used Lexx's previously. Anyone on a T300 want to suggest what in game FFB they use as I have played around so much that I am now completely lost? :confused:

Cheers!

5. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Something to test for the T300 owners and other belt / gear driven wheels that feel a bit loose around the centre.

Try this file and in the in game settings try with FX at 50 and then at 51 and let us know which feels better. There is a "tighten" function that has been added to apply at FX values greater than 50 to make it easier to test back to back.

"Attack on Tighten"

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  6. AndreiC

AndreiC Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I only got to 55th page until now but this ffb works very well for me to. I use a T300rs and after the last update my main problem was the wheel was numb under load in midcorner(i was nowhere near clipping) but with this custom ffb I can feel exactly what my car is doing, mostly the back of the car I want to feel, and also I can be more precise entering a coner. Thx alot this is really helpful!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I found that once I'd adjusted all the variables in a previous version to my preferences, there was no looseness around the centre. I'm not sure how your new fix works, but it might not be needed if we can come up with a good default file for the T300.

8. Slapshot82

The rabbit hole is a horrible thing indeed at times. For the T300, with the Default and the majority of the Custom files, use all default settings in the Thrustmaster profile, then in-game use 75/35/50 as a good starting point. If the wheel is too heavy, reduce your Gain first and then increase LFB after that if needed.

@NuScorpii Thanks again! I had something not go right yesterday with AMS2 and I'm hoping it isn't a system issue on my end. I originally noticed that my FFB was heavy with any Custom file and the Default profile, but I then started noticing some frame-rate issues. This degraded to my lap times being seconds off pace, where the AI started blowing around me like I was sitting still. It was late, so I hit the bed. If I can get this sorted, I'll give the new file a go for sure.

9. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

@NuScorpii - Loving this immensely, the feeling is great although I cannot yet decide which is better; 50 or 51 as I’m just having so much fun with this!

I tried but if anything, I want heavier steering and I’m pushing up gain quite a bit. I hope that this is not to the detriment of the feeling I’m enjoying at the moment. Thanks for your input though.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I tried your file as-is with no personal tweaks.

For me the centre of the wheel felt better at 50 FX. At 51 there was too much "bite" holding the wheel centred and it just didn't feel natural to me.

Edit: Scratch that. Seems quite car dependent. In the Caterham the above was true, but in the Roco 51 FX was much better.

See below.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  11. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

I only tested Caterham Superlights at Oulton Park and Donnington but oddly, 50 was just right at Oulton Park yet I preferred 51 at Donnington. It’s probably my indecisiveness. I have not tried heavier steering cars so perhaps I will be lowering the gain from what I originally posted.

Overall though, I’m loving it!

12. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

The new tightening feature is really car dependent for me. In the Roco it felt ok, but in the Caterham 620 and F V12 it felt far too aggressive, almost like a centring spring. Overall I think it's better without.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Rabindu

Rabindu New Member

Firstly......thanks to everyone for all the input. It really helps a noob like me.
    I've downloaded the most recent FFB file, and I love it. Kudos.

Now, the problem:
    When I hit the lock stop, my DD1 tries to rip the steering wheel right out of my hand. Is there any way to fix this?

Thanks, in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Slapshot82

These file are absolutely fantastic for the T300. I started off with "Kerb Your Enthusiasm" and this file is EXACTLY what I want in the FFB. The wheel weight is all around perfect, especially when loaded in medium corners where I'm getting highly detailed feedback and I can feel the limit as I'm walking the throttle up, but without having to fight the wheel. The only thing that I felt was lacking was the overall scrub effect was a bit weak, so I increased scrub_scale_front & scrub_scale_rear up by 0.3 each. The scrub balance when braking and cornering is no longer an issue and the kerbs feel fantastic now. I can't thank you guys enough for all your hard work! This is seriously amazing!

I've attached the file which includes my mods/notes specifically for the T300 as requested. Use all default settings in Thrustmaster profile, and in-game 70-75/35/50. These settings should give you a bit lighter wheel that's fast and highly informative.

I want to do more testing on "Attack on Tighten", but it's another incredible file that works great with the T300. I made the same changes to the scrub scale and with FX at 50 it felt very similar to "Kerb Your Enthusiasm" with cars with heavy steering. With FX at 51 in the Sigma though, this car came alive like never before at Oulton Park. This indeed does tighten up the steering and allows for a lot better driving experience. Didn't get much time with this file, but so far it's all positives from me here as well. :)

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BistoKid

BistoKid Active Member

@Slapshot82
    As you regularly post here and understand what you are talking about; unlike me, I would like to try your adjusted custom setting. However, as I posted before; if I want a heavier feeling in my wheel, will adding more gain have a detrimental effect on the effects or should I be looking at something else perhaps?

16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Okay i tried this custom FFB that is in this thread , i'm not sure what people seem to want from FFB , are people just wanting to feel every little bump from the track surface or is the way the car is moving around more important ??

The stranded FFB with the engine "noise" turned off feels nearing perfection imo , i can feel the track undulations , when the car goes light over crests, when i'm under steering and when the back end steps out;) Everything i feel FFB should have .
    When i tried this custom FFB i get so much "noise" through my wheel , like the track surface is made up of pebbles ! Why do people feel this is what FFB should deliver ? Feeling the little dips and crests i agree we should (and can in standard FFB) feel but to have the surface rough like cobblestones isn't what i'm after nor do i think is what FFB should be trying to deliver.
    I appreciate people trying new things but im sticking with standard Reiza FFB minus the engine noise :)

CSWv2 at 70-100(car dependent)/18/50 with engine noise 0 in the file ;)

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

Out of interest, which version did you try? In some of the previous versions I also turned down road_fx or road_scale due to the cobblestone effect. But the newer versions are much closer to the old default but with slightly amplified details. Try changing road_fx from 0.4 to 0.0.

For me the biggest thing missing from the new default was tyre scrub on braking at the limit. There is scrub on understeer but not braking.

One of the aims of this custom file is to allow more effects to be easily configurable for different wheels. It's good you are happy with the bland smoothness of the new default but a lot of people aren't. Whilst the macro details are probably the most important component, the micro details are also important, something that IMHO the new default doesn't get right.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

I have tested now the two latest from Karsten and Slapshot without roadnoise (0),but iMO i stay with the org.Reiza FFB without roadnoise and min.Force 0.02.For my wheel it is total ok with gain 55 LFB 50 and FX 50 for now.Waiting for the next AMS 2 build....:)

19. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

New update:

* Much simpler details boost.
    * Lowered road details boost.

This is much simpler in the approach to boost details & also is less harsh.

Change "details_fx" upwards to get back to a lot of boosted details.
    Change "details_fx" downwards if too much. At 0.0, it will match default road details, mostly, with the notable benefit that there is no "accidental" lfb added at the center of the wheel.

Attached new custom ffb file "Easy does it":

(deleted the file, bug made it bad)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Which is exactly why the custom file provided by these guys has a whole section of variables at the top, allowing you to customise the effects to your wheel and personal preferences. I don't understand why people are just throwing the file into their game and expecting it to work perfectly right off the bat, then giving up on it when it doesn't.

To answer your question, nobody wants it to feel like we're driving on cobblestones, including me. But with a few simple tweaks I have realistic, subtle road noise, which really helps remove the disconnect between the view movement (from bumps) and what I feel.

But if you want zero road noise then simple disable it by tweaking a couple of options. That way you get all of the excellent new scrub and braking effects with none of the forces you don't want. Even without road noise, these custom profiles are still far and away better than default.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1