1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A.I in the rain and through puddles...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GregzVR, Jul 17, 2020.

1. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

What are they like? Are they affected by puddles like the player is, or are they on rails?

I haven’t raced a.i in the rain at all, after doing so in PC2, where they weren’t affected by standing water, whereas slide.exe was always activated whenever I hit a puddle.

2. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

They are not affected like the player. There is code for them to slow down when they detect a puddle but I think there are still some gaps in the detection (so at times they don't detect a puddle and drive right through it). PC2 had the a similar issue where sometimes they slowed down for a puddle and sometimes they didn't.

3. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

While I haven't raced a lot in the rain recently, one of my most recent experiences was a wet race on Cascais (Estoril) with P1 prototypes. I had a race with almost the exact same settings in dry conditions before, so AI strength was already dialed in for me.

What I found was a nice, somewhat challenging race. As for the AI, their speed (or lack thereof) seemed very similar relative to my own pace compared to what I was seeing in dry conditions. Granted, I was racing a car with assists (the AJR Chevy V8 has ABS and TC), and there weren't really deep puddles on the track from what I remember. That being said, racing the AI in the rain is nowhere near as bad as it used to be in PCARS2. The ridiculous advantage the AI had in the rain combined with the just as ridiculous 'aquaplaning' behavior was what killed PC2 for me, so I understand you being afraid of experiencing the same in AMS2.

In short: It's not perfect, but wet races against the AI are manageable and mostly fair - depending on the car and track of course. Not sure if this holds up for the more challenging car and track combinations, though (think notMonaco during a thunderstorm in F-Vintage G1 cars). But at least going through standing water doesn't jerk your steering to one side or the other regardless of speed - you can mostly plow through if you can keep the car straight on entry and refrain from accelerating or slowing down.

• Like Like x 1