AI consistency over longer races

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Edward Teach, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Edward Teach

Edward Teach Hasteflex

Hi there
    I'm doing offline longer races (over an hour) and noticed that toward the last 1/3 of race the AI tends becomes easier to catch and pass, whereas before they were matching my lap times and speeds.
    Running AI at 95 - 104 % (depending on the car class) with 100% aggression.
    Anyone else notice this? Just wanted to ask to see if it's just me.... and sorry if this had been discussed before

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. stealthradek

stealthradek Smooth operatooooooor AMS2 Club Member

I believe this might be related to stamina parameters available for AI: Information for Customizing AI drivers in AMS2 V1.3

While the linked thread is about setting the custom AI to our liking, the default AI should have some standard values too which should include stamina.

I wonder if AI drop curve is more drastic over very long races, thus such noticeable results.

3. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you mean the fact that they seem to get more tired and sloppy in the later stages of a long race, then it could be the stamina factor. From the Customizing AI drivers thread:
    To test this hypothesis, you could create your own custom AI config file for the car class you want to test, and set every driver's stamina to 1.0 and see if the effect is no longer noticeable.

EDIT: ninja'd by stealthradek

4. Edward Teach

Edward Teach Hasteflex

Thanks ...this makes sense and I will adjust the AI custom stamina values to see if any difference !

5. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

I set stamina (as well as other parameters) to 1.00 for some AI drivers, but I got the same problem (1h10' of race, 5x time progression). At about 1/3 race time, laptime of best AI dropped... maybe it is also related to time progression multiplicator (and no AI driver swap because real time is just about 1 hour)?

6. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The tire management parameter can also cause some drivers to drop some pace.

7. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

All parameters (tire management too) are set to 1.0. Furthermore, aggression is set to 100. AI is fast during first 20 minuts, then drop. The drop is enhanced by lapping slow cars, but it is not due just by that. The same problem was in pCARS2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

I've noticed that no matter how long the race, 30 mins, an hour or longer the last third is where the stamina parameters start taking effect...

I feel they are a bit too strong as even drivers with high tyre management and mistake based parameters the AI lose a lot of time in that last third of a race...

9. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

Do you play with 1x time progression? Did you notice more or same effects with higher time progression settings? Thanks

10. Scar666

The effect seems the same no matter the length of race or the time progression... After 2/3s of the race the AI struggles to do consistent laps as well as they did beforehand...

11. Erik G

Erik G New Member

Their tire wear is bonkers. I noticed that on a custom three hour race with driver swap where the AI had control during the middle stint.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Scar666

Well just further evidence that the AI runs on a different version of physics...