Is an AMD GPU any good for AMS2?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by David Vickery, Nov 28, 2022.

1. David Vickery

David Vickery Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all,
    I'm hoping to upgrade my PC soon. I've normally gone with NVidia cards (currently a 980), but they seem to have royally messed up the release of 4000 series cards. I was hoping to get an end of line 3080Ti but they've disappeared in the UK. 4080 cards are too expensive so I'm left wondering whether to wait for a 4070 or if AMD cards are offering better value for money.
    I don't play any games except racing sims, and almost exclusively AMS2.
    Any advice is gladly received.
    Thanks.

2. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a all AMD system, and I have no issues. Just make sure you have enough ram because AMD anything likes the fastest duel channel memory you can get.
    I've got a...
    AMD Ryzen 5600G
    AMD Radeon™ RX 6600XT
    And can play flat screem at Max settings easily at 60FPS and can play VR mostly Medium-Low settings with the resolution turned up a bit.

I think if your goal is maxing out VR, the Nvidia cards might be worth seeking out though, but for every other situation the AMD cards are just fine,

3. David Vickery

David Vickery Member AMS2 Club Member

That's good to know. Not trying to max out VR. I do have triple 1080p currently but would like to be able to upgrade to triple 1440p at some point and ideally max out the settings

4. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The new new GPU's from AMD (7900XT and 7900XTX) are said to be fast, but lack in Raytracing performance. Will AMS2 appear darker without raytracing? And without raytracing the card will produce more fps?

5. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've run AMD cards for years, mainly for the bang for buck you get. On the whole, they are perfectly fine for most scenarios including VR and AMS2.
    Edge cases, where the top 1% of users want the absolute ultimate performance regardless of cost, and it's a valid position if you have the funds, then Nvidia is still better.
    The main issue i have come across always with AMD, is the drivers are very hit and miss, with some being rock solid, followed by 2 or 3 that are highly unstable and need constant roll backs with worse case intermittent CTD issues.

6. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

AMS2 doesn't have raytracing support.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1