A 12-hour SimRacing race at Le Mans on Automobilista 2 with Val & Justin

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ALAIN LEFEBVRE, May 13, 2024.

1. ALAIN LEFEBVRE

ALAIN LEFEBVRE Member AMS2 Club Member

This a translation of a blog post from Une course de SimRacing de 12 heures au Mans sur Automobilista 2 avec Val & Justin | Alain Lefebvre Créations (with pictures).
    ===
    A 12-hour SimRacing race at Le Mans on Automobilista 2 with Val & Justin

With my sons, we have wanted to (re)do an endurance race together for a long time. We had done a 6-hour race last year, it was time to take it to the next level: a twelve-hour race in the sumptuous setting of the great Le Mans circuit on Automobilista 2 (AMS2) which, at the risk of repeating myself, is indeed the best simulation of the moment. Of course, we also have the ambition to do a 24-hour race again, as I already did with Val in the 2000s and then 2010. But that is seriously being prepared, hence this stage at twelve hours, history to continue Justin’s “training” (who is already faster than me in most situations!).

We decided to devote Friday to this race and, on Thursday, May 9, we just made the final preparation adjustments: validation of the choice of the LMDH by Val, installation of the audio system by Justin (the pilot an audio headset on the ears but a microphone and another audio headset are connected to it… so, we can talk to the pilot and we can also hear what he hears: engine noises, Crew Chief commenting and so on) and test of this system with me. This audio system proved very useful because it allowed us to communicate with the pilot while he was riding and to hear the same thing as him and thus know where he was, what Crew Chief was saying. in order to make the right decisions if necessary.

In addition, Justin and I, we drove with full fuel and hard tires in order to validate this configuration for the race (ultimately, we will use medium tires instead)... We decided to drive with the Cadillac because, following my tests , I found that it was a bit easier than the Porsche 963 and then, I admit, I don't like the BMW LMDH (without being able to explain why, just a matter of feeling…).

The night before, we decided to do double stints for everyone throughout the twelve hours. Val will do the qualifications in order to familiarize himself with the interface of technical choices (fuel to board, change of tires or not, repair to be carried out, etc.) for the relays.

During these tests, we raced with 31 AI opponents in the following categories: LMDH, GT3 gen2, LMP2 (Thunderflash mod) and DPI in order to have a more varied field than just full of LDMH and GT3…

We opted for a 12-hour race (that's not bad!) with the time accelerated twice (x2) in order to simulate a complete 24-hour cycle. We chose to set the AI to 95%. We could probably put more but we thought it was good at this level... As for the circuit, the great Le Mans circuit in all its splendor and in a very recent version.

I defined four distinct weather segments (in order to have a little mist at sunrise) but no rain on the program. While driving, I also told myself that, next time, we will opt for the windshield which gets dirty in order to further reinforce the realism. That said, in terms of realism, you have to know how to settle for a well-balanced scale in order to be able to support it for twelve hours...

We could also have done this race with LMU (Le Mans Ultimate) but I believe that at this stage of LMU's development, the reliability is still very questionable (I had many bad experiences in this context and quite quickly , not after an hour!!).

The morning (Friday 10) before the start of the race

The morning before the big meeting, we made an a little driving by Justin and I on the Cadillac to test the medium tires (which we will ultimately retain). Val takes the wheel for qualifying after I show him how to use the pit interface. During qualifying, Val is coached by Justin via the audio system in order to refine the choice of trajectories and braking points.

But, bad news: I noticed that the car is not refueling!

By the time we realize that this is simply a poorly positioned option, it is already 10:00 a.m., the scheduled time for our departure. So, while Val had taken pole during the qualifiers, I am obliged to restart, delete the qualifiers and leave (since it is I who is scheduled to start) among the other LMDH (in 6th position) .

Departure at 10:10 a.m.

As everything adds up, I find myself having to do the formation lap (another oversight in the options but I take the opportunity to check my “stand choices” so that the next stop conforms to my intentions) and, finally, the green flag frees us!

Isremaining 6th two/three laps then moved up to 3rd position and finally took the lead on the 6th lap. The rest of my stint goes well, stopping on the 12th lap, I keep my medium tires barely on and start second. Not for long because I regained the lead the next lap (leader stopped). Good start then. Only problem: Crew Chief warned me that we have the beginnings of damage to the brakes and I am therefore trying to spare them by braking a bit earlier.

The LMP2s did not stay on the track for long: they all stopped in the pits just after the first refueling!

It's probably a bug in this mod which doesn't correctly manage this essential aspect of endurance races... Yes, it's not easy to properly develop a mod!

