No steering wheel or pedals in AMS2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Jezza819, Jul 25, 2023.

1. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

HI,
    I'm brand new to PC racing and AMS2. I just got my own PC last Friday. First thing I did was to purchase AMS2 on Steam. I have a Fanatec CSL DD base and a Formula V2 rim. They have been working perfectly with AMS2 and I've been having a blast learning the various cars and tracks.

But tonight something very strange happened. I launched the game as usual but noticed that my wheel did not light up like it usually has, or I think it has. Went in to test drive a car, still no gear indicator or anything. The car leaves the pitlane on pit limiter and my wheel has no FFB at all. Car gets to pit out so I'm in control but there is no steering plus the pedals aren't responding so the car is just rolling down hill at idle and I can't control it or even stop it.

Relaunched the game several times, still nothing. Turned off the wheel and unplugged it several times, still nothing. Just to double check it wasn't the wheel I went into the only other two games I have, ACC and F1 23 to test and the wheel worked fine in both of them. So for some reason tonight AMS2 isn't letting me use a wheel. But in configurations it does show it just as it has from the beginning.

I need help.

I'm very glad to be a part of this forum now. I'm not very tech savy and like I said earlier this is my first time doing PC racing so I will probably be asking for help a lot. AMS2 is an awesome game and I really hope it's not something serious that has stopped my equipment from being recognized by the game. I really want to play again.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Use the legacy wheel preset in game. Try that

• Like Like x 1
  3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Sounds strange.
    If it wasnt because the wheel/pedals are working in other sims I would say its a HW issue.
    But from your description it sounds like the AMS2 suddenly dont recieve signals from wheel/throttle.
    Beside the legacy "solution" best you can hope is that the 1.5 upd if/when it comes will change your situation ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

Like I said earlier, everything worked fine over the weekend. When I came into work Monday morning I discovered that I had three Internet Explorer icons for the games on my work desktop. I quickly deleted them. Get home last night and discovered all three game icons were missing from the home PC. Reinstalled them and launched AMS2 and found the no wheel problem in. Go into ACC to check it but it seems that everything has been reset to defaults. I had to put my name back in, turn on Fanatec LED's, switch to MPH, the whole thing. F1 23 came up normally but I just went in to do a quick time trial to test the wheel. I didn't look to see if my progress had been lost. But I didn't have to log back in unlike ACC.

Again with me being not so tech savy I didn't know I needed to turn off sharing on all of my devices That's why whatever I did at home showed up here at work and vice versa. When I deleted those icons here at work, it deleted them at home also. So unless somehow that screwed things up causing AMS2 to not get signals from the wheel and pedals, the only thing I know left to try is to completely uninstall AMS2 and reinstall and cross my fingers that it works.

5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Yeah as you describe it it sounds like you screwed something up with your delete-reinstall files.
    Reinstall of the whole game is probably the only solution looking forward.
    A small thing then check out advices of how to get really rid of any traces of the old install.
    But before that you can allways make a backup of your settings and setups from the Documents folder.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kute

Kute Member

sounds like you deleted something of value maybe, I'd re-install

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Try recalibrating the wheel in AMS2 and reassign the axes/functions in edit assignments. Also, does the base have a switch to turn it between PC/PS4/Xbox? That can sometimes get knocked.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

It does have a switch to change modes on the base but it goes by colors. Red light is PC mode, amber is compatibility which AMS2 and ACC use, and green is Xbox mode. But I made sure I was in the correct amber mode. I did go in and look at the assignments and it looked like things such as steering and throttle, brake were assigned to axis somethings which I thought looked odd but since I didn't look at them when the wheel was working I didn't know what it should be.

I was afraid of that when I walked into work this morning and saw those icons again. But this time I haven't deleted them yet I just hid them. Someone else advised to try and just delete the AMS2 documents folder first. But if you do that does simply relaunching the game create a new one?

Yeah that's just my luck. I just thought I was deleting the icons but sounds like there was more in there. :(

9. John Hargreaves

Even though it has the axis/wheel assignments on the screen, for some unknown reason, the game can 'lose' the wheel, sometimes out of nowhere. Just double check and reassign the axes and buttons, then recalibrate the wheel, and you can try doing that in the reverse order as well.
    Another thing to try before nuclear options is to delete the AMS2 folder in My Documents (the game will make a new one next boot), and do an integrity check of the game files in Steam.
    All this will only take a few minutes and will eliminate some of the more common issues.

edit: it will take a bit longer the first time, but this sort of thing is part of PC simracing, and if you see it as a learning experience and part of the fun (and occasional frustration) it helps to retain ones sanity. You'll get it sorted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alegunner68

Alegunner68 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's happened to me a few times, even though all the buttons are still mapped I had to rebind everything.
    Happened last when I updated the Fanatec driver.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

It's best to start with deleting the folder first correct? That seems like the easiest option. But if there is no response from the wheel or pedals, how do you assign those functions? If you're assigning the brakes don't you have to step on the pedal?

Oh I expected a very steep and I mean STEEP learning curve getting into PC racing. I can't remember the last time I tried to do anything that went smoothly. One thing I've got to get hammered into my brain is DO NOT DELETE THINGS UNTIL YOU KNOW IT'S SAFE.

12. John Hargreaves

I'd probably try the assignments/calibration first as it takes very little time, if that doesn't work, delete the folder, then run the game and it will be like a fresh install where you have to set all graphics, control options etc. from scratch. It's generally best to do the simple stuff first, is it plugged in etc, then work your way up to the more tricky stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

EDIT: I did try to assign something easy like the gas pedal last night but since there was no communication from the pedal or wheel, it didn't do anything. Or do you have to go in and tell it what to assign instead of physically pushing a button or pedal? I did also try calibration but can't remember what it told me. Obviously it didn't work either.

When I first started the game last Friday I just went straight in. I didn't set any buttons, change any graphics, etc. What ever default is was fine. But with that being said it might be better to at least make some changes to that because things on the wheel that used to control functions on Xbox certainly control something else now.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  14. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

Same. I notice it most if I've just driven a different sim, it's like it 'locks' controls for AMS 2, somehow. I try to restart my PC before launching which seems to mostly avoid it. Think it's sometimes a weird G Hub update for me.

Anyway yeah, kind of annoying but only a few minutes to reset. You can check it's still working before going to track by clicking the wheel calibration tool and seeing if the wheel is turning the in-game graphic (then exiting the tool if it is).

15. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

Got my wheel and pedals back. WHEW!!!! Deleting the AMS2 folder and reloading did the trick. I can't thank everyone in here enough for their help.

Strange thing though. When I came home tonight one of the first things I thought I would do on the new PC was to go in and turn off the sharing thing that allowed this PC and my work PC to share back and forth. But when I went into the setting, it was already turned off. So I don't know how the things got swapped back and forth.

• Like Like x 1
  16. John Hargreaves

Glad you got sorted mate, can't imagine there's many in this forum who haven't had plenty of headscratching moments with PCs and games. You've got a good setup there, let's hope you can enjoy discovering all the racing goodies that are out there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

Thanks. Yes I need to put my specs in my signature like you have.

Next step, mods. Then looking around at some other games.