Default CART Setups in Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by skwid23, Nov 23, 2022.

1. skwid23

skwid23 New Member

Hey gang,

Yesterday some friends and I tried out the Indianapolis oval for the first time in this game - we ran the Formula USA Gen3 as it's the most recent Indycar featured in the game, and this was obviously an epic era in North American open-wheel racing. Very cool cars.

Firstly, the Indianapolis model is terrific - I call Indianapolis home and actually work as an engineer in the Indycar Series, so I was happy to see how detailed the track was and how much it felt like the real thing. Well done!

As for the car - we all had a lot of issues and spent a good amount of time getting the balance dialed in. We all used the Reynard-Mercedes from Formula USA Gen3 and couldn't initially post any sort of lap as it had wicked mid-corner oversteer - it felt like way too much front wing, but after setting the wings to 0-7 the issue was still there (we typically race with whichever rear wing option is selected by default so we all run a similar drag spec to stay competitive with each other). In the end we had to use a bit of roll bar tuning to dial the balance in, both in the setup sheet and in the cockpit once we got running - entries were still a little sketchy but we know this as the "feel" of the game so it was manageable.

I guess my request would be to make the default setups a bit more understeery for these cars running at Indianapolis - making the setup so difficult right out of the box could potentially steer people away from trying these cars - I know my friends were completely done with them after one race, which bummed me since the 500 is my home race. Not every default setup needs to be perfect obviously but I think this one could use a little playtesting to make it more accessible and have good racing right out of the box. Oval racing with aero cars is a lot about keeping your car in a good operating window throughout a stint as well as whether you're running in traffic or not so the adjustments are great to have - I just think giving people an easier starting point would be a better introduction to this amazing track.

Thanks!
    Connor

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. lunamoon

lunamoon Active Member

This is great feedback! As someone without a whole lot of car setup knowledge, I find that default baseline setups can make or break a car, and I'm much less likely to ever drive that car again when it's difficult out of the box. Definitely a big task to have good setups for every car in every track (if not impossible), but it's nice to have some great feedback from someone who works in the series. Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts! I hope the devs see this.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ALEX FISCHER

ALEX FISCHER New Member

Do you have some suggestions for bar adjustments to help the oversteer? I'm running into largely the same problem you were describing and I'm struggling to drive around the issue and have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to open wheel oval setups. Any advice would be much appreciated!

4. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

I found the same thing.

The way I dealt with it was adjusting the on-power and coast differential - more lock in the coast, and less lock for on-power. 3 clicks for both dealt with it beautifully. Once dialed it had really good balance in all 3 corner phases - and in the event you get loose, it has a really nice controllable slide.

Then when in dirty air (giving you understeer), I would soften the front roll bar, giving you more control.

5. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't really race much in ovals but these are very fun and takes a lot of concentration. Found the default set up very unstable as well, turned the spool off and the clutch lsd on and found it much better. Mind you, I don't know much about setup so maybe that is not optimal, but I was able to do a 39.3 which gave me pole at 102 AI without much practice nor any other adjustment.

• Like Like x 1