1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Not sure if you are right. I always wait until at least everyone has a time in practice , then go to Qualy and wait until everyone has a time before entering the race. Otherwise the AI is faster than expected.
    (Perhaps this is changed due to updates)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Obviously, this issue still happens with some car classes and tracks.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

AI speed is not affected by running a P or Q session.

The ordering of the AI, as @Marnus Zwarts pointed out, is affected by running a Q session prior to the race. Instead of a random ordering, the cars will start closer to their capabilities and speeds, which usually results in a cleaner (better, less chaos) race experience.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

• Car / Track used: Multiclass race, Copa Classic (the one with the Chevette) and Copa Fusca. Noted in Interlagos Classic, Cascavel, Nordschleife (problem does not seem to be track related)
    • AI Strength setting: 105
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): N/A
    • AI Aggression setting: 60
    • Session Distance: Q=12min, R=30min
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Dry
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Q and Race
    The fuscas are nearly as fast as the Classic Touring cars, which should not be the case if I consider the leaderboard as a reference. The fuscas should me slower

5. Luciano Santos Filho

• Car / Track used: Multiclass race, P1, P2, P3, P4, GT3, GT4 / Nordschleife
    • Session Distance: Q=12min, R=60min, R=4h
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Q and Race
    I tried to race with this field in the AJR for 1h, and I knew I had to pit at the end of lap 7. None of the AI did so and they all retired at the 8th lap. Out of fuel, I guess.

Then I did a test and let the same field race for 4h. None completed the race! Quite disappointing, with so much good endurance content in the game.

I know this is not EXACTLY the kind of issue for this thread but seems clearly an AI issue. I have to move it elsewhere please let me know.

UPDATE: FIXED!... I had the "PIT STOP REFUELING ALLOWED" set to "NO"!
    Now, I don't remember this option and, if it was there before, I certainly had it set to YES since I did races with refueling before and never tried to do otherwise. So I guess something strange happened in some update.

I would suggest to move this option the "RULES & REGULATION" session

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Nordschleife?

7. Luciano Santos Filho

Sorry, yeah, fixed

• Like Like x 1
  8. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Porsche 962 / Group C
    Track: VIR Grand West / ingame named VIR International Grand
    Weather: Light cloud
    AI: 100% skill, 60% aggression
    Race type: 15 lap race, 20min practice, 15min qual, standing start
    Field: Same class

AI is slow in the following corners

- T5a to T6b (Snake)
    - T12: their approach here is good (T11) however the AI slows down throughout T12
    - T13
    - T15a to T16 (especially T16 is very slow, I often can bump the AI here)
    - T17a to T19b
    - T22a to T23

I know this might be a track and config which is not used often (though it is awesome!) but it would be great to see some AI improvements here. Basically the AI is slow in the whole infield (T13 - T19b).

Another question regarding VIR: is it possible to also get the Grand East Course someday?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Adding to this, Formula AI is a second quicker than the player in the T4b-T5a complex, and another 7 tenths quicker from T20 to T21.

I also just drove a race at Imola offline, again using V10 Gen2, and it was predictably not fun at all, felt like racing against an alien species and had the same issues that have been discussed several times in this thread, namely the AI braking far too early (most notably for all of the three chicanes, but also for the second to last turn) and accelerating with warp speed (most notably out of T1, but also out of the hairpin and out of Varianta Alta).

I really hope there's a fix planned for this, because it's making me feel helplessly frustrated with a game I really, really want to love.

10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Notes:
    1. Default setup (which means not optimal for the track at all), AI 100/50
    2. AI too slow on straights, but later in the race they become way faster (fuel loads?)
    3. AI too slow out of the chicane, but as before, later in the race they become faster
    4. Shouldn't soft tyres degrade much faster? They barely have any wear, at least on the HUD. Personally couldn't notice downgrade in performance, but I'm also not skilled enough to judge
    5. AI brakes deeper than Ricciardo
    6. AI still struggles to overtake another AI
    7. At race start, even though I qualified P2 the rolling start AI controlled put me ahead of P1
    8. AMS2 looks great, feels great but the AI doesn't behave 'natural-like' enough imho
    9. On the banked corners it is very noticeable the car seems to be bottoming out (after all, default setup is not made for that scenario). Does it affect the physics at all or is it irrelevant?
    10. Predicted laps per fuel load on the setup screen is wrong (tip: always load 1 more lap than the race length)
    For reference, did a 15 lap race at Mugello in AC with the F4 Tatuus FA01 (both car and track are Kunos made). This combo actually works in AC:

