Cockpit view realism

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Peter Kasbergen, Nov 2, 2022.

1. Peter Kasbergen

Peter Kasbergen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Here's a question for you all. I'm trying to figure out the most realistic cockpit view in a sim, independent of the seating position. I'm concerned with the setting for "horizon lock" or whatever it's called in the different sims. (In AMS2: Legacy Head Movement on or off.)

1. Personally, I prefer a camera "locked to car" (LHM on), meaning the world outside moves up and down when you drive over bumps. The theory behind this is, that as a driver you are strapped tightly into your seat, so in principle you move with the car. Your neck and brain do filter out a bit, which is why I always let the car move around me a little bit (low Head Movement value). The advantage is that I can see exactly what the car is doing in all directions.

2. The alternative is what I call "chicken view" (see Mercedes commercial from a while back/LHM off). Meaning your head is stuck to the horizon and the car moves around you. The theory behind this is that your neck and brain filter out so much that you are essentially stable in the car. The disadvantage is that I do not see exactly what the car is doing, with a big height drop it seems as if I am floating out of my seat and in general that I get seasick from that dancing car around me.

Apart from personal preference (which I'm curious about anyway), I wonder what is the most realistic. The problem is, it's hard to tell this from helmet cam videos online, because GoPros, etc. are often shot with image stabilization, so it automatically looks like your head is stuck on the horizon and the car is "dancing". But just the fact that image stabilization causes this, makes me suspect that "locked to car" is more realistic, unless your neck and brain filter in such a way that it isn't.

The funny thing is that almost ALL sim streamers (and I imagine most casual gamers too) use option 2/"chicken view". Dan Suzuki prefers it. He talks about it in his latest Rennsport video. With GamerMuscle, I even had a short discussion about it in his stream. He says he gets seasick from "locked to car". One reason so many simracers use option 2 may be because it's almost always the default in a sim. Which in turn poses the question why that is the case: comfort or realism?

I am curious about your thoughts and opinions on this matter. Be sure to make clear whether you are talking about your preference or realism in general.

2. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I also prefer LHM on (with the other related setting I cannot remember the name at 0%), which was the default in early versions of AMS2 before Reiza changed it to off because of many people complaining about it and I suppose to make it more like other sims.
    LMH on feels much more dynamic and natural to me and more connected to the road.
    But some people cannot stomach the horizon shaking (the amount depending on car, speed and track bumpiness) and prefer instead a dead stable horizon with the car cockpit bouncing and bobbing, which in my opinion looks very unnatural and fake.
    On Spa 1970, the horizon shakes quite a bit as that track is very bumpy. I love it !

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

i prefer the locked to car, it feels weird to me that the dash would bump around independent from my steering wheel, but i totally get the other side too, irl your eyes compensate for shaky movement so both have real world merit

so glad in AMS 2 you have both options

• Like Like x 1