F USA Gen 1 and 2 - Fragile gearboxes

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by SigmaIV, Oct 29, 2022.

1. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

Hi all,

My absolute favorite thing in all of simracing is the AMS2 Indycar 95/98 @ Road America combo.
    Buuuuuut....

I was never able to complete a full race (either 45 or 55 laps), as I systematicaaly had to retire with a fried gearbox.

It always goes down the same way : by lap 40-50, 2nd gear packs up. I can select it, but it's like I'm in neutral. By that point, I know I won't be able to complete more than 4 laps.

I've driven both aggresively and conservatively from race to race, but it always end up the same.

Turbo is set at 100%. Been reading a thread where people mentioned that it causes engine failures. Crew Chief tells me, usually by mid-race, that "the engine is souding rough". But engine being damaged and gearbox seizing seem to be different things.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Are you downshifting with throttle blips or without?

3. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

No, I'm not.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  4. CrimsonEminence

There is no throttle blip driving aid. only autoclutch. I'm not sure right now if it also autoblips (enough) for the sequential of the F-USA cars.

It's worth to at least blip for downshifts manually to see if the issue re-occurs i'd say.

Side note - The high engine damage is normal for these cars btw., they're degrading quite quickly. They used an engine per session, something almost not imaginable in todays times anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  5. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

Yes, I edited my post after checking the driving aids list and realizing there's no auto blip.
    But, with how fast Indycars downshift, bliping is a bit of a task, isn't it?
    I was already following the series back then, and I'm not sure drivers were doing it.

And yeah, the one engine per session, with like 4x more mechanical failures per race compared to today... Those were crazy days.

But it doesn't seem like the AI is affected much by mechanical failures. In fact, they usually all finish the race.

6. CrimsonEminence

Have you "random failures" on? It's in fact not so "random" because the likelyhood of these failures is based on the stress and wear of components. (Advanced Mechanical Damage Modelling feature).

There is conflicting information about autoblip for the older 95 and 98 season cars. We decided to go with manual blips. It doesn't require too strong blips. Upshifts definitely have auto-cutoff though so no need to lift for upshifts.

7. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

Yes, random failures are on.
    I'll disable them, but keep regular mechanical damage.

8. CrimsonEminence

I recommed to leave it on. (Or AI failures become less likely actually).

Gearbox damage will also happen without AMDM and is a normal feature of the driveline with mechanical failures on.

We'll keep track of this issue to see if gearboxes of these cars need to have more damage tolerance added!

• Like Like x 1
  9. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

Thanks for the help!

I'll run a few more long races on different tracks with USA gen 1 and 2 and report back here, OK?

10. CrimsonEminence

If you want to yeah. Thanks!

11. Maddin71287

Maddin71287 Member

Hi guys!

in the past i got the same Problem with fusa gen1.

Until forum member „OEZ“ told me that i have to blip while downshifting.

Now i am able to do 90 minutes races without gear Problems.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

Very interesting. I started bliping during my last couple of full-length races, but I was never able to complete onz due to crashes or because I set the AI level too low.

But still, Crew Chief was telling me that the engine was sounding rough after just 30 laps of Laguna Seca with turbo boost pressure set at just 85%. As I was running away with the lead, I wasn't pushing at all.

Now, I understand that CC's can be too easily triggered by normal engine degradation, and this has little to do with the gearbox going on strike.

I'll give it another go soon.

13. CrimsonEminence

You may check the engine damage percentage in HUD, when CC starts complaining. I think, mine complains already at the 30 or 40% mark (which isn't an abnormal number for the single session engine classes in AMS2 though)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

Thanks for the info, I will check that out.

15. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

Just remembered something I've been wanting to ask for a long time :
    What about in-car turbo boost pressure asjustments?
    They were a thing back then, and with AMS2 offering a large range of in car adjustements, I wonder if there's a reason for the lack of it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SigmaIV

SigmaIV New Member

So, after a few more long races where I introduced downshift blipping, nothing has changed.

Couldn't even do 40 laps at Laguna Seca on my last try. This time, it was the 3rd gear that went away.

Also, the AI seems to have a low rate of mechanical DNF compared to what was going on back then. It's usually me + 1 or 2 guys who retire.

• Like Like x 1