The way the AI behaves feels much more natural than AMS2 AI, but also could notice they are a little bit slower through T6, T7 and T8.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Addition:
    You accelerate very well out of corners, yet the AI manages to leave you in the dust; see at 12:32 and 15:10 for two great examples of this. To be fair though, it doesn't seem as extreme as it is on some other combinations. Losing 6 tenths in two corner exits is still not really enjoyable racing, though.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

AI in formula cars still go over grass full blast as if it was the street and never ever spin. Devs finally need to decrease their grip level.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Luciano Santos Filho

I would like to add that I did another test, this time with fuel consumption and tyre wear in the "Accelerated" option (I guess it is x2 and honestly I would like it to be named so).

I did this because I have done it before, and the AI had pitted at least once (the race was 1h long IIRC). Based on the results, I think some of the AI did managed to pit once this time, but none completed the race (see attached file).

I hope it can be fixed.

UPDATE: FIXED!... I had the "PIT STOP REFUELING ALLOWED" set to "NO"!
    Now, I don't remember this option and, if it was there before, I certainly had it set to YES since I did races with refueling before and never tried to do otherwise. So I guess something strange happened in some update.

I would suggest to move this option the "RULES & REGULATION" session

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
  14. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Cadillac DPi
    Track: Jacarepagua 2005
    Weather: Light cloud to random
    AI: 100% skill, 60% aggression
    Race type: 25 lap race, 20min practice, 15min qual, rolling start
    Field: Multiclass with GT3s

Overall I was surprised how good the DPi AIs managed traffic. There were only two or three situations where they could have been less hesistant but that's exactly the same I have also seen with humans....so...thumps up.

Curva Um
    the AI is good and fast in the first half of the corner however in the second half they tend to drive more on the outside of the corner instead of sticking to the inside (as I drive).

Girao
    I have the impression the AI has more grip here. Or my driving is bad here. :D

Box
    Imo the AI could take this corner more aggressively, take more inside curb.

One thing I noticed in the dark (had time acceleration set to 10x): the headlights of the DPis behind me seemed to flicker inside my cockpit (VR user here). It felt a bit like a police car following me. With white sirens. :D

[​IMG]

15. Luciano Santos Filho

• Car / Track used: Multiclass race, Opalas (79 & 85), Classic Turing (B & FL), Copa Fusca
    • AI Strength setting: 100
    • Session Distance: Q=12min, R=30min
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race
    Every Opala (79 and 85) ran out fuel and retired in the last lap.

16. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Any reason for the BMW (AI) to pull to the left and to hit me?
    In race when lapping me.
    ss143334.jpg ss143355.jpg ss143413.jpg

17. Apex

Apex Active Member

I hate to say this but every time I return to this game I'm just sooo disappointed... I used to be fairly passionate about AMS2 and had high hopes for its future, but many of the bugs and glitches from the release remain, and it's like the AI is getting worse with each update. I actually prefer the PC2 AI, and even the physics over the current AMS2 build.

I wish Reiza would/could focus on fixing what we've got and paid for rather than adding more stuff that will only make it harder for them to attain an acceptable level of consistency across the many classes.

Sorry for the rant - I'm gonna uninstall and take a long break. Maybe I'll see things differently some time next year.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. Luciano Santos Filho

Probably misjudged your line while looking for space. Real people also do that sometimes... That being said, sure the AI can be improved for this scenario, but I think the devs will be able to analyze it better if you give the data suggested in the OP

19. Luciano Santos Filho

• Car / Track used: P1, P2, P3, P4, GT3, GT4 (I don't think it is track related, have seem it in Nords, Cascais and Outon Park)
    • Session Distance: Q=12min, R=60min
    The P4 driven by the AI is faster than the P2 and P3 cars. Considering the leaderboard, that should not be so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep the P4 AI literally outclass the player, there’s no real point to racing them at the moment. I hope this observation made it into the spreadsheet alluded to in the dev update.

• Agree Agree x 1