FFB Profile Poll. Default vs Customs

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Theoloop, May 17, 2024.

?

Do you use Default or Custom FFB profiles?

Poll closed May 31, 2024.
  1. Default, I have tried customs but prefer Default or Default+.

40.2%
  2. Customs, I have tried defaults but prefer Customs.

42.5%
  3. Default, I have NEVER tried Customs.

12.6%
  4. Customs, I immediatly went to customs and did not set up defaults.

4.6%
  5. N/A, Controller/See Results

0.0%
  1. Theoloop

Theoloop Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello everyone, I wanted to see if we can get some numbers on who uses what style of FFB profile as a whole.

When voting please consider “default” as also including the “default+” profiles as well.

Thank You!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

To qualify my choice for option 1:
    I've tried and used many custom ffb-files, especially during early AMS2 development. I even spent time learning and altering some files myself to see what is possible. The shear range of ffb-effects on offer in AMS2 is truly amazing.

As AMS2 and the FFB default presets developed, so did my preferences in FFB. Over time, those things converged and now I find I'm quite happy to use either Default or Default+ preset.

In any case, I think it's good to try different ffb options and learn what is possible but do so gradually enough to become acclimated to the ffb in use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Xzanman

Xzanman Active Member

Would have been interesting to see what the difference is on how many people using default and default+.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. TacticalNuclearPingu

TacticalNuclearPingu Active Member AMS2 Club Member

When I had a Thurstmaster TMX, Default+ was all I used and it was very good.

When I upgraded to a Simagic Alpha Mini, Default+ and Default simply were massively over blown for my tastes with the different wheel base.

I suspect that most DD users end up with the customs (KukuMadDog, r****tor or DanielKart mainly) because of this. As DDs penetrate the community and propagate, I wonder if there is the need to a “DD style” default FFB profile to be added, not dissimilar to how Default+ was successfully added and enhanced a lot of users’ experiences

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Gabriel "Pai" Legnini

Gabriel "Pai" Legnini Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Since I tried customs that I like, defaults always felt worse on my end. From time to time I give them a go , but always end returning to customs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chonk

chonk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Still undecided between Default and Default+, up until very recently I was running JP's v12, before that usually a slightly tweaked version of one of Karsten's file.

Now that I'm beta testing it makes more sense to stick with the defaults, one less variable to think about when comparing notes but also the default profiles are fantastic.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Dean Ogurek

In regard to detail:
    Default: FX at 100%.
    Default+: FX at 35 - 50%

With DD-wheels, I suspect one reason why many users consider the details to be overwhelming may be due to a lower level of Damping. I certainly went through a phase where I preferred very fast wheel response with little weightiness. This is certainly better for Drifting purposes.

These days, I prefer a more moderate response rate with a good amount of weight to better replicate real life steering-systems mass and friction properties. With that and a bit of smoothening (Recon Filter in TrueDrive), more FX are useful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Siggi_Stoppschild

Siggi_Stoppschild Active Member

I use the latest V900 custom file from @Danielkart
    It feels excellent on my Moza R9 base & it does not have the floaty/ weightless feeling at low steering angles like the default ffb profiles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Shark

Shark New Member

I believe we have similar experience and preferences. I appreciate and respect the number of custom profiles out there and their authors, but keep coming back to default a majority of the time and default+ for a few of the classes. Our settings are very similar, default with high FX and 40-50 on damper, default+ with 50ish on FX and the same on damper. As far as customs go, I think my preference would be the "pure rack force" or similarly named custom that has been floating around for some time now. Some of the popular customs like rfuktor, dkart, alegunner, etc. all have some aspects I love, but plenty of areas I do not. Such is life.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rocco Thamm

Rocco Thamm Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Driving competitively on the lesser known "Nu Scorpii" V2.5 for at least two years now. It worked throughout all AMS2 versions and I simply feel at home with it. Its a pretty small file, which is not prone to lags...as I found out the bigger the file, the heavier its on the system!

11. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Regardless of this survey and how this survey ends, it shows once again how different people's tastes and preferences are.What is the holy grail for one person is just rubbish for another.And exactly the same thing can be seen with the different simulations.

"Tactical NuclearPingu" said something crucial and important.Time has changed with dds and they have now become mass-produced and affordable for everyone.The developers should start there and adapt it accordingly, regardless of whether it is for older simulations (if still supported) or for newer ones or those that are still to come

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Dean Ogurek

Yeah, and are always going to be cases where some of us are willing to tinker in the FFB toolbox while many others just want to press the "Easy" button for instant FFB.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Yes, that's it Dean.Of course there are people who want to drive straight away without any settings and without testing and they expect the best feeling straight away.But the people who deal with it (with FFB, with their base, with their hardware) will, in my opinion, always have a better experience because they can tailor it more precisely and individually and exactly to their needs, and I'm very grateful to Reiza for thatthere is this possibility

• Agree Agree x 1