Could mods be infected by virus? How to check it?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Modding' started by Venyer, Aug 17, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Venyer

Venyer New Member

Hi, I would like to know if modding is safe to use or not. I mean if you can get infected by a virus by using mods.

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

That's the risk. You don't know. Could be a miner innit, or a keylogger. Best bet it so download from safe sites.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As Marius wrote, you don't really known, however I have never gotten a virus from downloading any mod in more than 15+ years. Just use common sense when choosing where you download them. If you see that the website is asking to "install" a program to be able to download the mod, that's a clear red flag to not use such website.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Venyer

Venyer New Member

Thank you both. I have downloaded Automobilista 2 Content Manager 0.2.1, the Thunderflash mods 3.6 and the project cars modding team tracks and cars from the original sites. They are amazing! Let's hope everything is safe...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Marius H

@Venyer

You've won three years of free Netflix! Click 'here' now to complete the progress.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. 3dquick

3dquick Active Member

I think you are reasonably safe with AMS2 as there isn´t really a big player base - it would be more effective to put malicious stuff in content for games played by tens of thousands of players.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Venyer

Venyer New Member

I think I know what you mean... I try to stay away from those sites... However, have you tried the ones I mentioned before?

8. Marius H

I don't do mods yet, cause I want Reiza to 'finish' the game first. As respect to them, and ofcourse due I am in the beta team. I am sure the websites mentioned above are quite safe

9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

All of those are safe and if they aren’t, then we can contact them with pitchforks and fire

10. paoloambrosio

paoloambrosio New Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS2CM is open source: the code is publicly available for scrutiny and modification. The build on GitHub is automated, so can't be fiddled with. The one on RaceDepartment is manually uploaded, and anyone can validate that contents are the same.

Mods are not programs and, as such, cannot contain viruses or malware. If the archive that you are installing doesn't contain any exe or dll file you are safe. I might actually add a check in AMS2CM to warn users of potentially malicious archives that are not mods.

• Informative Informative x 2