1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Ah, I wondered if there was such a variable! Could you speculate as to what the equivalent settings are in Reiza's Default?

2. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks man - this will absolutely be helpful! The scrub does indeed come into effect just a bit too early on my wheel, so this will be certainly helpful.

@sherpa25 @Chip Sorry guys I never replied to your questions. My Fanatec v1.5 shifter is finally scheduled to arrive this Thursday, so I've had my entire sim rig torn apart and did some significant upgrades to my custom built cockpit - I'm so ready for jump into the classic cars that demand heel-toe downshifts again!

@F.Santos Thanks for the upgraded files! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Russ Aplin

Russ Aplin New Member

Taking the above into account I have a question; the above would imply that tyre model doesn't have a point at where it knows the front wheels have broken traction? We are adjusting the file based upon where we think it should be and not when the trye model tells us we have lost grip? I ask because in real life I wan't my car to be as close to that point as possible on all four wheels. This is where I am quickest. I need to know where that limit is so that I can get the most out of the car right? In a race this is different of course due to multiple variables, but we have to know where that limit is by going beyond it. To me this is the holy grail of FFB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

As I understand it, there is no Racing-sim where tire grip-loss is directly communicated through FFB via the game physics. In other words, such cues come from some form of canned FFB effect that is triggered when certain measurable parameters are reached.

There simply is no specific FFB function for tire grip-loss within the overall FFB-API. Therefore, it seems such effects are prone to considerable variation based on other multiple algorithmic factors.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

It's a good point.
    The hints should be easy to give as soon as slip is happening, then increase and turn in to scrub later.
    I will look at adding this to the "silver raw" files when back from travelling.
    I'm sure @NuScorpii will do the same to the heavy messing files.

Until this might happen you should already be given the hint by the ease on the wheel forces. Also you can enable the reiza rack scrub in the file. I don't remember if it kicks in when required, earlier

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  6. AndreiC

AndreiC Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thx very much F Santos this ffb file feels the best now on my T300rs with these tweaks, other ffb files feel "filtered" now.
    (road_rumble_scale 0.000)
    (friction 0.00)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Russ Aplin

Russ Aplin New Member

Thanks @Karsten Hvidberg Even with my very limited knowledge on the programming side I agree that it can be replicated. In AMS 2 I have turned the tyre sounds up and everything else down so that the sounds become part of the ffb. The front tyres breaking traction/scrub sound is there so there must be a trigger that has been programmed by Reiza? For me the front scrub sound seems pretty good right now in relation to the timing of the loss of front grip (on the rear I'm not so sure) So when the front of a car breaks traction and the wheel goes light (as you mentioned above) and the vibrations from the tyres moving across the surface come through the rack into the wheel; can this in someway be translated using the pre programmed Reiza scrub sound as the trigger? It's been so long since I played it but I think the original AC did have something like this (wheel goes light and and a vibration is translated through the wheel) however it never felt quite right to me.

One question re the Buttkicker; when talking about the rear losing traction the vibrations are coming through the chassis into the seat as oppose to the rack; out of curiosity does the buttkicker translate the rear losing traction in this way on AMS2? If it does I fear that I may never leave the rig with one installed!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Russ Aplin

Russ Aplin New Member

See my post above; Reiza have gone to the trouble of replicating the loss of front traction with a sound file so I seems mad that this is not correlated with a ffb input right?

Maybe I'm missing something but in my mind none of the sims have ever got this right.

I've never played AMS1 (crowd goes "boo") Everybody raves about the ffb, does it have that connection to the road, specifically coming from the front that I have always longed for?

For me personally @Lexx VR 's custom ffb pretty much nails the connection to the road feel. Although having since tried the work of @Karsten Hvidberg & @NuScorpii I do find that I'm slightly quicker, maybe everybody wants ffb that translates the car in a way that makes them quicker as opposed to realism. It's so difficult to know when discussing such a subjective topic!

