Help a noobie - I'm breaking the gearbox when I spin. What I'm doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renan G Flores, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Renan G Flores

Renan G Flores Active Member

Hello.
    I know this might be I dumb question, but here it is: sometimes, when I totally lose control of the car, I'm breaking the gearbox and I dunno why exactly.

Let's say I'm exiting a corner at 3rd or 4th gear. I accelerate too much and spin like an idiot. Sometimes I can control it, but most of times I end up going backwards, victim of both the inertia and my stupidity. My instinctive behaviour is to press both the brake to stop and the clutch, so I won't stall the engine.
    When I go back to track no matter how much I press the gas pedal the revs go all the way up and I can't pass 30 km/h or so, no matter if I change the gears. I go back to the pits, do the repairs and I'm fine again.

So, what am I doing wrong?
    I suspect it's because I'm pressing the clutch while going backwards.
    And what's the correct behaviour when I lose control? Just use the steering wheel and the brakes so I don't go back to the track and cause an accident? Just let the engine stall to prevent the gearbox from breaking?

Again, I apologize for the dumb question but I never really drove anything else than road cars on road speed limits.
    Thanks in advance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Seems like you're burning the clutch.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Sounds like the clutch slipping to me as well. I also always reflexively declutch when I spin, but I never have an issue afterwards. As long as you fully declutch it shouldn't be an issue.

I'd suggest to make sure your clutch pedal goes all the way when you press down on it. You can see the pedal traces on the telemetry HUD, and maybe recalibrate your pedals if necessary.

Could also be you damage the clutch when starting the car again after the spin, if you let the clutch slip too long it takes damage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

[QUOTE="Gevatter, ]

Could also be you damage the clutch when starting the car again after the spin, if you let the clutch slip too long it takes damage.[/QUOTE]

As you Said.... I think this is the main reason of the observed behavior, especially with GT3 and F1 where Clutch are weak by design to save weight and inertia.
    I guess the problem doesn't occur with more classics cars isn't ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Renan G Flores

Renan G Flores Active Member

As you Said.... I think this is the main reason of the observed behavior, especially with GT3 and F1 where Clutch are weak by design to save weight and inertia.
    I guess the problem doesn't occur with more classics cars isn't ?[/QUOTE]

Well, actually it happened to me twice with the new Mini Cooper. But you're right, I had this kind of problem with CART, F1 22 and GT3.
    I never really played with sequential gearbox before. GT3, Porsche Cup, Stoc Car. I'm an old dude and I like the old stuff, especially the 70s and 80s. Thing is I broke my H-shifter (G27) some weeks ago and now I'm playing only with sequential gearbox cars.

I'll see if I can recreate and record this behaviour so you guys can understand better what I'm saying.

6. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

We are on the same boat .. i m an old fart as well and like to drive manual. The M1 and the 911 rsr are my two favorites in this game... The BMW 2002 turbo is funy Got some fun as well with all the old brazilian classes.

I had the g25 before and went to a th8a gear box with a mod to have a more notchy feeling and like it well. Using it in H pattern exclusivly

7. JKangSC

JKangSC New Member

Had the same issue when trying a standing-still start in 2nd gear using Formula Trainer.