Grass. I just don't understand it. Help.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Squirrel_SA, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Squirrel_SA

Squirrel_SA New Member

I'm new to AMS2 from ACC/AC mostly - some experience in iRacing. I've discovered AMS2 because I switched to VR from single screen last month and AMS2 does VR really well (it's crazy how good it is in VR). Like all sims, it has its own physics and driving quirks, which I'm fine with but I don't understand the grass. Gravel seems fine, but when I got off track on grass in AMS2 compared to other sims, I'm basically out of the race. Even on dry days, the grass is SO SLIPPERY - it's worse than iRacing 2 years ago. It's entirely possible this is a skill issue - am I missing something? In AC/ACC, if I end up in the grass, I usually get out in a couple of seconds with low throttle in 2nd gear. iRacing is even better now; you can feather the throttle to get the nose around and then low throttle out to the tarmac. In AMS2 it's like being on ice. How do I manage grass?

e; yes not going in the grass has occurred to me. Alas that's not a 100% solution just yet :p

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 7
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Can you name a track which this happens?

3. Squirrel_SA

Squirrel_SA New Member

Been on several tracks but the two that happened recently were on Brands Hatch in the FWD Mini when I overcooked it into both Hawthorn and Westfield and also on SPA in GT4s running wide on 8, or 12 - 14. That's just in the last couple laps I've done, I've also had grass issues on the Nordschliefe and elsewhere. In a variety of cars. It's mostly when I run wide and end up in grass it takes like 8 - 10 seconds to get out vs. 3 - 4 in other sims. I'm just struggling with how the grass in AMS2 works I guess. I'm ok with it being a skill issue, just a bummer to go from P3 to P11 cause I can't get back on track in <11s.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

the solution is easy, use the "reset car back on track" button.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  5. Squirrel_SA

Squirrel_SA New Member

Oh, I kind of hate that. I want to drive the car if possible. Is the grass so bad the solution is video game reset?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Inkta

Inkta Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In my experience the grass is very slippery in AMS2, but I don't think it's impossible to get out of.. just drive carefully over it

• Agree Agree x 11
  7. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, the grass is very slippery but if you let your car roll and only give tiny steering inputs it's alright. If you come to a stand you have to be very gentle on the throttle.
    It's not that difficult to get back on track if you are careful. Don't be in a hurry and take your time. ;-)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep I also I find it very slippery when comparing to other titles, as above the trick is to go slow which is of course the last thing you want to do in a race but patience is key.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

This was already the case in Pcars2. It still is slippery but I don’t know if this should not be the case. Perhaps the other games do have it wrong. I never drove my car into a grassy surface with more than 150km p/h. So I can tell if it feels unrealistic in AMS. And my car only has 96 brake horsepower as well. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

In RL, dry grass can be somewhat grippy to ice-like when very wet. If the soil moisture content is high, very slight tire slippage will only exacerbate the loss of traction.

"Easy does it" applies when on grass in either case. I think AMS2 models this pretty well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lucifer_sam

Lucifer_sam Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Completely agreed. It's certainly not forgiving, but so long as I'm careful with the throttle and don't make erratic steering movements I get away with it without crashing more often than not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bealdor

Bealdor Member

From what I remember from the PCARS 2/WMD days, slicks are having a hard time on grass and are extremely slippery.

13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

We're using slicks, grass is soft and slidey. Pull some out of the ground and pull it through your fingers it's so smooth. Dry grass, wet grass, dead grass.. If you're going fast or from stand still with slicks etc ofcourse you're slip or doing donuts. Most cars are RWD and then grass is your archnemesis too. I tried driving on grass irl too and it's slippery. Keep in mind road cars aren't setup or have the power of race cars. I might believe AMS2 has grass nicely dialed in. I would only see gravel being real gravel traps, tho.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Alistair McKinley

Watch from 07:35 to 8:10. The Bentley had some problems on the grass.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

Even IRL and with street tires grass IS slippery...
    Believe me, i do have experience with grass, mosty unwanted *lol*

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. muzarati

muzarati Member

Totally agree, the grass is way too slippery! I hate it, one of the worst issues in AMS2 IMO! It's equivalent to driving on ice!

17. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I had issues with the grass in AMS2 but have gotten used to it. You have to be very gentle with your inputs, both throttle and steering, it's pretty controllable once you get use to it, not easy but nothing like the grass in Iracing of old.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. muzarati

muzarati Member

yeah, if you're lucky and running straight, you may be able to get it back but if you have any sort of attitude on the car, its game over! Then the worst bit is trying to get back onto the track, definitely game over then...literally! Crap! :(

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Alistair McKinley

Just made a video - I don't consider grass in AMS 2 too slippery:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. muzarati

muzarati Member

Proves there is no difference between wet or dry conditions, grass has the grip level of wet conditions permanently! Thanks for confirm what we already know though

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1