Fastest to Slowest GT3 gen 2 cars?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jeff Scharpf, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Jeff Scharpf

Jeff Scharpf Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Does anyone know what the fastest and slowest cars are in GT3 gen2? I mean, given that I am an average racer at best, I'm trying find which of the cars I should drive lol..
    When I look at the stats, the BMW seems to have the highest HP to Weight ratio, yet it seems slower (or there is a good chance it's me).
    I see the Porsche usually out in front.
    I'm just wondering if anyone has done testing ..apples to apples on any one track to see where these cars rank in relation to each other.

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Lap time or top speed? I assume the BMW is the fastest since it has the record at Le Mans

3. Jeff Scharpf

Good question. I don't really know. I seem to do better against the AI in the GT3 gen2 cars if I drive the Porsche than if I drive the BMW. I've tried two tracks, Daytona which has some long sections, and Laguna Seca.. So I guess I'm talking lap times.. It must be me.. At 95% and high aggression, I can lap somewhere in the middle of the pack, so I guess I'm ok.

4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Porsche, Macca kill you on the straights. Merc wins when a track has lots of corners. BMW no idea yet.

5. Jeff Scharpf

Thank you Marius. I've never driven the McClaren (assuming that's what Macca is?). perhaps I'll give that a try.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

From my time testing them, though that was a couple of beta updates ago, here where my "results"
    1.Porsche
    2.BMW
    3.McLaren
    3.Mercedes

But they where all within 8 tenths of each other, while monitoring the AI, it was mostly the Porsches and BMW's in front.

7. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Which track(s)?

8. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Honestly I would say whichever you feel most in control of. If you're not fighting the car you'll be faster and the difference will be greater than the gap in performance.

Even though I am a huge fan of the 911s I think the gen2 macca is in a really good spot overall. You point it in a direction it goes there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jeff Scharpf

Thanks everyone! I love the sound of the Porsche, but I just had to try the BMW in a season, so I am starting an "IMSA 2024 Worldwide Championship" .. with a mix of all tracks.. 25 races in total (my mix) starting at Daytona :)
    I don't have a lot of time so I set the 24 hour races to 2 hours with a 10X time accel to see night/day, and all of the other races will be 1 hour each.
    I set fuel use and tire wear to 2X, just to get a few pit stops in each race..
    And I'm biased towards Road America and Laguna Seca, so we go to those tracks twice lol.. once in the Spring and once in the late summer / early fall.
    I have three "24 hour" races (2 hours actual).. Daytona in January, Lemans in June, and Spa in July.
    I think I've pretty much hit a track on each continent :0...
    25 races total..
    I'll be racing three classes, LMDh, GT3 gen 2, and GT4... I'm limited to 27 cars but that's ok, I do 9 of each class and use the top 6 points option..
    As I said I'll be driving the BMW for this season... Hope to get about one race in every week if I can..
    Real weather is on so we'll see if I ever catch up to the current date haha.

10. olilem

olilem New Member

I run a GT3gen2 LMDh League serie where most of our racers have done a lot of testing to choose their car, and all GT3's besides the Merc seem very competitive. The Mclaren tops most leaderboards, followed by the BMW/Porsche, but a fast driver will be competitive in each.
    The Merc seems to not be competitive as far as I see. Its about a full second slower than any of the other GT3's from our drivers. If you're racing AI it probably doesn't matter as much, but for a competitive league it does not seem viable.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    • Useful Useful x 2