Bouncing and unround tyres (new) messes up FFB.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Interceptor, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

Hi guys,

After looking for long (made a few topics even about it) as to make the FFB feel 'less weird', I think (well, know) I have found the problem.

The FFB feels "shaky" like there is a tyre messed up.
    So, I flatspotter it, I drove through marbles and so on. Tried to eliminate that, stayed on the racing line, drove like an old lady and so on: didn't work.

You can perfectly see, at most when the speed gets lower, under 60 kph for instance, the tyre is bouncing.

So to eliminate all that stuff and where it is most noticeable: when you pick the Formula Ultimate Gen 2 at Interlagos: the car drives out of the pitlane on its own: right from the start, the first meter even (and after that) the front wheels are bouncing!

Now I work at a track, seen cars and even F1 cars drive out of the outbox and pitlane: they do NOT bounce, not like that! When there is a bump, okay, but not like the pitlane is a cobblestone road.

And THAT is the exact feeling I keep all the time in my FFB.

So, maybe the tyres need some reworking? This can not be right.

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Can you give some details on the FFB stetting you use in game and on your wheel. Also good to say what wheelbase you use

• Like Like x 1
  3. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

Thank you for your response @Racinglegend1234
    The reason I did not do that right away, was because of the fact it is shown/present even before the FFB kicks in: in the pitlane where the cars drives itself out.
    And I wanted to add (because thats what I find when I search the WWW) it is not the bouncing of the screen that bugs me: it is purely the wheels that don't seem round and the feel of that when the FFB comes in.

The wheelbase is the Fanatec DD1 @ 40% strength. (Ingame strength is 40/65%)
    Damper at 30/50
    both frictions: 4/10
    that ffb interpolation: 6/12
    strength (right after that interpolation one) 60/80%
    The reason I do xx/xx is because I tried many, many settings.
    But to get it out completely, I have to set the FFB OFF really: if a wheel is unround; you will always feel it.

4. Racinglegend1234

I know about the bouncing in the pits, but not feeling it in the FFB. Maybe it’s the dampening or something. I’m sorry, but I’ve not heard of this issue and I have no idea what the cause might be

5. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

You have to live with the jumping with the defaults, there's nothing you can do about it. Neither in the in-game settings nor in the base settings

6. Interceptor

Interceptor Member

Thanks for your response guys!

The way I see it: this is a MAYOR BUG in this awesome game, right?
    Why don't they dress this?
    I mean, a car skipping over the road, wobbly as F..., when FFB kicks in, the EXACT wobble is in your wheel and only goes away at speed in a straight line, comes back when you brake and turn.
    This game is SO good with everything else, content is being worked on, bugs are solved, but the most important thing.......
    Its like buying a new car and the engine is running a mile to the gallon: live with it.

7. Racinglegend1234

8. Danielkart

If it were, Reiza would have fixed it a long time ago. It doesn't seem to be easy to reconcile physics and the FFB with the Madness Engine. Maybe one day they will succeed, unfortunately at the moment they are not there yet and they have to live with compromises

9. Racinglegend1234

Try custom FFB, I have no issues with using them

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Danielkart

This is about the defaults, not customs. His question was about defaults

11. Racinglegend1234

I know, but I’m giving him a suggestion of how to make it stop bouncing

• Like Like x 1
  12. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Please try increasing the in-game damper & friction as suggested in my signature to see if it reduces the oscillation. Are you using Default or Default+ profile..? What LFB%..?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  13. Danielkart

Hello Coanda!
    The cars bouncing out of the pits and in slow corners will continue even if the damping and friction are increased. In addition, increasing the in-game damping increases the pendulum and oscillation of the wheel. Increasing the damping at the base has little success, but the inertia is increased. Increasing the friction is of little use and it also increases the oscillation of the wheel. I can test this on my Simucube without being in the game. At around 10-15% friction the wheel starts to oscillate. In addition, the bump stop on Fanatec dd1 and dd2 is very bad (too hard and unfiltered) and reinforces the effect even further.These are of course my personal experiences with the defaults and do not have to coincide with yours or with other people

14. audio.pizarro

audio.pizarro New Member

I'm still struggling with this, too. Anywhere between the release of Le Mans and 1.5.5.6, I thought this has been fixed. I gave the defaults some more tries with my Logitech G923 and mostly GT3 and different Prototypes. Wild oscillation and pendulum that I felt before where gone, but I still was so used to my custom file so I switched back to that.

Yesterday, after the 1.5.5.6 update, I took some time to dial in the default and default+ FFB to my liking, but the pendulum effect was always there again. It's like the self-aligning torque is oversaturated in the default FFBs. It is not telling you: "The front wheels wanna go back straight, you can let them go". It is constantly shouting: "GO LEFT, NOOOOOO, GO RIGHT, NOOOOOO THE OTHER WAY", so it's shooting over the point where you could catch the car. Couldn't eliminate that with any setting.

Because I didn't use the defaults after every single update, I can't tell you which one brought these changes for me and it also could be a G-Hub issue.
    Just letting you know in case Reiza will investigate it, there where a few weeks before 1.5.5.6 where I could eliminate the unwanted pendulum effect.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  15. Danielkart

Thank you for your experiences and your comment. I know what the many updates have done to the defaults. I also know how I can avoid these problems. Thanks for your answer

16. audio.pizarro

audio.pizarro New Member

I know you know, I just enjoy your custom FFB so thank you for helping us with that :). I just wish it would be easier to get a good experience in all cars with sliders called filter or damping that turn down oscillation (that's what other sims do, isn't it?). Now I study files and blend my favorites together, but hey, it's great to have that option.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

I use the custom ffb file attached and some screenshots.
    I can now mitigate the oscillation with only using the game damper in game, without affecting the "feel" too much. It's not 100% gone, but it comes with my liking for rather heavy steering I guess.
    Setting damping to 50 as a middle ground, I can go up or down, depending on the car. HiTech Gen 2 ex. oscillates like crazy, while Formula Reiza is quite ok at both ends of the slider. Just my 2 cents :)

Attached Files:

18. Danielkart

Maybe you should look again at the in-game settings and the base settings. Many of your settings are counterproductive to vibrations and oscillations

19. Phantas79

Phantas79 Member

What do you mean?

20. Racinglegend1234

I think he’s saying that your settings lower the amount of vibrations and oscillations