Monitor or TV?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bull Shark, Jun 10, 2023.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Hi all,

I’m on the scout for a new monitor/TV.
    I will use it on my PC for AMS2 of course and some other sim race titles. But I also have an Xbox Series X and ordered a PS5. (Later on this year I’ll buy a PSVR 2 as well. For now only pancake mode.
    What is wise to buy? A HDR gaming monitor or an HDR 4K TV?
    I can imagine that a 47 inch 4K TV is a bit to big for the close distance it will be placed.
    I want to race with the Xbox and PlayStation as well. Forza 7 and GT7. Just for the fun.
    The problem is, I don’t know what is wise or best. Monitor or TV screen. I’ve read that the PS5 has no VVR compatibility whit an 1440p screen.

What do you use for racing? Is this on PC or console etc..
    Any help is welcome. :D

2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

for gaming you want a monitor. Due the pixels and DPI. TV is for to be watched for a distance. 2 3 4 5 6 meter.

TV will be fine with a console, but the pixels will be huge af at a close distance even with 4K. Also TV's often have a "large" inputlag, unless it has a gaming mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Yeah that is what I think of it as well. But I see a lot of ‘sim racers” using a TV. So I’m curious why they choose a TV over a decent gaming monitor.

4. Kro

Kro Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I have used 50" 4k TVs and they are "ok" but like Marius said the pixelization combined with the input lag will be noticeable & make a big difference especially if you play any FPS shooters.
    What I have now is the Phillips Xbox 55" gaming monitor with 120hrz available for consol and 144hrz for PC. This thing is amazing it has HDR and all kinds of different game modes as well as a tv/movie mode, it can also be split into up to 4 sections/monitors each allowing different inputs so you can have your Xbox, PS5, and PC all hooked up and switch between the 3 on full screen or have them going at the same time with the picture in picture style screen splitting !! :eek: I did have to spend a small fortune on it but I have no regrets, this thing is amazing I play everything in 4k 144hrz, AMS2 & all my other sims run like a dream on it! its huge but i love it:D
    Amazon.com: PHILIPS Momentum 559M1RYV 55’’ 4K HDR Gaming, Designed for Xbox, 4K @ 120Hz (PC @ 144Hz), Low Latency, HDR 1000, Bowers & Wilkins Speakers, Ambiglow, 4Yr Advanced Replacement, Black : Video Games

• Like Like x 1
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

OLED

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Bull Shark

Haha yeah I can imagine how happy you are with such screen. But that is a bit out of my price range.

7. Bull Shark

Yeah oled but those are to expensive to my liking. I’m looking for a screen which costs around €600.

• Like Like x 2
  8. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Haha, nice to see you out shopping for simracing toys again, I knew you wouldn't stay away for long :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Bull Shark

I’ve been just a couple of months without sim racing :D I do bought a DD wheel and a “simplified’ rig. Bought an Xbox series X and ordered a PS5 for racing in VR again. Only a better monitor is still missing. I have a 32 inch in my mind. A 1440p will do. 120hz. Just for the consoles, as my old monitor is a 27 DTP monitor IPS 1440p. Awesome but only 60Hz. And not really suitable for gaming.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Could it not be a problem with burn-in or permanent image retention on OLEDs.
    I mean if the TV (or monitor) is used displaying the same menus or picture borders for hours then...
    I have a former high end plasma TV and eventhough the problem was called solved I can see some ghost images from different channel logos.
    After years use.
    I dont wanna be told that the problem is completely solved on newer OLEDs - but is asking because I have a few friends with OLED tvs and they admit the problem still exist.

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Certainly a risk but if you play in shorter sessions i think they are pretty good at mitigating the burn in. The benefit of OLED is pretty huge and if money is available i think its worth it. We got one for the lounge room which my 12 yr old son plays Fortnite and Rocket League for hours at a time and no burn in at all after 6 months of 5 hours sessions on the weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bull Shark

Well I’m planning to order the LG 27GP850P-B UltraGear 27" 165Hz IPS.
    Good affordable and better for gaming than my IIyama 1440p IPS running at 60Hz.
    I looked also for a 32inch 1440p screen but the PPI is to low to my liking. 27inch 1440p is the sweet spot I guess.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Then you are probably right.
    There are also slowly comming some OLED gaming monitors, so maybe the producers are getting better to handle this.
    And as I understand it the responce time and input lag is almost zero :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

100% monitor for gaming

15. Gio U

Gio U Member AMS2 Club Member

I debated for a long time whether to move from a monitor to TV for PC gaming and for work. In the end I thought I'd try it .. worst case I'd just return it. I wanted a large screen and the price of large monitors was very high.

As soon as I plugged in and set it up, a big smile came over my face and there was no way I was going back to a monitor. I opted for the 48 inch 4K LG OLED CX TV which had perfect blacks, 120Hz, HDR, VRR and a host of other things. For work, I change the display to 3840x1662 so I am not straining and for gaming I set it back to 3840x2160 and turn on HDR. Takes a couple of seconds. I can even use it as normal TV on the odd occasion. For price/performance and sheer quality of the display, it is very hard to beat.

Also, I've been using it for more than 10 hours a day for nearly 3 years without a spec of burn in or anything weird.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. randomracesuk

randomracesuk RRUK

As prices slowly come down, my personal choice for gaming Defo at least a 144 Hz Monitor.

17. Bull Shark

I’ve bought a new 27 inch 165hz 1440p monitor. :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. LeonHodges

LeonHodges New Member

An HDR-enabled 4K TV can deliver a more immersive experience.
    Or if not, you can buy a computer monitor of about 2k, but it's okay, but how much is your budget?

19. JohnHoldsworth

JohnHoldsworth New Member

This is useful information. I would also like to recommend Blazzio. There is a lot of different interesting content there, which will help you to pass your time in a fun way.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  20. bucky7300

bucky7300 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Price. my tv is amazing in 4k on pc or tv and clear no matter what distance...I do however play my games on my 1440p monitor mainly because I watch my tv too and just my setup would make it inconvenient to watch my tv plus my monitor refresh rate is more than double of my tv

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1