AMS2 league event - home server vs peer to peer

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by G-Slev, May 6, 2023.

1. G-Slev

G-Slev New Member

I am running a multiclass event with up to 20 competitors and I was wondering about the benefits of running it on peer to peer (on my simracing PC) or running a dedicated server (on my home server).

The Simrig has an i5 8600k with 32gb of RAM. The server is an old PC I had lying around - it runs windows 10 and has an old Athlon x4 860k and 16gb of ram. It is usually fine running raceroom and assetto corsa dedicated servers despite it's low power.

Does an AMS2 dedicated server need much PC power? The dedicated server plugs straight into my router and gets 200mb internet - but the simrig runs on powerlines and the internet connection tops out at about 50mb.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

2. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

It depends on how widely spread apart your contenders are...

If they are from all over the world, then p2p is far superior for pings... Especially if there's 2 from the same country on the other side of the world from the server... They'll have pings to each other of over 500ms when on p2p they'd be 50ms...

If they are all from the same state/country then the merits of dedicated servers are well worth it... As it really makes admin a lot easier...

Hopefully this is part of the fixes Reiza are planning... Because without the dedicated server you don't get proper results and the lack of admin controls is even more glaring...

3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Are you sure of this?
    If using p2p would the ping of the two from same country not be negatively influenced by the 3rd one with a more lousy connection(= much higher ping).
    Me think :)

4. Scar666

There's that issue regardless of dedicated server or not...

In fact that 1 bad ping issue is far worse on a dedicated server...

It seems backwards, but that's the state of AMS2 MP code atm... Dedicated servers are great for admin reasons, terrible for pings...

5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

OK learned something here.
    I just thought that if you used a server based connection (opposite of a p2p) then it was only the user with bad ping that yes had bad ping.
    I thought the other was uninfluenced by this.:confused:

6. Scar666

The dedicated servers in AMS2 are set up in a silly manner...

The first person to join is basically the server... Creating much larger pings as the players go through the host then to the server and then back again...