Don't think I'm gratuitously criticizing Thunderflash's work, quite the contrary. I would like to take this opportunity to thank him here and now for his work. It is thanks to him and others that AMS2 is taking on another dimension thanks to the addition of mods (additional cars but also new circuits). It was up to me to fully test this LMP2 mod before deciding to include it in our event. I didn't do it and I only have myself to blame, period.

This first relay is an opportunity to savor the feeling on AMS2 and to understand how successful this simulation is now. Not only is the aspiration sensitive in the straights but we also feel that the car is “windless” when we follow two or three of them in the sequences of the new section and this forces us to adapt our driving to avoid finding ourselves “ in the wall” stupidly… These LMDH are very successful and I think I would just like the sound of the cars to be more accentuated (at the level of LMH which, without a doubt, is the best simulation on this precise point, we agree realizes when we can hear the on-board camera broadcasts like this weekend for the 6 Hours of Spa, the third round of the WEC).

Val's turn

I stop again on lap 22 and hand over to Val. Although he also kept the medium tires which held up well, his stop was longer than expected (more than two minutes) because the team was repairing the brakes. Val leaves in 5th position. Val quickly got back into the lead but Crew Chiefto of again alerted to brake problems. We make the decision to repair everything at the next stop. Val’s first stop (on the 34th lap) is very long, as expected: 2’50”!

He leaves 9th as a result but with an almost new car (tires also changed)... Val's second stop on the 45th lap (up to 5th place), Justin takes over and leaves in 8th position. We are one lap behind the leader and there are 9h14 left in the race...

Justin goes back

On the 50th lap, Justin had already moved up to 3rd position on the leader's lap. He moved into second on lap 54 shortly before having to stop and even regained the lead briefly before refueling on lap 55. He leaves in 5th, right on the heels of 4th and begins his climb again. Dusk is already falling on the circuit…

He moved into second on the 59th lap, around twenty seconds behind the first. He took the lead on the 60th lap following the leader's refueling stop. Still our braking problems: Crew Chief asks us to stop to fix them. I take over on the 67th lap, keeping the medium tires which already have two relays in the wheels... In the middle of the night.

A difficult relay, very difficult!

I had to stop on lap 75 to change the tires and repair the brakes because the car had become very hard to drive: little grip (tyres), almost no brakes!

I was having trouble keeping it on the track and I was getting slower and slower. I still got to the end of my stint but it was downright painful and I dragged myself along at the end with a car that was downright reluctant (very few brakes at Le Mans on an LMDH, that's not it!). I couldn't even double the DPI anymore, it was time to stop...

I lost 3’15” and started 8th again but the car was transformed and I could attack again. What a difference and what pleasure!

The night is not bothersome and the car performs at its maximum: my return is therefore relatively easy.

When I handed the car over for Val on lap 88, we were in second again.

Val rolls up

He leaves in third position. Val wraps up his relay in second position, 20 seconds behind the leader. Val's (fuel) stop on the 99th lap for his stint. He regained the lead on the 105th lap (leader's pit stop).

Val stops at the end of the 110th lap to refuel but Crew Chief tells us that the brakes are out (the discs go from red to blue very quickly, a sure sign of the problem, we're starting to get used to it!) and will have to be repaired : a long stop in perspective... Stop of 2'54” and Justin leaves 6th.

The day begins

On the 120th lap, Justin took second place and the day began to dawn, very slowly (with traces of mist on the circuit, it looks very Le Mans...)!

Fuel stop for Justin at the end of lap 121. Only 42 seconds of stopping, Justin retains second place. Justin's fuel stop at133rd lap (then in the lead), I take over while keeping his tires (mediums). The sun is now clearly visible on the horizon but there are still mists here and there.

Straight to Arnage

I start again in the lead but, in the middle of my stint while everything is going well on the car, I go straight at Arnage (wanting to overtake a GT3) and I damage my front hood (the offset of the hood in relation to its normal position is clearly visible from the cockpit). With this “new configuration” (!), I lose top speed but not too much in handling.

This is the type of mistake that we want to avoid at all costs and the very type of situation that I insisted on to Justin and Val and it is me who makes the mistake, without any mitigating circumstances... The Le Mans bite hurts when you suffer it!

I had everything repaired during my stop on the 143rd lap. Stop of 2'50, I start again in 4th position. After this stop, the car was perfect again and I was able to beat my best lap (3’33”0). Full sun, no more mist.

I took the lead again on lap 147 and stopped at155th lap: short stop, fuel only.

