Default Skins and how to access them

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Benisreallycool, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Benisreallycool

Benisreallycool New Member

I was wondering if it was possible to access and edit some of the original skins? Reiza seems to have painted some period correct liverys with the exception of sponsors and I'd love to put the correct sponsors on some!!

I believe this to be possible because if I remember correctly the original iteration of the spectacular CART 1995 mod was just this, default skins with real sponsors added on!

Also anyone know where to find the Group C templates? I haven't put any time into looking yet but if someone knows off the top of their head it would be appreciated!

Edit- I found the templates after about 11 seconds of searching.

Thanks!
    -Ben

2. Benisreallycool

I've done many a shady thin here but i have accessed the default skins, below I will give a brief summary of how I have accomplished this. If any of this is unacceptable please let me know so I can delete this ASAP, I'm just here to have fun!

I located the livery.bff files found in Steam\steamapps\common\Automobilista 2\Pakfiles\Vehicles

I used a program called quickbms from the NFS shift era and I needed to find a separate script for the program that was titled nfsshift.bms and was found by searching how to extract Project Cars 2 files

I followed the on screen prompts and just like that I had my default livery's.

Again I really hope I am not breaking any rules here, this is not an attempt to rip or convert any content merely trying to edit default skins to provide a little more immersion.

3. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Before you go down too many rabbit holes I'd make sure you've gone to Race Department and picked up the many skinpacks from there...

Real sponsors on many cars already exists... And the latest batch of Brazilian legends cars have been fixed up, with their releases likely to come when the next update comes fixing the issues like ghost drivers...

If you'd rather have your own versions right now that's up to you... Just thought I'd save you some time if you weren't aware of RD...

4. Benisreallycool

Hey Scar, thanks for all the advice!! I have absolutely been on RaceDepartment since finding it after the loss of RaceSimCentral!!!! In fact the whole purpose of this mission is to actually contribute to the site Ive used for soo many years!!! That being said I have yet to see any skins for the Corvette GTP or the Nissan and I figured this may be my chance!!! That being said, despite having all the required tools and files now it turns out that its been almost a decade since I last seriously used photoshop. So currently we are doing a little rust removal until the quality is close to par with the many talented painters around. I can not wrap my head around these alpha channels lolololololol and god help me when it comes to previews!!!

Heres where I am at so far-

WSC 1988 Alternate History

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Oh so that's you!!! I'm always quick when I'm on RD so I rarely check the names of the people there unless they are talking to me...

You inspired me to do a WSC 1989 mod with a flavour of the season instead of trying to BOP it... Got quite a few skins knocked up already so I can certainly help with those templates... I also know a fair bit of the in's and outs of how to set up the files so if you need a hand feel free to ask...

The only thing I can't really help with is the patience it takes to nail a preview... I tend to do text previews or ask someone else to handle them for me...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023