1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

it is a general issue in AMS 2 with many car/track-combos.
    Faster cars do very often not overtake slower ones by cutting them out on the inside before corners, but want to go back to ideal racing line by force and ram opponent's car. Other spots where you can observe this behaviour quite well is the braking zone before Ascari chicane in Monza or the entry of corner 1 in Monza 1991.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Question in regards to AI when authentic assists are enabled.

I did a GT4 race at Jerez, McLeran, base tune, AI strength at 110% max aggression full damage.

Entering corners the AI could break much deeper and harder than me, putt through the corner slower than me, than blast out of the corner.

Several times, I was side by side exiting the last corner with AI on the outside...a few times slightly ahead.
    With my foot to the floor I could see in the telemetry TCS was limiting my power output and the AI would blast by and have nearly a two car gap by the end of the straight entering t1.

Even on straights the AI, not even using my draft were catching me from 1sec back.
    I thought my throttle pedal wasn't giving full output but it was fine.

What I did notice which was a bit odd, was the onboard TCS indicator in the McLeran was lighting up on entry and throughout the entire corner and for a good portion out of the corner, limiting my full throttle output.

So is this TCS issue not working properly, or are the AI not effected by Authentic assists...or unoptimized AI?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ALAIN LEFEBVRE

ALAIN LEFEBVRE Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello everyone.
    Once again I would like to say how great AMS2 and its AI is, but if it can be improved further then let's go!
    With great caution, I would like to make two suggestions: one very specific and the other very general.
    Let's start with the precise: on the historic Spielberg version (74 and 77), on the big right going up (the second bend on the 74 version and the right bend well after the chicane in the 77 version), I noticed that, systematically, the AIs are very slow (all cars combined) when exiting this curve on the right (fast and uphill). Much slower than normal and I think it deserves a fix.
    More generally, I see that the combativeness of the AI tends to collapse once we have managed to take the lead and widen a small gap. It's as if they gave up fighting considering that I had won the race when this was obviously not the case and that my rhythm remained the same (it is the rhythm of the closest AIs which suddenly decrease).
    I do not know if others have observed the same phenomenon and therefore, I offer this observation with caution.
    Regards.
    =====
    Bonjour à tous.
    Une fois de plus, je voudrais dire combien AMS2 et son AI est formidable mais, si on peut encore l'améliorer alors, allons-y !
    Avec beaucoup de prudence, je voudrais faire deux suggestions : une très précise et l'autre très générale.
    Commençons par la précise : sur la version historique de Spielberg (74 et 77), dans le grand droite en montant (le second virage sur la version 74 et le virage à droite bien après la chicane dans la version 77), j'ai constaté que, systématiquement, les IA sont très lentes (toutes voitures confondues) en sortie de cette courbe à droite (rapide et en montée). Bien plus lente que la normale et je pense que cela mérite une correction.
    D'une façon plus générale, je constate que la combativité des IA à tendance à s'effondrer une fois qu'on a réussi à prendre la tête et à creuser un petit écart. C'est comme si elles renonçaient à se battre considérant que j'avais course gagnée alors que ce ne s'est évidemment pas le cas et que mon rythme est resté le même (c'est le ryhtme des IA les plus proches qui a subitement baissé).
    Je ne sais pas si d'autres ont constaté le même phénomène et donc, je propose cette constatation avec prudence.
    Cordialement. Mon salut respectueux à l'équipe des devs !

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nano

Nano New Member

Agree! It feels like the code ist just missing a query. As of now the AI sometimes doesn't seem to check if cars are next to them as soon as they hit the brake (though it also happened on a straight at the racestart once..). I saved a few replays of these incidents and might link a video later.
    This problem really bothers me as you're completely defenseless against this AI behaviour.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. sparco

sparco Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello,
    I noticed a problem of synchro between the wheel angle on sreen vs irl.
    If i turn by 90* in real, on screen it is about 75*...
    Thanks

6. Pandytim99

Pandytim99 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

what on earth was that lmao?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A perfectly legal defending maneuver :whistle:. That was some Nascar Thunder rage mode by the AI there, too funny.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mazdaspeed

How many degrees is your wheel? If you have it at 900, most racing cars use less than that, so the game is simulating the real lock of the car. I use anything between 420-540 and the motion is pretty accurate.

9. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

I have 900° in my wheel settings. No problems here. After a proper calibration of the wheel in game menu, 90° on my wheel are 90° in car.
    But if your wheel settings are about 1080° or higher, it is said that this can cause problems in some games with certain whels when it comes to this topic.

But I guess that this is in the wrong thread...:whistle:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
  10. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

Not the topic, but shouldn't your wheel configure itself for each car? Mine is 900º on Logitech Gamming Laucher and in AMS2 setup, but when using cars with less than that it simply block the "extra steering", keeping RL and ingame movements at sync.

11. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

You are right, but different wheels have different software. There should be a line anywhere in the software where you can choose whether the "auto lock" (or whatever it is called correctly in English) is controlled by game or not. If you activate game control, a car with let's say max rotation of 360° really only has 360 and movement should be sync to rl.

12. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

I can say that with the DFGT (that I use) things weren't anywhere near simple and some patience had to be wasted finding how to make it work, since both Logitech and Reiza don't give any support around it. But there was a time that I needed to play AMS2 with both the launcher and a table with each car's steering angle to keep adjusting as soon that I change the car. Glad that that days are far in the past lol

13. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

In three years the AI has been getting improvements, this is good, but what still frustrates me in longer races (my favorite), is the fact that there is no difference for them if the race has 10 or 40 laps, the pace (lap times) is the same from start to finish in both races.
    As an example, FV12 at Silverstone - AI 107%/High (V.1.4.6.4 and earlier)

Sorry if my interpretation is wrong, but I understand that in longer races with a heavier car (more fuel in the tank), naturally the initial lap times will be higher compared to the final laps, which happens with the human, but not with the AI.

Other issues for example that the AI seems to suffer no damage or penalties and that have already been exhaustively reported here, also add to the frustration.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. sparco

sparco Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello,
    Thanks for your post...
    I'm going to test your 900 degree advice but i always had the 'AUT' in the Fanatec settings.
    I think something changed with the last update...
    I let your know
    Thanks

15. Mazdaspeed

Regarding the long run pace, in my case its very car and track dependent. In my F-Vintage races the pace is consistent but those tires should last the whole race without much degradation. But still when the AI pit to fix damage, they are faster with the new rubber.

I also saw a lot of degradation for the AI in one of the F-Classics (cant remember exactly which gen) in Cascais, so there is some semblance of tire wear.
    What I think has even more problems is the fuel weight, the AI doesnt seem to be affected by it and even in the player case, the effect on laptimes is much smaller than it should be.

16. benvelor

benvelor Member

I don't now if i've missed something... but IA cars don't collide with each others, like as they are ghost cars... I see the rear wing enter in the cockpit of the car following in the pitlane, car penetrate into another cornering
    and they are fearful in overtaking making train on the track

17. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The first one is a terrible decision made by Reiza for whatever reason, so that is intentional.

The AI hesitating to overtake each other is a known issue since day 0, which Reiza still hasn't figured out how to solve.

18. benvelor

benvelor Member

thanks!
    I hope they can fix overtake issue, at least...
    AMS was not perfect but there were both collision and overtakes... o_O

19. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Spa 1970:
    Because of it's inability to have a proper overtake and trying to go side by side the three or four, the AI often turns the track into a slaughterhouse if damage is set to full.
    In addition, starting from the middle or end of the pack is a real pain, because cars in front of player often do some weird braking where they should not while guys from behind attack like crazy, completely blind for situation.

20. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

I agree in parts. In the case of the player, it depends on the combo, just as an example Lotus 98T, try with 10L and then with 180L, in Spielberg Historic the difference is more than 6s on the lap.

• Agree Agree x 1