Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Tornado

Tornado New Member

I surprised and quite disappointed that after this big update AI still hitting my car for no reason... I made a small video as example that shows you that AI just run into me and pushed me out of the track instead of just press brakes. My car is yellow and ahead of green car controlled by AI... you can see that AI car just hit me and pushed me out of the track without no reason.. it's disgusting :confused: :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Exactly what I reported in #1300

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Yes, when AI is off track limits, like the car in your video, it tends to force it's way back to track kinda brutally.
    There are still two other issues with AI in new version 1.5.3.4:
    1. AI still loves to brake on the apex of corners instead of having it's foot on the throttle again. When you are close behind them, you often feel braketested by them.
    2. They do some strange lateral moves in braking zones instead of sticking to their line. When you are beside them in order to overtake, you must be aware of that behaviour and keep distance to avoid a collision.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Essemo

Essemo Member AMS2 Club Member

I did a full length race (51 laps) at Monza 1991 track with the F-Classic Gen 3 cars. I found the experience with racing against the AI to be very good, nothing really to complain about except that I couldn't keep up with Senna!

One thing I did want to mention though was the pit strategy. I was a bit surprised to see all the AI pit once, about half way through the race. I guess they were pitting for tyres as I had switched off refueling in the settings to match the rules of that era.

I had planned and was able to get through the race on one set of tyres and was surprised that the AI couldn't do the same. I thought in that era of F1 pitting for tyres was not that common. I think they usually did the race on one set and only changed them if they needed to pit for other reasons.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Marcmesa

Marcmesa New Member

Today I played with the AI with different categories of cars, F1, Group C and GT3 and on different circuits, different difficulty and minimal aggressiveness.
    At the start of the race the AI has like 300 horsepower more than me, when I manage to overtake, it immediately overtakes me, brakes where it shouldn't and the worst pushes me violently off the track.
    They are on a rail and don't want to get out.
    They ruined all my races.
    I thought I had played the wrong game and that I had launched Forza Motorsport with their AI that Turn 10 sold to us as revolutionary.
    In short, a nice waste...

6. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Pit stops for tires were common. No speed limit meant they could get fresh tires losing less time than today, so it had a good pay-off. In my experience, a bit of more variety in AI strategies could be better (did you see any two-stopper? perhaps that strategy is inviable, but I doubt). I don't have actual data, perhaps everyone did a one-stopper in real races so this is actually realistic. I'll research a bit, but they stopping is definitely ok.

Edit: There exists some sort of a database of detailed race reports? I would love to see that...
    Edit2: I have found some datasets, so I guess someone programmed some webapp somewhere to view them (I have not found it yet). I have too many incomplete projects already to start playing with that :D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The AI only uses the soft tires, so in classes where there are more durable tires they always use softs. They did pit for tires back then, but some also didn't, so let's hope Reiza teaches the AI to use different tire compounds in the future so there are more varied strategies. That's an essential feature for the planned endurance content, so I am hopeful it's on their radar.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Mazdaspeed

Hyperbole much? Maybe you just need to lower the difficulty?

9. Mazdaspeed

That is very naughty of the AI indeed. I have played against the AI so much that I tend to avoid those scenarios and most of my incidents with them are on the first corners at the start of the race, after that I am having some excellent wheel to wheel with them, can't really complain much in their racing with me.

Between themselves it's another matter, though better, some issues still persists in their overtaking behavior and their super brakes when close to each other.

10. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Latest build as of today:

Cars: GTOpen Cars
    Track: Watkins Glen Short
    Settings: 100% Strength, Medium, High & Max Aggression.
    Issues:
    Turn 1
    AI are too slow
    Turns 3/4 up the hill they lose a bit of momentum because of their racing line compared to the Player car
    Turn 5 They are far quicker out of the corner than the Player Car which gives them too much advantage going into Turn 6.

WG-short.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Marcmesa

Marcmesa New Member

Lots of hyperbole. Yes ! exactly because the fanboys have a good version of the game and the others who have a life have a bad version.
    As for the AI I reduced it to 70 ................................

12. Michael3

Michael3 Active Member

Just leave room on the outside / inside if there's a car there and you won't collide. If you drive like you expect to be able to use the racing line on every corner then you'll have to be faster or slower than everyone else on the track. If you drive like there are other vehicles around you then it works.

