1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

Car: Stock Car Brasil 2019
    AI Strength: 113
    AI Agression: High
    Weather: Dry
    Session settings: Any

I tested the 2019 Stock Car Brasil calender tracks with a few friends.
    Velo Citta and Interlagos are very nicely balanced and most tracks had roughly fitting laptimes at 113 strength.

Laptime difference to AI
    Velopark -0.3
    Velo Citta fitting
    Goiania +0.5
    Londrina -0.8
    Santa Cruz fitting
    Campo Grande -0.4
    Sao Paulo fitting
    Cascavel +0.3

Velopark
    SC19_Velopark.jpg
    Corner 4-6: very slow (slow entry, wrong line, slow exit)
    Corner 7-10: very fast (too much traction/stability and corner speed)

Goiania
    SC19_Goiania.jpg
    Corner Curva Um: slightly fast (more significant with heavier fuel loads in race)
    Corner Curva Zero: fast (too much exit speed)

Londrina Short SC19_LondrinaShort.jpg
    Corner 1/2: extremely slow
    Corner 6: slow (too cautious, slow exit)

Santa Cruz do Sul
    SC19_SantaCruz.jpg

Corner 10 & 11:
    slightly fast
    Corner 12: slow (wrong line)

Campo Grande
    SC19_CampoGrande.jpg

Corner 7: very slow (wrong line)
    Corner 8: slightly slow

Cascavel
    SC19_Cascavel.jpg

Corner 1: fast (weird line and too much apex speed)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. PocketsRJ

PocketsRJ Hi from UK!

GT3 at Monza 1991, the AI were pulling away from me quite easily, even though I was in the draft. Mercedes on default set (down to 2 downforce front/back), 93-level AI.

I haven't tested enough to say it's definitely a bug, so this is just a maybe :)

3. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Bathurst 1983:
    AI does crazy divebombs before last corner, coming from way behind and ramming car in front very often.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. TinMan_JB

TinMan_JB Member

• RC 1.4.7.0
    • SprintRace, Taruma chicane
    • AI Strength setting: 101%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): chicane
    • AI Aggression setting: high
    • Session Distance: 20min
    • Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    • Player Tyre: slick
    • AI Tyre: slick
    • Type of session : 20 min race (no practice, no qualification, start from p15, 20 AI opponents)
    AI cars are unable to negotiate the right-left-right double chicane if any AI or player is side by side with them, the AI in the inner part of the corner crashes into the first or secont anti-cut barrier. If single file, they go through OK, but side by side they crash almost every time. I left enough space on the inside of the first right or the second left, but they avoid the player too much and crash into the barrier.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I just tested this, and the AI doesn't pull away, for me they are easily overtaken due to their low cornering speed at 93.
    The top speed does not depend on the difficulty, if you use a lower setting such as 93, the cornering speed of the AI is lower but the top speed is not, so they will accelerate more or longer. Keep some distance from your predecessor before the corner and drive towards it in the corners then you can keep it up or even overtake it because you come out of the corner at a higher speed

• Like Like x 1
  7. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

AI still behave like tanks.
    When there is contact between player and them with damage set to high or max, they go on racing just as if nothing had ever happened, whilst player has to pit for a repair.

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. wanderschikanentv

wanderschikanentv New Member

• Car / Track used: Nordschleife Endurance with GT3 cars
    • AI Strength setting: 96
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Entry of Hatzenbach section
    • AI Aggression setting: low
    • Session Distance: 2 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Clear
    • Player Tyre:
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player):
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race
    Hi, I do quite a lot of AI racing on Nordschleife with GT3-grid. At the entry of the tighter part of Hatzenbach, there is a set of red-white tire stacks on the left-hand side of the track, very close to the road surface. Typically in the first lap, the pack of cars is still side-by-side, and in most cases, at least one of the cars on the left side will touch those tire stacks in a wall-tap style, be slowed down a lot and create a big pile-up of the grid.

