Laptime differences Race / TimeTrial

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by herakles, Jul 23, 2023.

1. herakles

herakles Member

Hi everyone!

I just did a 50 laps race at Laguna Seca, and it was a ton lot of fun! This game is just great.

I managed to do laptimes around 1:14, while my best TimeTrial times are around 1:11, although I use the same setup. Why is this?

Thanks for any hints!
    Herakles

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Could be different live track settings

3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Time trial has a lot of rubber on the track indeed, optimal conditions and you run locked to 5L of fuel - so the cars can be substantially quicker than in a race session with livetrack preset on lower rubber settings and hot weather etc. for example.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

So even if the TT setup does show 50L fuel then the car does only carry 5L - right?
    I doubt it :whistle:

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

When on track the car is always locked to 5L, no matter what's set in setup menu.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. BrunoB

Then it must be placebo working because I feel a huge difference if I in F-UltiG1 set fuel to 1L vs full tank(147L).:D

7. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

There's always going to be a large difference between a canned experience like TT where the conditions are set to be optimum and the same for every minute you are out there and an evolving track...

The new tyres should make this gap much larger and force people to practice in test day rather than on TT for their online events if they don't want their tests spoiled by the AI... Just to have some kind of feel for how they'll be in the events conditions as that'll be more important...

With the old tyres I often found I was faster than the TT records in race trim midway through a decently long race...

8. BrunoB

This is incorrect.
    As an example then check the tire temp, engine temp, turbo thrust(temp) when you start and after about the end of first lap.
    Too agressive settings make the tires to melt the engine to blow and the turbo to stop.:whistle:

ByTheWay: What you are implying does count for example iRacings TT sessions - but not for AMS2s.:cool:

9. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

By the way the track conditions do not change... It's the same every time you load it up... ;)

The car is only needed for 3 laps if the car has only hards as an option... And a 3 lap set up will blow up during a longer race stint... ;)

Time trial is very different to test day or a race weekend... Each different weather condition requires a different set up to get the best grip vs tyre life balance as does rubber on the road... ;)

10. BrunoB

To see if I could prove my doubt sane I did run some fast laps using my best setup with 3 different amount of fuel.
    1L, 35L and 145L(full)
    As can be seen it was on track Yahuarc-something + F-UltiG1.

Test:
    It was obvious for me that the car felt very flimsy and hard to control with 1L fuel.
    With 145L fuel the car felt much more heavy but easier to control.
    The 35 version behaved like something in between.

Result
    I did set a new personal laptime with the 145L fuel (= #2 on LB).

Problem
    But the only thing I was able to prove is that placebo does work :rolleyes:

Because eventhough I could feel that the car responded a bit slower and felt more heavy with the 145L - then it was probably because I did know what the fuel amount was.
    And in real scientific placebo trials then none of the people involved in the trials is allowed to know the placebo status before the trial is over.:whistle:

Yahuarc-something.png