Championships - What issues are there with custom AI files?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Scar666, May 6, 2023.

1. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

As the title suggests I haven't run custom championships in AMS2 and would like to know the limitations that are within the current system to help the way I set up the mods that I'm working on...

I will use the Indycar 2023 mod as an example because it has a special AI set with certain drivers only showing up at the tracks that they appear at... So Sato replaces Armstrong at the ovals and Carpenter never shows up at the road courses...

What I need to know is...

Does a driver being replaced via track specifics mid season break the scoring or does anything bad happen?

What happens when a driver switches teams mid season?

Can the number of AI be changed between rounds?

Is the maximum AI slots determined by the tracks or is there a global number for championships?

Depending on what limitations are involved we have a couple of solutions ready for the Indycars... But this could also open a lot of doors for the Group C and other mods that are coming...

Cheers!

2. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can answer some of you questions.
    • The maximum numbers of drivers is determined by the tracks, so if you have 1 circuit that only supports 19 AI, thats the maximun allowed for the whole championship even if all other tracks support more.
    • Due to the above, the amount of drivers cant be changed mid season
    • I cant confirm this 100% but drivers replacing others mid season will gain points for the original driver when the season starts, havent tested this 100% so someone might know better.
    The main limitations right now are the very limited points systems available, the # of drivers being set by the track with the smallest grid, no teams or constructor points, and the drivers replacements not getting points for themselves.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Cheers!

That track limitation really does hold up things...

That 19 number is largely for some of the historic tracks yeah? I wonder what the 1974 championships are like because I know the AI file in there changes a lot of drivers for the different races...

4. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, historic championships are a bit of a pain, I just look at the real standings and choose the top 19 drivers of each championship season I am doing and go with that, it's the best compromise IMHO.

I am not gonna miss Ian Scheckter or Mario Andretti for example, whom didnt really do much that season.