It would be good if the AI cars could avoid those tire stacks. It is a pretty big immersion breaker, if this same accident happens in most starting laps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Estoril (Cascais) 1988
    F_Classic Gen 4
    AI is braketesting player in every corner, going way too slow. Goes through turn one as if it was a hairpin. While car in front brakes heavily, guy from behind attacks player like crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The AI seems to have regressed. There has always been the occasional "being spun by the AI", but now it's out of control. It isn't track specific. It's like collision detection is lost at times. Even in a straight line, I'm constantly getting spun out by the AI. Unplayable, as close racing with them is frustrating.

11. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Posted this already here but I don't know which thread is visited more often by the devs…?

Version: beta 1.4.7.2.2285.AVX
    Car used: Porsche RSR 74 (against full Classic field)
    Track used: VIR North
    AI Strength setting: 105
    AI Aggression setting: Medium
    Race Distance: Practice -, Qualify 20min, Race 8 laps
    Weather when the issue was observed: 2 slots, first medium cloud, second random
    Type of session when the issue was observed: Qualification, Race

- T5a throughout T5b: AI could be faster here (see video)
    - T9a throughout T9b: here I gain a lot of time, AI lifts(?) too much
    - T12b: here the AI also seems to lift the throttle a bit too much
    [​IMG]

12. Tornado

Tornado New Member

Are you referring to a specific update? when "AI regress" happened on your opinion?

13. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Specific cars and tracks?
    I am asking because I do not see this issue with the cars I mainly drive on most of the tracks. One exeption is Bathurst, where the AI is very aggressive in the esses down the hill. An other Bathurst 83, where they come from way behind before last corner, going for a divebomb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

AI hitting the player from the rear is caused by two things on my opinion, not that I think it's got worse of late. Generally the AI are overly avoident and give way too easily to the player IMHO!

Firstly I find the AI brake very early and gently, possibly even lift and coast before braking, then 2/3 into the braking zone they brake hard. When they do this hard braking it goes beyond the power of the players brakes so they can slow the car faster. That's when the collisions happen as they do not change lane in time. As the AI difficulty ramps the lift/coast/brake early disappears but the ability to slow faster than the player remains. Which leads to second point, if you run the AI difficulty too high and faster AI are behind you, rear ending increases because of the physics defying braking by the AI.

15. F_B

I had never an AI rear ending me. If this happens often to you it might be an idea to practice braking later? I mean that not as offence but in all honesty.

16. ChasteWand

ChasteWand Member

Paradoxical I've found the opposite, your less likely to be rear ended if you break slightly earlier and cover the inside line a little. The incidents where I get rear ended the most are when I brake slightly too late and as a consequence am slower at the apex. Breaking earlier and carrying more apex speed is the best way I've found to avoid being hit from behind.

Being hit from behind is however a rarity for me and happens mostly on tracks where the AI is poorly optimised and in corners where the AI are fast compared to the player. Never had it happen at Interlagos which is arguably the best track in the game for AI pathing and corner speed optimisation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Spielberg Historic 74 and 77:
    In all car classes, AI is extremely slow in Dr. Tiroch-Curve (the righthander up the hill at the end of sector one, leading into Schönberg-Straight).

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. F_B

That issue is there since day 1. Reported it several times already.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. madchief

madchief Active Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: Montreal Modern - F-USA Gen 3
    • AI Strength setting: 110
    • Corner: T2 hairpin, T6-7 chicane
    • AI Aggression setting: medium and high
    • Session Distance: quali 15 min, race 45 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: observed in both dry and wet/damp with AI using both slicks and wet tires
    • Description: AI has waaay too much grip out of T2 hairpin and T6-7 chicane onto the straight. In a quali session (with fuel and tire wear) at 110 stength they rival WR TT times. Same happens in race sessions.

Also to note: in races if the AI is in a big group they form a train coming into the T10 hairpin, otherwise in smaller groups or when battling the player they will gladly go for optimistic moves

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Daytona Sports Car and Road Course:

AI is extremely aggressive in T1 and in the chicane(s), often ramming player from behind.

• Agree Agree x 2