Discord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flavio Engel, Mar 26, 2024.

1. Flavio Engel

Flavio Engel Member

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but have you considered creating an official Discord channel instead of, or in addition to, this forum? The forum seems outdated and Discord offers many more possibilities. In my humble opinion, managing a Discord channel would be less of a hassle as well.

Cheers

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. stealthradek

stealthradek I know nothing. AMS2 Club Member

Current forum is easily browseable unlike Discord which is just a mess of off-topics and hidden behind login.

Moderation is more difficult too due to higher amount of messages adding a strain on limited resources.

As a addition, why not; but I definitely enjoy a platform more inviting to longer messages and better quality of read than majority of Discord conversations.

I'd say forum is enough, but that's just my opinion :cool:

• Agree Agree x 12
  3. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd be in the "no thanks" camp too. Discord is great in certain situations but for larger groups it requires a ton of moderation. Also in my experience official discords tend to be the biggest headache, its not worth the effort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Nope no Discord please. I like the forums way more than the cluttered Discord channels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Things get lost too easily in discord and are hard to find once you get a number of posts

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

which in their own way (forums) are horribly cluttered and virtually impossible to follow a thread easily. I lament the move from email based lists for support, the structure was much more strict and useful and were far easier to navigate and there was much less off-topic posting because of the structure.

7. Flavio Engel

Flavio Engel Member

I must say, that in the beginning, I did not like Discord that much, I'm old school as well, almost 40. But had to live with it, now I think is not that bad, and more organized than you might think our community has more than 100k members, and we just recently got a community manager. Before was all done by ourselves.

Different channels, can have different ways to be visualized including, a "forum" that does not look that different from a forum like in the web.

8. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I guess I’m getting old and used to a forum setup. For me it is a more community feeling than via Discord. But we all have our own preferences :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

I dont see a reason to talk something down just because you want to talk another thing up.
    If your discord is so good it will probably live happily everafter - without your help;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Flavio Engel

Flavio Engel Member

I'm sorry if mentioning the forum is outdated, offended you. That was not the intention, what I meant is that forums were created a long time ago, and today there are other type of platforms that targets players and communities that are far more advanced then a web based forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

midlifer here with decades of web based Forums use.

been using Discord since last year, mainly on Simracing servers. but really its a pain to find information or follow-up on questions you ask.
    unless you create specific threads or the mod does for you if you don't have correct rights.
    much prefer to be over here TBH, but to each his own

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. GFoyle

GFoyle Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Both have their benefits and disadvantages, but after using discord more and more in past years, I feel it's more "modern" solution and great for having some chats / interesting discussions and also more light hearted stuff. Forums preserve info better, but also at the same time preserve a lot of casual and unnecessary posts and outdated info/opinions.

These days dicords have a lot good features, like starting a thread out of any comment, possibility of have forum-like channels etc.

I would rather have both, even knowing other would definitely quiet down a lot as a result.

ps. there is discord for reiza, but it's been mainly for some beta testing stuff. I assume they want to keep using forum for the time being..

13. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The only issue with the forum is perhaps the dated ui, but the rF2 and r3e forums look exactly the same

• Agree Agree x 1