Nordschleife 1971

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Andrew Hollom, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I have a question for the developers (or anyone "in the know") about this upcoming track - Is the Metzgesfeld to Kallenhard section going to be correct? I ask because the GPL version is incorrect, as is the 1967 Nordschleife in the rFactor2 Steam Workshop, which both have a shallow left sweep leading into a sharper left followed by a right kink into the (short) straight to Kallenhard, when the fast left sweep should be a longer left that aligns with the straight to Kallenhard.

If you have a read of Nürburgring - Wikipedia and look at Nürburgring, you'll see a description in the former and a map showing the change in the latter.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Ha nice, I've wondered about this myself. I haven't been able to find old footage or images which clearly shows this part of the circuit though.

3. blanes

blanes Member

Wow is this really being recreated by Reiza for AMS2 ? Please link me where it is mentioned as I have been away for a long time and only just went for a drive today.

That would be so awesome to have the Old Nords to drive on !

4. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

5. Andrew Hollom

I'd already read that, but unfortunately It doesn't mention the specific aspect I was talking about.

1971 is a slightly unfortunate choice of year, as it was more like the light brown hell than the green hell due to all the earthworks to install all the barriers, at least for that year's German Grand Prix.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Indeed, the track looked very brown and lifeless during the 1971 German GP event. I hope that Reiza will use some creative freedom and add more green foliage when racing in the spring and summer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

100% agree.
    But let’s still be not to negative. It’s super-awesome that it will come to ams2. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andrew Hollom

I've looked at loads of footage to try and find this section too, and failed - till now!

Have a look at
    , and if you skip to the following times (04:26, 09:06, 17:46, 18:20, 20:50, 24:50 and 25:14), you'll see the Metzgesfeld sequence that leads to Kallenhard. This footage is from 1971 and it goes totally against my references that state the changes happened in 1973, as it is clearly the same layout as exists today.

There were changes made to enhance safety while the German Grand Prix was held at the Hockenheimring in 1970, but I thought that was mostly barrier work (hence all the bare earth around the circuit that makes it look a bit ugly). However, this footage shows that this sequence was probably remodelled during this break as well, and not in 1973 as my references suggest.

Anyway, more digging is required to confirm exactly when it was changed, but at least if this section is as it is today, then it's correct.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  9. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To be honest I can't imagine that Reiza wants to reproduce that Mad Max scenery and instead go for a rich green. At least I hope so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

great find, wow! maybe racingcircuits.com needs an update on this!

it would be more accurate ;). Maybe in time Reiza can do a late 70s version in which the grass has grown. :whistle:

The video found by Andrew doesn't do the colors justice, actual photographs from the time give a better idea:

German GP: 1971 Photo
    https://www.motorsportimages.com/photo/1017322931-german-gp/1017322931/?p=3&location_id=223&year=1971&is_grayscale%5B0%5D=0
    1971 German Grand Prix. : 1971 Photo
    1971 Formula 1 World Championship: 1971 Photo

• Like Like x 1
  11. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Mad Max. Great idea :D

00-WB-Mad-Max-Fury-Road.jpg

12. JustinCase

JustinCase Member

Found this little gem on YT;

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

i see much bad physics.
    Oh wait......
    ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Amazing how people drove without seat belts back then, also how much car safety has advanced. The disregard for safety back then is astonishing, when looking at it with hindsight.

15. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Being an old fart my first car (1960's clunker) didn't have belts and even when they became compulsory to use in the UK (1983) plenty of people moaned about it and didn't use them. There were TV adverts back then of the injuries you would get from going through the windscreen in a crash to encourage people to not be quite so dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Wolfgang Herold

some sights from 1965
    start at 39:40

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Wolfgang Herold

Caution!
    This offer may be the wrong one :)