1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stuttering/rubberbanding since 0.9.6.0

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by bazziboy, Jun 10, 2020.

1. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Hey folks,

first a big hello to all fellow driving fans :)

So, my problem is that i have strange stuttering/rubberbanding effects since the 0.9.6.0 update.
    I can't really tell if the update is the cause or something else.
    The first time i noticed the effect was in multiplayer, where i drove at nighttime (GMT).
    All other cars were much faster and stuttering, while i had this strange rubberbanding effect.
    I thought, ok, maybe i'm racing on a brasilian server with bad ping or so, but no matter which server
    at what time i drove on it was always the same.
    Then i checked the settings , turned off brake and steering helps off (why were they on?) - same.
    Tried deleting the settings folder, reinstalling the game, Test-Driving in singleplayer ... same.
    Checked the graphics driver, nothing unusual there.

I checked the forums, but no other people seem to have this problem.

Notice that the FPS stay at constant 60.
    Maybe somebody has a hint for me, what to do.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  2. Jack_silvereagle

Jack_silvereagle New Member

I'm new to sim racing (about 120 hours in total across two games).

Do you use a wheel or Pad?

If you use a Game Pad what are the settings? I use one and I have to turn the dampening to 100.

I'm no help if you use a wheel since I don't have one.

Is your PC connected by a Cable or is it a wireless connection? If it's over wireless try a wired connection to see if it improves. (Most of the time Wireless is just fine).

• Like Like x 1
  3. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

I use a Microsoft Sidewinder FFB Wheel (the first ever to support ffb i heard).
    No wireless here, i hate changing batteries :)
    I will try the dampening setting, although i think its at 100 by default.
    What does it do btw?

4. Jack_silvereagle

Jack_silvereagle New Member

Well if it's a wheel, maybe nothing.

It dampened the controller inputs so as I use the thumbs to steer it does not turn the steering wheel all the way left or right, if that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Thanks Jack for your reply, you led me to the right direction.
    After thinking about it, i tried my xbox 360 controller, et voilĂ , no stuttering.
    Replugging the wheel -> stuttering. Then i changed the wheel setup from 'custom'
    to 'legacy' (i dont know the difference) and no stuttering there as well.
    So far so good. The problem is, i remember having it set to 'custom' a few weeks
    ago for that reason, that the game seems to have trouble initializing it correctly.
    In 'legacy' mode, sometimes the FFB works, sometimes (most of the time) not.
    Also the game crashes often when i am fiddling with the settings, this might also
    have to do with the wheel.
    I dont know if i should send a bug report about this?
    At least i can drive now, sadly without FFB.

P.S. Before 0.9.6.0 or so the 'custom' setup worked well.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  6. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

I wonder why there is no official reply to this. Is it not important? I mean leaving the customer completely alone with his problem is not a sign of good support or help.

7. zak55

zak55 New Member

i used a sidewinder wheel for a good few years , no troubles really.
    only to say i used custom drivers for it .
    here is a video to check the setup of your wheel in windows, worth checking....other than that you will have to do what we all do and play around , im sure you will sort it !

• Like Like x 1
  8. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

thanks for your reply!
    the problem is, the wheel was (with 'custom' wheel setting before 0.9.6.0, like described above) working fine.
    now with the 'legacy' setting FFB sometimes works, sometimes not.
    i am lucky when i can drive a few rounds in multiplayer with ffb working, but as soon as the next round begins or when i go to the box, ffb most likely stops working.
    i think the game doesn't always manage to properly initialize the wheel, and i wished they could look after that :)

9. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have the same stuttering problem you have...even had it with PC2. It seems to appears more often when hitting an object on the track, like a cone...

10. Heitor Facuri Cicoti

Heitor Facuri Cicoti Good Member AMS2 Club Member

@bazziboy, have you tried to use the custom file? (maybe try different files like these)
    upload_2020-6-22_20-29-0.png

It's difficult to troubleshoot it without having this wheel to test, and being very busy with v1.0. But we will keep an eye on it, and at least after v1.0 and team rest, we can take a deeper look on it.

11. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm using a custom file, powerful PC, power graphics, latest drivers, simcommander with 3 sounds cards. Despite being AMS2's biggest fan, I have stuttering :( I mainly happens if I hit a cone, sign or any objects but also happens for no reasons middle of single time trial... which almost guarantees that I will hit a wall soon where the rubberbanding resumes... since I creates an instant "time travel" experience. Hope others will report such issue. I had it with PC2...

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Thx for your reply Heitor!

In the case you meant using a custom FFB file, that's right, i am doing that, and it works fine, when it's working.
    But the problem is the 'custom' wheel setup, this is (and all other wheel setups except 'legacy', i even tried all Logitech and Thrustmaster setups) where the stuttering exists, at least for me.
    So i use the 'legacy' setup (could somebody explain me the difference between both?), that unfortunately has these wheel-initializing problems, where i most often get no FFB.
    Before i think 0.9.7.0, 'custom' was working fine, with no stuttering and always FFB on.

I am confident that you will find the bug (if it is one) when you have the time looking after the issue. If you need more details, just message me.

For illustration i made a little vid where i show the wheel settings and how i get the FFB to work. This time i was lucky and it worked after the first try. Sometimes it takes 3 or more tries.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  13. Allaeius

Allaeius Beginner AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  15. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Update:

After installing and configuring BeamNG where you can set the update rate of the FFB i found that setting the update rate above 150hz makes the game hang and stutter too, even worse than in AMS2.
    Although i think that AMS2 uses a higher update rate of 300+hz i believe this might be the problem.
    Since my wheel is very old and usb1 was just put onto mainboards at that time, the FFB update rate could be too high for it.
    My suggestion for the problem would be that reiza lets the users set the update rate manually, in the game menu or perhaps in a config file. I hope that this doesn't interfere with online play.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. bazziboy

bazziboy Member

Update 2 for your interest:

On linux (playing over Steam Proton) i don't have the problem at all.
    Which is interesting, since its an emulated Windows after all.
    Also under linux the game doesn't crash as often.
    One Member here (Paul Sutton i think) says his Microsoft FFB Wheel is working fine.
    All other Racing games work fine for me too, except occasional crashes.
    I think i'll give it up now, since i can race with linux.
    Also i am buying a T300 RS GT these days, which will hopefully eliminate all this nonsense :)

P.S.: In ACC i have to turn down FFB rate just like in BeamNG. Unfortunately there is no setting for this in AMS2, like i mentioned earlier.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020