And I get it that you might want to argue about who should have the right or way or whatever you think the rules should be - there's little point getting annoyed with AI they don't have feelings. I'm just explaining how it works now - you can have the AI punting you off at every corner or not entirely under your control - and the former is the way for that not to happen - don't turn into their path crossing your wheels.

13. Cholton82

Cholton82 Active Member

Seems strange , I’m no fanboy I play 3 Sims regularly but I raced GT3 / GT4 last night at Spielberg wet conditions difficulty 100 and High aggression and found them to be very good. I maintained position at P5 at the start and ended up finishing P2 . I chased an AMG through traffic towards the end and he negotiated it well.
    I will add I am using mods and was using the ADAC GT3 mod at the time but all in all the only ai I think I prefer is RF2 but that’s only because I like the errors they make but setting that up can be a pig.

14. Essemo

In my race a couple of AI did 2 stops but I think it was for repairs. All others did the 1 stop for tyres.
    I take your point that they did pit for tyres back then but I guess my point is more about how to manage it in game to get a realistic race against the AI. I was on soft tyres and could get through the race reasonably well without too much drop off in lap times which I guess was balanced by the decreasing fuel load but it was apparently different for the AI. I don't know if they have higher tyre wear or just a lower threshold for deciding how much tyre wear justifies pitting for a new set. It also seems different for different classes of cars. For example, with the F-USA Gen 1 cars, I usually have to pit for tyres more often than the AI. I think it would be good if the player had the ability to set and assign different tolerances and strategies for the AI - that would help to recreate some of the historical conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

GT1
    Hockenheim 2001
    100% Strength, Fuel usage and Tire degredation on maximum

In Qualifying all CLK LM drivers comes back into pits after the outlap, not completing a timed lap.

16. Mazdaspeed

Case in point :whistle:

17. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

I'll keep editing this post putting my oval tests so I avoid posting over and over again again.
    ----------------------------
    Car
    : Montana
    Track: Gateway Oval
    Settings: 102% Strength, Max Aggression, medium rubber, 60 lap races at x2 fuel/tires and then 40 lap races at x3 to do some retest under similar conditions.
    report: Racing-wise it is very good, they attack, they defend, they use the P2P, overall it is an amazing experience and as I said before one of the best things I have seen. Fuel is enough to about 30 laps in this config (20 in x3) and every AI pitted exactly in the middle. Since pits are very slow in this car it makes sense. However, in the first race I burned my tires in 20 laps thinking 30 was impossible (for tires) so everyone would do a 2 stopper... After the first stint I realized it is possible to make tires to last 30 laps but saving all the time. I did a one-stopper in another test, but to be fair, with a caution helping. Setup is baseline, so I guess I can improve tire degradation a bit (and also drive a bit more conservative even). However, I would expect some of them doing a 2-stopper, definitely... I think it is worth checking how they degrade.. I'll do a couple of more tests tomorrow and then switch to Indy.

18. Essemo

Did another full length race at Monza 1991, this time with the F-Classic Gen 1 cars. Qualified in mid-pack and had some good competitive and clean racing against the AI, so it was a very positive experience in that regard.

One point to note however was that more than half the field failed to finish the race, with most of them running out of fuel in the closing laps. I know that was not uncommon at the high speed tracks during this era but half the field seems a bit excessive, so perhaps the fuel usage settings or AI strategies for these cars might need some adjustment.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

New version and this problem persists, unfortunately. The Sigma is such a great car and still not useful in single player mode (which is apparently how this game is used for most players).

I can add Brasilia to the tracks I have tested it.

20. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Car: Nissan R390 GT1
    Track: Almost all tracks except the higher altitude ones
    Settings: 100% Strength
    Report: The Nissan is still the slowest car for AI under almost all conditions, usually by a good margin. I get that it is slower than the Porsche and Mercedes, but it was a more developed and quicker car than the McLaren and with custom AI at 1.0-0.80, the fastest McLarens are regulary in the top 5 in qualifying while the Nissans at 1.0 AI strength are usually about on par with with the slower of the other cars, even on a track like Hockenheim which should suit the Nissan really well.

On the high altitude tracks the Nissan being a turbo car is then on par with or faster than the NA McLaren and Merc but still a lot slower than the Porsche.

So either the Nissan is too slow or the McLaren too fast for the AI depending on what the goal is here, realistic depiction of the cars performances or close racing with the AI.

Here are screenshots of Hockenheim 2001 and Kansai but it applies to about every track to some degree. I also added my AI file for reference, I have custom liveries for some of the Porsches however so these need to be adjusted for testing.

Attached Files: