AI agression settings

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Xzanman, Nov 28, 2023.

1. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Whilst watching GPLAPS full F1 race stream he mentioned that when the AI aggression is set to max it basically overrides the individual driver aggression and makes all the AI drive with maximum aggression. If it is set ro high the AI will have more variety in their aggression.

Can this be confirmed.? What settings gives the best experience? Myself I cant say I see any real difference between high and max.

2. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I dunno if the vanilla AI skills work the same, but with custom AI medium aggression is the baseline. So if a driver has an aggression skill of .5, with medium aggression he will have .5 with high aggression .75 and with max 1.0. So basically with max aggression all drivers have 1.0 skill in aggression.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

That makes sense, so to get the intended aggression levels of individual drivers, medium should be used, I will give it a test. In the past I have always used max.

Perhaps the medium setting should be renamed baseline to make it clearer.

4. Mazdaspeed

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I am often surprised by the amount of players (in videos/forums/discord/wherever) who seem to use maximum AI aggression all the time when the information provided outlines that that it will basically reduce the amount of variety/nuance across your AI grid.

I don't know if it's because people don't know/understand how it works, or because of a perception that higher=better, or higher=more overtaking. Aggression also influences defending, as the link Mazdaspeed shared outlines, so that idea seems dubious.

Maybe some Max aggression advocates can comment on their experience.

I use Medium almost exclusively fwiw.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mazdaspeed

I think it's because I read a while ago in one of the threads that the higher the aggression the more aware the AI is of the player, I havent really tested it properly as I haven't really delved into the custom AI since I got into the Beta. But I have been using max aggression in my Beta tests and their behavior against me has been excellent.

Edit: I haven't tested properly the differences between medium and max aggression with the custom AI files*

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
  7. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

I used max agression because it made the AI actually try to overtake, even on max in the past a train would form. I have tried it on high recently and they seem to still try to overtake now. I will give medium a go.

8. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Well it's because the AI are slow and easy to beat. Excepting the few cases where it's buggy.

If setting the setting from Max to a lower one supposedly makes the AI better then that would just be comical - but maybe it does.

Even the thing "120" where did that come from? My understanding from older game engines where they tried to put in a percentage figure as AI level that related to the amount of grip, braking and traction that the AI would use of the theoretical max available. So 100 would be as fast as that car would be able to do a lap (all else being equal)

But then they realised developing games and being good at playing them wasn't the same thing and they noticed that good players were trivially beating these theoretically fast AI so thus was born the "120%" thing where the AI in these older games would get more grip than the player in order to create a bit of competition for people who can drive.

In other words in the past they couldn't get AI to drive fast either so they just fudged a multiplier. (Assetto corsa tried the other approach - actually giving the AI the same physics as the player, which improved a lot of things the fake AI do but they still struggled to get the AI to drive well)

And really little has improved since that day and we still have this "120" figure you can set albeit I doubt the underlying meaning of it is still there and it's clear that on different cars and tracks it means a different thing - but for the most part if it's beatable on 120 why would you turn it down?

There isn't much point in AI that you can beat trivially or that you can't beat at all is there? Thus most people are going to set it to the value where they win by a bit. Or 120. Whichever is the lower.

Unless you're Max Verstappen and are getting a million pounds a race to go on a track with people who can't keep up there's not a lot of motivation to use settings in a computer game that make the other players (real or otherwise) suck.

9. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is that another 'QED' for me, Michael? :p

10. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

You asked why people use it and for comments.
    If the answer seems obvious now it's because it was.