A new non hostile SP/MP format.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BrunoB, Aug 13, 2023.

1. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I just got a revelation because one of the guys in the SP/MP poll defined TT as a semi MP format.
    How about Reiza offered a MP race format where all cars was un-transparent ghosts?

This format could probably also lighten the pressure on AMS2s more or less malfunctioning PtoP system.
    Because the system didnt have to keep an eye out for any car-to-car damage.
    Because cars was allowed to drive through each other - like ghost cars.:)

ByTheWay: This format could probably also make a lot of hesitant MP players join the MP party.
    Because they dont have to fear 1st corner idiots. Or fear to spoil other players race. ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

So it would be a session where the most consistent and fastest driver wins without the chance of being punted? If so, then it could be a good temporary compromise

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

upload_2023-8-14_8-9-51.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. BrunoB

Come on guys try to not just reject new ideas because ... they are new.
    To the mumblings it is just a kind of TT in disguise then the difference is that such races are live.
    All drivers are on track live here and now!
    And to the mumbling that mandatory the fastest driver wins - oh man.
    Fast drivers often has accidents because they drive fast.;)
    Damage/accidents caused by walls, grass track borders etc are ofcourse in power.

Actually in iRacing then something like this is possible cause you can participate in race as ghost.
    And I know many iRacers (like me) who from time to time got so frustrated by wrecking and 1st corner idiots that we participated in some following races as ghost.
    But it was not very satisfactory because we could never see a result list showing where we would have finished up.:(

ByTheWay: It could be interesting to have comments from posters who are able to see possibilities instead of some invented im-possibilities :D
    But also from people who dont want to participate in MP now because....:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

AMS2: Trackmania Boogaloo.
    :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Yes but if you can't interact with them they might as well not be. There won't be any racecraft like defending a corner, no advantages from a good start or slipstreming, no need to alter your line to get an overtake and so on. The fun of doing races comes from the interaction with the other race cars around you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BrunoB

Yeah but what you call "interacting" and "defending" is what make most of the driver pool prefer single player - so...:whistle:

8. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Member AMS2 Club Member

I remember Forza On xbox had ghosted online races and they was good fun and enjoyable ! I think a good option for beginners online !

• Like Like x 1
  9. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

Personally, I think this is a pretty good idea to help ease the transition into MP.
    I've done a few MP races, but I am afraid of wrecking other people's experience by being a pretty average player myself. Having a safe environment to practice MP in would make me more comfortable entering proper MP races :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

You're not practicing MP though. Too many people (not just on ams2) treat MP racing as hotlapping without taking into account other cars. "I brake at 100m board so I will brake there even when a car is directly in front of me. Then blame them for being slow when I rear-end them."

To learn MP you need to respect other cars and learn how to race side-by-side or braking off line.

People always avoid MP because they think they aren't quick enough. Speed doesn't matter, being safe does.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is what you get in F1 23 during your first races in ranked online, and IMO doesn't feel right. It just doesn't feel like racing to me, so personally I'm out.. sorry

• Like Like x 1
  12. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

There are other games that have the option to turn collisions off, it's a good option to have imo, people who want a more realistic experience turn collisions on, people who don't want to gamble against rammers turn collisions off, in the end everybody is happy. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Collisions off is a big immersion killer since it would prevent you from overtaking....you can literally pass through them!

On the other hand I would appreciate asynchronous multiplayer (something similar to RealRacing 3 on smartphone).

Since we have TT times saved on database would be great if I could race AI with TT leaderboard names and times.

Ai would benefit from that too (users defined track lines).

• Like Like x 1
  14. BrunoB

Quite honestly I have no personal interest in trying to "force" something through - if nobody are interested in this new format.
    But my guess is that a lot of users both here and hopefully from other sims could be interrested in participating in such much more friendly MP format.
    But problem in this forum is probably that some of the guys who for the first time maybe would go online is also the guys who dont say much in the forum.;)

15. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I believe there is already an option in the AMS2 DS to turn OFF collisions called "Anti Griefing Collisions" where cars can just pass through each other. The server admin would just need to turn the feature ON.
    upload_2023-8-14_14-30-27.png

16. BrunoB

Does it work as you describe it or is it just something you believe?

17. BrunoB

18. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

already in WRC series. and it feels like TT with ghosts. it was not funny to me..

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wu!

Wu! Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I like the idea, sounds good for driving when drunk, which in my case is most of the time. In the end it would not hurt anybody and seems easy enough to implement. Nobody who does not wish to will be forced to participate in them, so I see no real downside.

These are mysterious times, I agree with Bruno ;)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Why don't you test it and find out?

• Like Like x 1