50 rating points lost for having to leave a race!!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Aug 23, 2023.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Gees, that's huge penalty!!! Especially when grinding 5-10 points per races... I was at 1731 then now 1680. The higher the rating, the longer it takes to get higher. Can we tone that down a little? I understand you want motivate people to stay in a race, but this appears to be extreme.

2. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I believe it is how ELO works, it is not a problem of the system itself. The problem is that AMS2 player pool is too insignificant, so you probably find yourself racing against much lower rated drivers, and leaving for whatever reason (rage quit, connection issues, being kicked) will heavily harm your high rating.

Anyway, I think only you and about 10 other guys care about AMS2 MP rating. They are not used for anything I know of. In fact, not only they are not used for anything, it is suspected that having MP rating enabled causes lag issues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. VFX Pro

Thanks, your explanation makes a lot of sense.

Having a competitive element like a rating, raises the bar, forces focus, etc... but since most lobby cannot afford to "group" rating range together with similar rated people, it creates really f-up lobbies with extremely serious people and pure morons purposely crashing into people... People who take their Sim Racing very seriously, likes having a rating system, especially when we can have scheduled races with a minimum required rating (like iRacing).

If I recall correctly, P2P + rating on = no issues at all where Dedicated Server + Rating On = some lag. One would think it would be the opposite..

4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm sorry mate, but if you want competitive online racing, AMS2 is just not the way to go.

Looks like the game is targeted at the casual racer/occasional player market, where messy/uncommitted online lobbies and AI racing are the main ways to play the game.

MP improvements have been made, but they are still shy from the bare minimum for a more dedicated online racing. I'd be surprised if much is going to change in the long term - it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Been victim of this. It's because everyone is too low, and some of us are too high. So if you crash and can't continue, or the host didn't checked the two minute-window or Steam doing bad, so you've not enough fuel, etc and you retire the race whatever reason it will deduct a lot of points of us. Don't blame Reiza, don't blame the ranking. Blame the people that ragequit & quit whatever the reason is. So.. Don't leave a race. Try to continue it, better -10 points than -50. Don't retire. Rather wait sit in the grass and wait until the race is done, etc. Also don't do the internet-trick cause Reiza patched that ;)

I was once 2003. Steam f*cked me, some lobby's f*cked me. I keep hovering between 1850-1920 for now. It's annoying to go up, and down goes hard. Yes. Part of life, cause 99% of the userbase is between 1100 and 1400. Honestly I've seen two or three people with 2100. Which is amazing. I bet they pick their lobby's very carefully too.

What I suggest is to only keep the safety rating, and don't use the other rating. I think @Dave Stephenson suggested that as well.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. VFX Pro

Thanks @Marius H and @sgsfabiano for this valuable info... Takeaway: I will stay in the race no matter what, even if I'm not sitting in my rig :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Marius H

Yeah, its a solution for short races. For longer races I don't think it's a good solution. You've to pick your lobby's wise too. F1 with 30 is a no go. GT3 idem ditto, hehe. But picking ranked lobby's with 5 people is a bit boring too. It is what it is. Biggest tip I can give you is to play non-ranked on Tuesday anyway, due Steam's maintenance.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. VFX Pro

Yes, picking the correct lobby is a true art form; I don't jump in with a few minutes left in Qual, or when I see dozens of people rated near 1000, etc...

FYI - I got screwed on last night (tuesday), was in pole for 30 minutes with 2 laps to go, then BOOM, everyone was disconnected :( (then I remembered the steam maintenance)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marius H

Yes, I got the same thing many years ago. Since then I just avoid ranked lobby's between 22.00 and 01.00 EU time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. VFX Pro

We want scheduled races with a min. rating :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I believe this is correct.
    To the best of my knowledge iRacing use the same ELO system an even here you get into trouble if you participate in a race with very low participation.
    But because iRacings pool in populated series is much (MUCH :p) larger then this ELO system works pretty reasonable.
    Hehe at least if you are not one of the drivers with very high rating :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1