Could someone explain pit stops to me?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Maj. Woody, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Maj. Woody

Maj. Woody New Member

How do I pit for fuel, tires etc...during a PUG race? Also how do I pit while racing AI?

Thanks

2. Lab Pong

Lab Pong OG Sim'er

What is a PUG race?

You will need to map ICM (in car management) buttons.
    Edit Assignments>Game>In Car Management, then what ever to controls for up/down/left/right.

3. Maj. Woody

Maj. Woody New Member

A "PUG" is a pickup game, or in this game a pickup race. Random players coming together for an online race

4. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm a bit late to this post, but let's reply anyway just in case it still helps.

Press the pit request button during your in-lap (bind it while doing the ICM keybinds). Remember to brake in time before the pit speed limit line. Drive to the red STOP marker at your pit stall and stop. If you got the position right, the car will get jostled up and possibly sideways/forward/back a tiny bit (or sometimes down, which is a minor bug). You'll get progress bars for fuel, tyres and repairs. Wait until the game tells you you're free to go and get back on track.

When you go in, the pit crew will do to your car whatever is set in the strategy you have selected, or the default strategy if you haven't selected anything. You can select a pit strategy preset either before the race starts or mid-race using the in-car menu. You can also use the in-car menu to alter the details of the selected preset mid-race.

I use this list of presets:
    1. Dry
    2. Wet
    3. Dry + fuel
    4. Wet + fuel
    5. Fuel only
    6. Repairs only

Presets 1-5 include aero and suspension repairs. 6 is a full repair. I use the in-car menu to adjust anything that needs changing mid-race, like the amount of fuel to add.

Mid-race changes to the presets get saved into the preset, so I have a habit of sometimes double-checking the strategies at the end of quali in case I've messed them up during a previous race. I also do a quick check in the in-car menu on my in-lap.

Mind you, what I do might not be perfect time-wise or the best fit for others. Also a note about preset 6: repairing everything includes engine repairs, which can take a loooot of time. This can be problematic when you want to repair everything except the engine with 6 points of damage. I've considered making another preset for situations like that since the in-car menu doesn't allow for precise selection of parts to fix.

This process is the same for multiplayer and offline gameplay.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. jztemple

jztemple New Member

Troodon, thanks for that info!

6. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

One thing to add to this, redo the presets before each race, otherwise you will get the wrong tyrepressures at the pitstop

• Like Like x 1
  7. jztemple

jztemple New Member

Good gosh, I'm glad you mentioned that, I hadn't even considered it.
    Perhaps the devs could add a option for the new tires to have the same pressure as the tires on at the start.

• Like Like x 5
  8. TrigMan59

TrigMan59 Active Member

Wow, this was super informative. I had been searching on YouTube for a video on this topic as I want to do endurance races with variable weather and would need to change from slicks to rain tires as conditions change and I had no idea how to do this.

• Like Like x 1