JCW Mini Tyre Pressures

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by andy_east123, Feb 26, 2024.

1. andy_east123

andy_east123 Member

Hello,
    I have a question about the minimum available tyre pressure available to us in the JCW Mini Challenge.

Currently, we are not able to reduce our tyre pressure below 2.50bar, which is around 36.3psi.

However, the real-life Mini Challenge regs seem to allow pressure considerably lower than this. I am referencing the draft copy of the 2024 technical regs for the class off their official website, page 32, section 5.6.3.

"Ride heights will be checked at the tyre pressures as they are sat in Parc Ferme with a minimum pressure of 25 PSI as checked/set by Goodyear. If pressures are less than 25 PSI competitors will be allowed to add air to increase pressure to 25 PSI as checked/set by Goodyear"

For ref, 25psi is 1.72bar.

I do not see any other reference to "Pressure" within the same document.

With the current tyre model in the game, I am finding that I am running constantly on the minimum allowed pressure, and in most cases this produces a fairly even spread of IMO temps and so does not necessarily affect performance in a lot of cases. However, there are times when I would like to run/experiment with a lower pressure but am not able to.

So, the questions I have are.

1) Is there a reason why the lower limit is at 2.5bar? A legacy of previous technical regs, maybe?
    2) Are you able to reduce this lower limit without causing a whole heap of work and complication?

It's not a ball-buster, by any stretch, but opening up the lower window of pressure availability to the user would be welcomed, if only occasionally required.

As ever, a big thanks to all the efforts of all those responsible for producing this game.

Andy

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. Alwin Papegaaij

Alwin Papegaaij Active Member

Haven't checked in the latest build, but this high minimum pressure makes the wet tyres completely useless as you will be driving on balloons after a lap or so.
    Reported it already a year and a half ago, and two or three times since then. The AI does seem to have lower pressures in their tyres as you won't have the same grip as they have.

But yeah, kinda sucks as (for me) this makes that I don't drive this car anymore whilst I really liked it

3. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Me too don't drive this car anymore whilst I like it but the reason is the garage setup options are mostly grayed. Waiting for the day they will be present.

4. andy_east123

andy_east123 Member

Wet weather performance would most likely be the biggest benefactor if this change could be made, yes. In dry conditions it’s a manageable situation in all but a few rare scenarios, I would say, which is why it’s not a ball buster outside of wet running.

As far as available set up adjustments go, one of the things that keeps me on this car is the quest to squeeze more out of less. You also reach a point and have no option but to look within if you want to improve the times any further, and I find that process mildly addictive and very enjoyable.
    There’s more than enough adjustments available to find an advantage on other players and make the car your own, but not so many that you can’t back out of the rabbit hole if you go the wrong direction in your experimentation.

All the best
    Andy

5. andy_east123

andy_east123 Member

Though having said that, there is one adjustment that appears greyed out when the car selection spec suggests it should be active, and that’s the boost adjustment, but it’s the same for everyone and it’s not something I find myself longing for

6. newtonpg

Just to reinforce my opinion, this and ANY other car with many grayed options aren't for me. If "all" cars in AMS2 were this type I, for shure, would be running another title.

Of course I can accept other opinions, I'm just stating mine.
    What is unacceptable for one could be very satisfactory to the others, and I will not discuss that.

7. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Well they choose to grey out some stuff depending on the real car

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. newtonpg

Nothing to complain if this is the case but I'm too lazy to verify.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. andy_east123

andy_east123 Member

As with most things, it’s horses for courses, isn’t it

For some this will feel restrictive, for others it will encourage ingenuity and keep the grey cells ticking over for just a little bit longer . Neither is right, neither is wrong

As racinglegend has suggested, I would not be surprised if the real life series had the adjustability buttoned down to this same level.
    It may well also be that a different tyre supplier was active at the time the setup parameters were put in place within the game, and the 2.5bar lower limit may have been accurate at that time.

• Agree Agree x 1