Does fuel mapping do anything currently?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Oleg Kaban, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Oleg Kaban

Oleg Kaban New Member

Hi, sorry if this sounds stupid or maybe it is some widely known "in-progress" feature, I couldn't find proper information through forum search.

I was cruising around Spielberg in F1 Ultimate Gen 1 & 2 very much in the last couple of weeks, to the point where my laptime became really consistent (not more than +-0.2 deviation over the course of many laps) with tire deg and fuel consumption off. And then I decided to look what happens to my laptime when I change rich mixture to lean, and to my surprise I couldn't find that much difference to laptimes, not more than a margin of error.

So yeah, I can maintain almost the same laptime on different fuel maps it seems, so I thought is this feature completed? Maybe not all classes implement it properly or anything. I also thought maybe I was not paying attention to something else, or I wasn't pushing hard enough to notice, but logically the difference in pace should still be noticable, even if I'm not fastest driver, I became consistent enough to see. I also rechecked laptimes with fuel consumption on, just in case. Still no noticable difference.

Also just today after setting 20-something laps with the track in "medium rubber state", I changed it to "Green", and next 5 laps also were pretty much the same laptime as in medium rubber state. I most certainly don't know something about something, because there should be difference right? I thought it would be halves and whole seconds between different fuel mapping modes and track states.
    Any input on this is appreciated, thanks.

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Try different track states and turn on fuel consumption. That can help

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Pace improves with fuel consumption and gets worse with tire degradation. Perhaps one effect masked the other? Not sure about fuel maps though, never tested them, I usually save fuel by lifting. Sadly I'm not at home until next Monday. I'll do a test on Monday to see how it behaves for me.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't help you on the "green-ness" of the track, but AFAIK, the AMS2 implementation of engine maps is the intended behavior.

The actual implementation is that the fuel mixture setting doesn't actually change the fuel mixture at all. The setting actually controls a throttle mapping. At the full rich UI setting, applying 100% input with your gas pedal means that the car actually applies 100% throttle. At the medium setting, 100% input means the car applies 90% throttle. At the lean setting, 100% input equals 80% throttle.

Throttle positions other than "wide open" are also scaled according to the fuel mixture UI setting.

The idea of this is that it's a simple way to simulate "richer fuel mixture = car goes faster and burns fuel faster."

I'm not aware of any plans to change this implementation of fuel mixtures.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Oleg Kaban

Oleg Kaban New Member

Didn't think of it that way! You just pushed me to find out, thanks)

That's a GREAT input, thanks. The functionality you described should probably be seen in UI, idk, gotta check.
    I've been away from rig, soon gotta come back and continue my observations, as all replies here state that the functionality is there. So that's on me to notice it properly. Hey everyone, thanks for the input!