Formula Junior "Jumping/Axle-Locking" Physics Bug

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by DavidGossett, Sep 27, 2023.

1. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The "Last & Luxurious" Discord has been running a Tuesday night Formula Junior league for about a month, and we've stumbled onto a strange bug with the FJ that has ruined quite a few people's races.

Most of our members have reported the car jumping/getting bumped at random without any warning or input. This can happen on straights, in corners, under acceleration out of corners, etc. Sometimes this will appear as the rear axle fully locking for an instant and the car jumping, or it can be either the front or rear will unexpectedly hop. It feels as if there's a large pot-hole in the track that will randomly appear and only one driver will be affected at a time, or sometimes (as in my case at Brands Hatch on the exit of Druids) it's as if someone pulled a handbrake while in 2nd gear and under acceleration.

The only time I've seen something similar to this bug before was with the PC2 Modding Team Nissan Silvia, which would randomly suffer axle-hopping at low speeds.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I‘ve experienced something similar shortly after F-Junior was added to the game. It happened under braking and it felt like someone drove into me. Never happened again, though. Not sure if we‘re talking about the same issue but it felt like someone crashed into my car.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's not only the F-Junior, I've experienced the same in F-Vintage G1
    Because this behavior is so hard to reproduce reliably, it doesn't surprise me that it hasn't been fixed yet.

4. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

I think I may have had this bug on Donington National. Somewhere between turns 5 and 7. As others have said it was like I'd hit something.

It might not be easy to reproduce as it's happened only once or twice in around 1200 km in the FJ.

5. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This happens to me randomly though rare. You feel a big hit as if the car bottoms out suddenly and violently. Scares the ****e out of me when it happens. Have felt it in the Juniors, F-Vintages and F-Retro G1.

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

That's the core difficulty. The issue is known and there is an eye on that, but it's very random to reproduce it which is poison for debug. But there are hunches where to look at least!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1