AMS2 immersion is top notch

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by xNAPx, Jun 19, 2024.

1. xNAPx

xNAPx Member

Hi there, probably already discussed but I wanted to share with you my experience with this sim after long time using Assetto Corsa and I fell in love with it. Don't know why many people think this sim physics acts weird but for me it comes really close to real life. Today I went karting for the first time in my life and felt the sensations of real driving (only if it's on a kart) and started analysing my sensations (sense of speed, force feedback of gravity on my body, kart behaviour handling, tyres grip) and after I tried the same on this sim, with my surprise there is a very similar model to the one I tried so it was an easy comparison. I followed many guides on force feedback on the wheel, downloaded one of the custom ffb file on this forum (danielkart v4000 to be precise) and on the camera movement as many complaints about the floaty feeling of this sim. This guides tell you to get rid of head shaking and set everything to zero keeping only legacy head tracking. Well this turns out to be absolutely wrong. So what I did I selected a kart track and this kart model, I then started trying all the camera movement to match what I felt into my real driving session and slowly slowly i figured out that to match in game those sensations. It started feeling once I was focusing on the driving and the screen very much close. I was throttling braking exactly like I was on the real kart, the feeling of the car moving and the tyre grip was amazingly almost identical, than I was like let me try the F1 ultimate gen 2 now and... I was blown away. Now can't really say if an F1 car feels like that but I started visualizing the grip understanding exactly when to push and when I was about to loose grip. I don't know why many people underestimate this sim this much, in terms of immersion is second to none, and regarding the realism of the physics if it's not perfect it goes really close to real life. More people should start considering this a true driving simulator

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. asalton

asalton Copa Classic driver

In my (brief) experience the low powered FWD cars in AMS2 also feel pretty close to the real thing, in the sense that real life driving techniques translate well to the sim..
    To be fair any sim nowadays is good, as long as you take some time to set it up properly. I try to avoid "guides" and adjust settings that matches the sensations I get in the track.
    I love AC too but that feels like driving on ice at times, and quite sensitive to driver inputs, while in AMS2 there is more "inertia" from the chassis to me :)

3. xNAPx

xNAPx Member

I totally agree, going back to Assetto Corsa make me feel like driving on ice, while in this sim I feel the car planted on the asphalt with the tires gripping on it, amazing

4. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I remember being pretty shocked a couple of years ago the day I went to a rental karts place and the very same night I jumped into the rental in ams2. I know what you feel :)

Also, the other way around, last year I drove a G1 Gol in real life (uruguayan CUPA, pretty similar to the copa classic version of G1 gol, a bit less prepared) after some hours in the sim, and I really knew what I was doing, it behaved exaclty the same, my knowledge transferred perfectly.

The big difference in the kart is that the kart is very physical. The kart is like a torture machine and that sensation is obviously not transferred to the sim. In the touring car, while obviously in the sim you lack the accelerations of real life, it is even more similar than the kart.

Most of the time people discuss what is missed from irl to the sim, but rarely about what you get. While I really enjoyed driving the Gol and I want to do it again at some point, I realized something bizarre that day: I actually prefer the sim to real life driving. No dust, no uncomfortable outfit, no need to transport the car to the track, much cheaper, air conditioning, you can do it at any time, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Jason Fantus

Jason Fantus New Member

The immersion factor really is great. I just did a Lamborghini SuperTrofeo race using the mod that is available - great car BTW. Wants to kill you until the tires are warm then its still dangerous but controlable.

Anyway, that series is 50 minute races, and requires a driver change. So I said, ok, lets give the AI Swap driver a try. Drove for 30, did my pit stop, and gave it to the AI to finish out. I was cursing the other guy for not making some easy passes, but it kept my position in the race and added to the immersion - you dont get to drive the whole thing in real life, so you dont here either! Looking forward to the rest of the custom championship - maybe in race 2 i wont spin in the corkscrew at Laguna Seca and get a podium instead of p 7 :/

6. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Yes, immersion is a major strength of Ams2. I'm a big fan of the variety of cars in a simulation and not just the GT3/GT1 cars. Unfortunately, I have a different opinion than you about FWD cars. Unfortunately, the immersion is very disturbed by anomalies when shifting up or down. In my opinion a physical problem with FWD cars. I hope and believe that Reiza will fix this error with updates in the future

• Like Like x 1
  7. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

What anomalies do you mean? Can you elaborate?

8. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

When upshifting or downshifting in FWD vehicles, there are strong deflections in the steering axis and can therefore be clearly seen on the steering wheel and in the FFB diagram. This anomaly is particularly noticeable when cornering at slow speeds when upshifting or downshifting. At high speeds and without cornering, this behavior disappears. Of course it also depends on the force you use, with a low force base it probably won't be noticeable. At high forces it is very uncomfortable and disrupts immersion. At least that was the case about 2 weeks ago when I tested the FWD cars. I'm not driving at the moment, the European Football Championship has priority;):D

9. xNAPx

xNAPx Member

Can't speak for all the cars I'm happy to drive only f1 cars and hypercars and I think the physics is great on these cars as well as the go kart rental which was very similar to his couterpart irl. Also one thing that this sim does great is the sense of speed which other sims fail in transmitting (including iracing) that many People may confuse with arcadeish physics

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leen-q

Leen-q Member

I started with AC and ACC but couldn't get used to the unnatural feeling of the ffb and cars. I tried race 07 which was a lot more fun and felt pretty good until I bought AMS1 for a few euros. This was what I was looking for in psychics and ffb, I got an opportunity to purchase the AMS2 for cheap, just wow. The experience I had with the Caterham and Ford formula is great, I use the custom ffb by Kuku and it feels so natural. You really feel all the soap in such a natural way, this is what gives a smile from ear to ear that no longer disappears while driving, just awesome