Isle of Man - Laser Scan - KickStarter @ 5%

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by storris, May 16, 2016.

1. storris

storris New Member

Afternoon AMS'ers,

You don't know me, I'm not from around here and I probably wont be around much other than to monitor this thread, to ask for your support, and to update the stats that I'll be posting below.

As you can tell from the thread title, I'm currently in the middle of funding a project to have the Isle of Man's Snaefell Mountain Course laser-scanned. Why? Because it needs to be in-game somewhere other than in a 12-year-old PS2 motorcycle racing game.

"That's obvious" you say, so why not let Kylotonn do the job as they've announced?

Well, we will. We cannot stop them, and indeed as my personal objective is to get this track onto as many platforms as possible, 'Ride on the Edge' will be welcomed whole-heartedly. But the track wont be available for official release in the 4 wheel sims, such as Automobilista, pCars, AC etc... that you & I are driving.

It will almost certainly be ported, as a community mod at some point, but there will be no official races or championships, no on-line leader boards, none of the features that the big sims give to us. So this is where we come in.

Our laser scan will be distributed publicly & freely to anyone that wants it, hosted on accessible platforms for downloads, with complete copies supplied to anyone that provides shipping & media costs.

I have started similar threads to this one at several other forums, linked below, and hope that this one can be as active as those, and that AMS drives can see the benefit of supporting this project. Please read those threads, as I'm sure that the many questions about to be asked will have already been answered in some way, but of course please do ask anything further here. I'll leave thi info here for 7 days, after which I hope this thread will be populated with QA needed to familiarise readers with the project.

After that time, I will concentrate on providing updates to how our campaign is going. In the meantime I ask you to click on the links in my signature, to support the project, and to engage with AMS developers to have this track included on your platform.

Regards,
    Stephen Morris

forum.projectcarsgame.com - 21 - 45.42%
    members.iracing.com - 7 - 18.63%
    assettocorsa.net - 5 - 7.84%
    reddit.com - 2 - 6.54%
    twitter.com - 1 - 4.90%
    manxforums.com - 1 - 3.27%
    forum.piboso.com - 1 - 1.63%

External - 6 - 9.31%
    Embedded widget (!?!) - 1 - 1.63%
    Kickstarter - 1 - 0.82%
    Assetto Corsa - http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/isle-of-man-3d-scan-kickstarter-3.31996/
    PiBoSo (GP-Bikes.com) - Isle Of Man
    rFactor - Isle of Man - 3D Track Scan - Kickstarter @ 5%
    RaceDepartment - Would you be interested in a Laser Scanned Isle of Man TT?
    SRMZ - Mountain Course - Crowd Funded Scan - Expression Of Interest - I Wanna talk about other Sims or Games

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  2. REM1976

REM1976 BANNED BANNED AMS2 Club Member

You keep quoting £9,850 but that excludes VAT of 20%. The actual cost of the scan is £11,820

3. Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well good luck with that o_O

4. REM1976

ignore

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  5. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not a hair on my head thinking about spending money on this

6. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief AMS2 Club Member

Hi Stephen,

Please send me a PM at RaceDepartment if you don't mind mate. I'd like to speak with you about this...

Thanks

Paul

7. storris

storris New Member

REM1976,

Thanks for the maths lesson REM, go read the Kickstarter - Isle of Man - Snaefell Mountain Course - 3D Laser Scan

Paul Bennett & SaxOhare,

Is there anything that I could do or information I could provide to help change your minds?

Paul Jeffrey,

PM sent on RD.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett Active Member AMS2 Club Member

9. REM1976

You just changed the description after I pointed out your mistake. No need for the sneering reply. You should be thanking me, instead of sniping.

10. storris

storris New Member

REM: I hadn't noticed your post until I signed in yesterday. The KS was updated on the 18th in response to a keen-eyed observer with the same initials as you. That person was thanked, and if it was you, then thanks again. You can see this happening as live in the comments on iomlaserscan.com The sneer you perceive might be related more to your second post, but I may have taken that out of context.

On price; the quote for the scan, the price of the scan, is £9,850. Doing business within the boundaries of the UK and on the Kickstarter platform introduce associated costs. Related and relevant for sure, but still not the price of the scan. The outcome of all this is that the amount of money we need to raise to finance this project has not changed.

Last edited: May 27, 2016