Good relay from Val under the sun

Val takes the wheel and leaves in the lead. Good relay for Val who has a good pace (a few laps in 3’31’xxx). Fuel stop alone, at 165 laps, 40 seconds of waiting and Val takes the lead again for his last stint. He stopped on the 176th lap for fuel alone (still in the lead). 40 seconds of stopping and Justin is still in the lead. Only 1h09 left of the race, it's Justin who will finish our race.

Justin finishes the race and saves the result!

Justin made the same mistake as me by wanting to keep the tires from Val's last stint: they didn't seem too worn but, in fact, the grip is reduced (and perhaps the stop where the tires have time cooling also plays a role) and this affects the performance of the car.

Justin decides to stop after a few laps, in consultation with me (on the 180th lap), because the car has little grip and the brakes are weakening again. It is better that he has a top car to be able to attack if necessary.

This stop lasted 2’43” and Justin returned to first position (only 31 seconds ahead of the second) for another 47 minutes of racing. To save fueland avoid to have to stop again, Justin switched to “normal” carburetion rather than “rich” (the “lean” setting is also available in case that’s not enough). Justin loses a little top speed but it is a limited loss. We believed in it for a while but the calculations that I make and redo are clear: at this rate of consumption (even a little reduced) and with the time remaining, it won't work...

Finally, a “splash & dash” (I calculated that we needed at least 20 liters but we decided on 35 liters in order to have a safety margin) proved necessary and Justin stopped on lap 186 with 24 minutes left of the race. He starts again after 14 seconds of stopping (this “splash & dash is quick at least”) and remains in the lead (with 38 seconds ahead of the second, the gap remained stable thereafter). Justin is in control of the situation and drives safely, we begin to believe it...

The finish is at the end of this collective effort and it is with a certain relief that we see the time passing until we reach zero. The line crossed smoothly, it’s done, it’s ours!

We finished in the lead with a 52-second lead (194 laps in total) after twelve thrilling hours from start to finish!

Post-race analysis

The most obvious question is necessarily “why did we have these repeated brake problems?”... indeed!

We had to repair the brakes at least 4 or 5 times... in twelve hours, that's a lot!

Was it because the cooling scoops were not open enough (but, in this case, Crew Chief immediately warns you that “your brake temperatures are way too high, buddy” with his usual verve… Or else Was it because we had too aggressive driving?

Throughout the race, we tried, with varying degrees of care and consistency, to manage the problem and mitigate the phenomenon. Already, we have added brakes to the rear axle (several times) to put less pressure on the front brakes but without the balance being too impacted because this greatly influences the behavior of the car, in particular for the big right uphill which marks the entrance to the new section after Arnage…

But we have to admit that nothing we tried really had any effect. I will have to carry out tests to be sure. The management of mechanical damage is more and more refined on AMS2 and it's great as long as you don't fall victim to it!

For example, you can damage the engine by downshifting too quickly on the fly (or even break it in one go by missing a gear change with the H gearbox, like engaging second instead of fourth at full acceleration!) and you You can even have a coolant leak (“coolant leak”, with the consequences you can imagine…) if you rub the underbody too much on the vibrators!

Here again, we are confronted with the contradictions of our quest for realism which must still remain within the framework of acceptable gameplay... who would want a car that does not start because we missed a step in a procedure that is too complicated?

We could have (should have?) put the AI at a higher level but, upon reflection, it was still good that way (even if some of you will think “you're talking about 95% performance). , it was too easy!”... to those I will just answer “drive for twelve hours and we’ll talk about it again…”).

Review of AMS2

AMS2 held up to the test without faltering for a single moment or even with a drop in FPS or visual aberrations during the night... hats off!

However, we can still make some criticisms. First of all, the traffic lights (present all around the large Le Mans circuit) were almost useless: green light flashing during the start and nothing after!

No blue flag when overtaking latecomers, no yellow flag to report incidents, nothing. It’s a real shame, especially if we compare to LMU, which is impeccable on this point (but criticizable on many others). In terms of incidents too, we didn't see any even though the race lasted twelve hours all the same!

During testing, I was able to see at least one spin of a DPI at the Dunlop chicane... But that's still too little. Be careful, I'm not asking for a “crash fest” but a little more entertainment. That said, there may have been incidents but not in front of us and Le Mans is a big circuit…

So, despite these few criticisms (we always want more!), the results are largely positive: AMS2 allows you to carry out long endurance races without being forgotten. This is important and reassuring, thank you Reiza!

• Winner Winner x 3