• Like Like x 2
  9. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

The problem is more what kind of variables are exposed to the custom ffb script. The variables we are using for generating the scrub effect are FL/FR/RL/RR_scrub. However this has a value from 0.0 - 1.0 and varies for the front wheels as soon as you start turning the wheels. I may be wrong but I think the scrub value we are given is how much of the contact patch is sliding over the surface. As you turn the wheel grip is generated by creating a slip angle which means the contact patch is getting deformed and as the contact patch starts releasing from the surface it will slip back towards its normal position, this is the "scrub". With increasing slip angle you generally get more grip and more scrub, up to a point where grip starts to level off and decrease slightly but scrub still increases. The point at which grip starts to decrease and scrub is still increasing is where you ideally want the feedback, but there isn't really much info available to the custom ffb file. There are some other grip related variables (not as many as there were in PC2 for some reason) but they are not available for the rear tyres.

So if you want a consistent scrub feedback for both front and rear tyres what we have got with an arbitrary point on the scrub scale is best we're going to get. It should be possible to get something better for the front tyres that I will look into though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Well-Known Member

I think what @Dean Ogurek was pointing out is that there is no physical basis for tyre scrub to be felt through the rack / steering wheel, all these type of effects are canned ffb effects produced when some arbitrary values from the tyre model are encountered. The sound can be modelled as that is physically realistic, however tyre squeal and scrubbing will be heard before the tyres lose grip. Reiza will also have direct access to the tyre model parameters to generated these effects that are not available in the custom ffb file.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, just to be clear, the sound effects for tire behaviour are purposefully exaggerated by Reiza for the purpose of providing useful feedback. For those who want 100% realism, they can pretend they are wearing a helmet and can only hear the engine roaring half a metre behind them, so turn off/down all other sounds. The rest of us would like a variety of rich feedback, including FFB, that allows us to best understand what the car is doing since we are typically controlling it in a completely unrealistic manner while sitting in a completely unrealistic environment. Those who spend tens of thousands get a slightly less, but still unrealistic experience :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Isaac Jairi da Silva

Isaac Jairi da Silva New Member

I'm having problems with ams 2, this is changing the following registry entries.
    Computador\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_046D&PID_C24F
    and when i open f1 the ffb dosent work. someone can help me ?

13. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The question is perhaps stupid, but only you could answer me: "In AMS 2, in the custom FFB file, you can insert a command or a programming string that leads back to the use of a specific Lut file for each steering wheel as it already happens in AC and ACC ???"

This is the AC & ACC instruction that I would like to replicate in the custom FFB file in AMS 2:

[HEADER]
    VERSION=1
    TYPE=LUT
    ENABLED=1

[GAMMA]
    VALUE=1

[LUT]
    CURVE=G920_LUT.lut

where "G920_LUT.lut" is the external file always in the same folder of the document/automobilista 2....

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  14. Luis Felipe Cortes

Luis Felipe Cortes New Member

No, its a different engine, that thing dont works here, sorry

• Like Like x 1
  15. Russ Aplin

Russ Aplin New Member

Ok understood, I think! It's less of an on off switch and more of a accumulation of forces/values that result in a diminishing contact patch and ultimately a complete loss of traction, with the same in reverse as we come back to grip. So trying to determine where the point at where we lose traction (steering goes light and wheel vibrates) would be a matter of finding an arbitrary point on that spectrum that feels right? There would also be a build up of vibrations both too and from this point also right? I'm trying to write and remember how these sensations feel in real life! Trying to program them must be a nightmare!

Either way I would very much appreciate any attempt to enhance this. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

16. ZeferinoCoutinho

ZeferinoCoutinho Zef_mirror_man-zefthebestofcour

Not on AMS2, nor PC and PC2, either!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Quiet here lately, i guess everyone's happy with the latest files.:)
    My odd ffb when turning left seems to have been fixed after the last ams2 update, maybe a bad file that steam verification didn't pick up.

• Winner Winner x 3
  18. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Funny you say that, as I had the 'hard-pull-to-the-right' yesterday after leaving pits in an MP race (Fusco @ Brasilia Outer), using F.Santos-Karsten latest file. Hasn't happened again yet though today.

19. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Can any of you give a brief description on what these do please?

20. Victor M Miguelez

Victor M Miguelez New Member AMS2 Club Member

Most of the files work great for me. I use different versions depending on car and track via the Madness
    tool

• Like Like x 1