An idea on improving immersion in VR at night

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by rmagid1010, Jan 24, 2022.

1. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

At the moment, many of the GT3, GT3 and GTE cockpits are pitch black at night. It might not be a problem with screens but in vr it feels very odd to drive like this. It is also not realistic to real life. In real life cars have light up switches and glow-in-the-dark stickers but this is absent in ams2. The cockpits also have purple light above the driver to light up the dash;[​IMG]

Check out some footage of night racing in the BMW M6 GT3, a car in ams2. It is a lot more vivid that the current representation of this car in AMS2.

If you drive drive the Corvette C8R in rf2, all the lights on the center console light up (although the purple light is absent). Drive the C8R in AMS2 and it is pitch black. Drive the 720s in AMS2 and you see this weird bug with the shift lights which is actually quite. The only sim ik which has a feature like this is AC with custom configs for some of the cars. [EDIT: Iracing has this feature for some cars]

Obviously most people only race GT cars at tracks like Spa or Monza in dry daytime conditions and on screens, but when the sim matures and more endurance features are introduced, I feel that this absence of a feature may be more noticable. A discussion on this is also in the rf2 forums.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  2. RDG

RDG Active Member

One thing that would greatly help in this aspect is functioning lockup lights. This not only aids in driving as you get a visual signal that your wheels are locking/sliding, but it also aids greatly in VR immersion at night.

Example:

The two horizontal rows of LEDs on both sides of the wheel. The RSR-19 also has those above the wheel but they’re not functional at the moment. I don’t recall Pc2 having them working either so it may be an engine limitation, but I really hope they can be made functional at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  3. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I asolutely agre about the night Cockpit lighting, or the absence of it. The blue light works very well RL too, since LED ambient lighting is a thing for a lot of manufacturers right now, and the blue light indeed does not affect neither the eyes night sight, nor the look outside because even the blue light reflections tend to dissipate. It is, for a reason, the most used interior lighting in military aviation and navy as well for ground vehicle since it also does not interfer with night vision devices.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  4. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don’t think they function in any car in AMS2 or PC2. I think I recall a dev stating that they would like these lights to function in-game, so it is known within Reiza already.

There are some other stuff which ought to be included, for instance with the modern formula cars. The flag lights on the Formula Reiza don’t work in AMS2 (but do work in AMS1), and the DRS and KERS/ERS lights on that car and the Formula Ultimate.

5. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I posted the other day in the features wishlist, interior neon night lights along with yellow headlights for certain classes in mp.
    Feel free to up vote it :)
    Can't remember if AMS has neon number boards or not but that would be another nice edition

• Like Like x 1
  6. racezilla

racezilla Member AMS2 Club Member

Those purple lights are infrared lights. They are there so that the camera can get a clear image without disturbing the driver. Cameras pick the infrared lights up, but human eyes don't. I would not see why the driver would want a bright light shining in front of his eyes :D.
    This simple video shows it in practice:

Alternatively you can search "how to make night vision goggles", it will give you a similar result.

Edit: I definitely agree with addition of dashboard lights like the ones missing on the BMW M8 GTE and Porsche 911 RSR for example. I would love to see turn indicators as well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
  7. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Active Member

Well, I rather have them working on outside light poles that light up the track at night to help with formula car racing because I can't see a damm thing in the dark lol.

8. Xblurone

Xblurone Member AMS2 Club Member

I would like the dashboard not to light up super bright when a car is behind me. It’s like there is no rear in the car and the headlights shine straight through me and the chairs on the dashboard in front. I find that extremely distracting and this was exactly the same in PC2… is that so hard to fix?