1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General AMS2 Release & Feedback Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Micropitt, Jul 1, 2020.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I TOTALLY agree. If the licensing would have been top secret... no one would bring it up. Also, the true understanding of what a game "engine" is doesn't help... some people assume it means, FFB, Assets, etc... They think it's basically a PC2 DLC, it is pure ignorance!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, this nonsense about the game engine just stems from stupidity and ignorance. Try comparing two games that use the Unreal 4 Engine in the same way. It doesn't make sense and neither does describing this delightful sim as PC2. Grow up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I think we can debate whether this counts, but this is what I am referring to. Now I dont necessarily think they understeer so much because I am always using the brakes to rotate the car, so I always feel like the car is sliding around on either end depending on what Im trying to do... Unfortunately I've gotten pretty good at it, so it's not as obvious visually as it feels. If I get it wrong it's obvious, but otherwise it's relatively subtle. Plus this definitely gives you a sensation of weight transfer as well, which is the other part of your complaint, and is why I dont necessarily feel the same way. But it's pretty subjective at the end of the day when we talk about feels, so dont think I'm trying to disprove your opinion or anything. Ideally we'd all be satisfied.

@ 3s,11s,13s, 22s, 24s

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dennis

Dennis Member AMS2 Club Member

Fanboys have been the only ones mentioning PC2. I'm referring to AMS2! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Michael Magnus

Michael Magnus New Member AMS2 Club Member

Don't get me wrong but this is not about my subjective feels, it's an obvious flaw in the car's behaviour. I just drove online with two friends who are race drivers in real life. They thought exactly the same. You can't just intuitively throw the cars around the track.

Sure I can learn to adapt to the strange behaviour and maybe even master it, but I think this would completely ruin my driving technique in other Sims and in real life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. InfernalVortex

"Feel" is absolutely subjective. There is no way around that. Sorry. It "feels" fine to me. So who's right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Michael Magnus

Wrong behaviour has nothing to do with feel. Wrong physical behaviour is always wrong. The game feels good to me too, but some of the cars don't behave like they should. At least the low downforce ones.

It's nice that it feels good for you but that doesn't make the wrong behaviour right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Dennis

Dennis Member AMS2 Club Member

Between you and the race car drivers that he mentioned? I would go with them!

Look, Reiza did the best they could with this flawed engine, but the physics are just nutty. Nothing they can do about it because they chose the Madness engine!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  9. Michael Magnus

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe it's not an engine problem but just a really bad setup. I hope they can iron this out.

10. InfernalVortex

Race car drivers are driving actual cars. Thats a big difference. Sim racing is always going to be driving by remote control.

I wasnt aware any professional drivers had weighed in on AMS2 yet.

11. Michael Magnus

Yep, and some of them are sim racers too and can compare it to the real thing. They know how a car should behave. It doesn't matter if it's a real one or in a simulation.

They teached me how to go really fast with the 60s F1 in AMS 1. How to correctly rotate the cars, how to carry maximum momentum through the corners. This was only possible because the cars in AMS 1 behave like a real car.

12. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Simracing won't never be as the real thing, tho. The cars can only behave like, but not be like. Perhaps in 2030 when technology has advanced it will 'be like'

For now I am satisfied, but I put my hands into Reiza's hands because they know best. Anyway, we have Niels Heusinkveld, @CrimsonEminence and many others to be the opposite party for tips, insights or missed oversights (physics-wise). Which is a good thing.

Simracing is still somewhere at the beginning. Just enjoy what you got and what is coming. <3 Reiza stands for quality and we all know that. Just be patient.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

In general, yes, you always have to adapt to the "strange behavior". As example, I drive a P4 car different in Brands Hatch than the G55 GT4. In other words, I adapt my driving to the physics of the car.

Pretty much meaningless. Kurt Thiim said iRacing is **** and Lando Norris and Max Verstappen said rFactor 2 is ****. In the end, this are personal opinions and should be taken as such.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Michael Magnus

You're definitely right. Simracing will never be like the real thing but it can simulate the behaviour of a real car really good even with today's technology.

The thing is, if you've ever driven a real car on the limit, you can feel any wrong behaviour in the sim too. There's definitely something wrong with the low downforce cars in AMS 2.

15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I want to be clear:

Niels Heusinkveld, Renato Simioni, Aristotelis Vasilakos, Alex Hodgkinson, Michael Borda and Co. are on another level. They understand development on code level, this is not my speciality, i can just refer to actual (sim)driving. Please don't throw me into one jar with these legends, please. There is a HUGE difference!
    (my highest points were editing engine files of an Aston DBR and HDC files, this is basically notepad stuff)
    Sim racing is at a golden state right now. We're discussing about cars in the rain, while tyres are flexing and AI is attacking on the outside, tracks are scanned LIDAR and laser, photogrammetry in use and cars have real sound recording, approved by real racing teams.
    We are so spoiled, we don't even register, how far they have come, to deliver us an unmatchable experience in fidelity and reality, regarding a home PC.

Never forget that....

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Michael Magnus

No that's not the same thing at all. You're talking about differnces between cars. I'm talking about completely wrong behaviour.

That's wrong also. A race driver can definitely say if a car behaves like it should. Every sim has good and bad cars, I would never say a sim is bad because of some not so good cars. The low downforce cars in AMS 2 are bad, because they don't behave in a plausible way.

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Guys, if you want to get a full blown experience.

Take the Camaro Road car, choose Goiania as the track and put on something like this:

Then just drive...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. InfernalVortex

Did you put the correct link there? Because it's showing Spiritual Beggars from where I'm looking... I didnt think anyone knew about them but me? That's always what I would put on when I did my autocrosses! One of those little benefits of "racing" streetcars... music. Can never be a real sim if music is on! Although Demons or Mantra III were my preferred albums.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

About real life drivers and their opinion how a car should handle in a sim, this is a quote from Alex Hodgkinson in the Sector 3 forum :
    "A year ago I sat at a dinner table with Romain Dumas and Hans Stuck. We discussed the VW IDR as we'd just launched the competition in game and I was at the Nürburgring for the IDRs first public appearance.

Anyway, Mr Stuck was insistent that our IDR had no grip/was too slippy whereas Romain was telling me it had too much, especially at low speed." Source

• Like Like x 4
  20. InfernalVortex

Im guessing without physical feedback, reference points are all relative to perception. I dont mean in the wheel, I mean in the seat of the pants.