Engineer...

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by TexasSpecial, Jul 5, 2022.

1. TexasSpecial

TexasSpecial Member

Why do I as a driver need to actually adjust the setup of the car?
    What I mean is, why is there not a mode that simulates a typical race team operation where the driver reports to the engineer during testing what the car is doing, and the crew makes the adjustments to the car.

I know some teams do have mechanic drivers of course, but deciding exactly what the air pressure should be in a tyre is not usually on the driver.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy tinkering, but sometimes I just want to race and not have to tinker with the setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Why do you feel the need, if you just want to race?
    There is no need, most cars have a kind of usable default setup now.
    You can try to adapt your driving to the setup.

There are some spreadsheets around containing some common problems and their solution. (Google "setup chart")
    I don't know if the setup tools available on steam are any good, but i suppose they work the same way.
    But you always have to adjust the settings yourself
    (Why?, Because the game engine works that way)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  3. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

race pace and strategy isnt the drivers choice either.
    if u want to boil it down to reality, your whole family needs to play the game in order for you to function like a real f1 team, all u would do is drive and listen to orders.

and if its super realistic u might even need to make way for your teammate to pass u last lap just for him to get more points (even if he is just an AI XD)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TexasSpecial

TexasSpecial Member

Fair enough... I would also concede that an event would also need full time practice to tweak the car. again, if we are after the full racing experience. then why not have a multirole game.

If anyone noted there is a Racing Management game out as well, so leave the management to those that want to manage. You could even link online playing together for esports where the team principle is also an online person, not driving but providing strategy, calling pit stops.

5. TexasSpecial

TexasSpecial Member

I understand the car is usable, but it wont likely win without someone doing a proper setup.
    the driver adjust brake bias, and roll bar if possible. But as the other post pointed out, fuel map and such is dictated by the management.

6. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What setup could the engineer give you that is better than the default though? It would have to fit the combination of your driving style, the track, the car and the weather. Given the amount of cars and tracks/layouts in the game, that'd be a massive amount of premade setups to create, and then there are all the different driver skill levels. The driver skill also varies by car, track and weather.

The alternative to pre-made setups would be some sort of a dialog box where you tell the engineer predetermined things like "The car is unstable in a straight line" or "The car oversteers out of corners" and it does some adjustments based on that.

This would have to work for every car and situation, for example cars that don't allow certain adjustments or where you've already hit the limit of what can be done with certain parts. They would also have to be changes that don't compromise other areas of driving. Playing setup whack-a-mole with the engineer might prove as time-consuming or annoying as making setups.

The feature would definitely be cool for people who don't want to fiddle with the numbers and I have nothing against it, but a good implementation might be a pretty big development undertaking. Not that I'm a developer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

op is refering to "talking to an engineer"

pcars 2 actually had an engineer that u would talk to and answer questions, and he would adjust the setup for you.

eg "oversteer mid turn" "oversteer corner exit" etc and depending what u clicked he suggested what u can do to maybe fix the problem

so he doesnt give u a premade setup, but makes setting up the car, without background knowledge alot easier (to get into atleast)

timestamp 3:21

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Seeing the feature in the video I think I've actually tried it ages ago. Being able to port it over from PC2 would probably help with the development, but I feel like it'd still be a pretty big time commitment. (And I have no idea if they have access to it.)

9. TexasSpecial

TexasSpecial Member

Thats it. I will have to give this a try in PC2 for fun.

10. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

Okay, so this is just a thought that occurred to me and maybe I'm missing something, but the game specifically says that the AI is able to adjust their setup at a strength setting of 80 and above, right? What exactly does this mean? Does the AI merely adjust their gear ratios - if possible in a given car - and fuel load? Or is it able to adjust other, more advanced things as well?

Because if there is actually functionality in the sim to adjust setups on a per-track basis for any given car - could the player possibly get access to such a feature as well? Maybe something like a "suggest setup" button or something along those lines.

It's probably nowhere near as advanced as that, but I have actually been wondering about this feature for a while. I guess something along those lines could potentially make life more comfortable for a lot of players.

(Then again the AI is running a simpler tire model compared to human players, so I have no idea if the setups would even work.)

• Like Like x 2
  11. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

PC2 had this feature, and it was great, at a clean hands level.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. TexasSpecial

TexasSpecial Member

Great point and Idea!

• Informative Informative x 1