Car Rotation in consistencies

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Ketih, Jan 4, 2024.

1. Ketih

Ketih New Member

First of all let me say I am a huge fan of AMS2 right from the beginning. I want to touch on the Rotation of the cars in AMS2 which feels like it is centered around the center of the car and not the rear axle. It is a feeling of having the rear of the car rotate in the opposite direction of the front at the same time. This then emulates a feeling of sliding when you are not. What are your thoughts?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Do you have a video? I don’t fully understand

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Rotation tends to happen at the center of mass and not around the rear axle.

That's the reason why evenly placed weight distribution is often desired for race cars. Many are close to 50/50, especially in GTs.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. CrimsonEminence

Actually a nice watch about engine positions by Aris (a physics Dev at Kunos) that i personally find really easy to understand and insightful to get why rotation depends on center of mass and not necessarily at any expected point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Ketih

Ketih New Member

No video, what Crimson was stating "Rotation tends to happen at the center of mass and not the rear axle. Is accurate for a mass floating in space not attached to anything. However when there is an attachment point, in this case the rear axle, this will be the pivot point. In the game it "feels" to be center mass. I have become very aware of finite movements in the game due to some minor hearing loss. relying more on visuals than sound of the tires. Honestly it feels as thought the car is rotating around the center and not the rear axle which again is the attachment point. Imagine a bucket of sand being swung around on a rope. the center of the mass may be 6 ft away from you , and you are center of the rotation. What happens when you have oversteer? The rear of the vehicle rotates/slides around the front axle because that is the next attachment point. How can the front and rear rotate around the center of the car? Both the front tires and the rear tires would be sliding in opposite directions. Things only rotate around the center of mass with a single fixed attachment point.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  6. KingJareth

KingJareth New Member

I cant speak for everyone but I'm fairly sure I weigh more than the bucket of sand.
    Not disagreeing with your points about the game just that that was a bad metaphor.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CrimsonEminence

Front tires being an attachment point for swinging the rear around makes sense yeah, it's not a single attachment point though - on throttle this isn't necessarily always the case either especially with before induced initial rotation.

I'd like to see a replay of that behaviour.